Gothic 3 Finally, a few questions for a GIII beginner

Pladio

Guardian of Nonsense
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Hello,

I have finally found a computer which works with close to no stutters for GIII and have started playing. I'm currently in Reddock.

I have several questions I hope you guys can help me with...

First off, I'm currently level 3 and haven't spent any LPs yet.
I would like to role-play as much as possible and as such would like to enjoy playing the game with easy difficulty, AB and AAI on. I was wondering if role-playing an orc-mercenary is possible and not too hard. I would want not to do any Rebel questlines unless it can help my character achieve something for his orc masters or for personal gain. However, I do want to advance the story line from time to time and so I hope this is possible while playing an orc mercenary...

I don't mind doing the FedEx quests for the rebels, but I wouldn't want to liberate cities. Is all of this possible for a first go through the game. I am planning to keep as much replayability in this game since I have waited years to finally being able to play it properly.

I also want to play as a warrior, but I want to be able to get good items from chests too, so I think I'd have some kind of warrior with some thieving abilities.

Do I have to invest in other skills, like hunting, alchemy, magic and so on ?

Any more advice ?

More questions to come as I move along the game. :D

Thank you everyone.

EDIT: I have more questions and am level 5 now in Cape Dun. I have no idea how to invest my LPs without wasting them. Can anyone help with this ?

Last edited:
Doing (almost) all rebel quests while role-playing an Orc mercenary should be easy to justify as infiltrating, and there's A LOT you can do without doing any liberations (I'm currently level 60 or so and haven't liberated anything yet). If a quest involves helping the Rebels but doesn't do any permanent damage to the Orcs, keep in mind you'll probably kill them later on anyway. ;)

Thinking about it, I think helping the Orcs would actually feel more interesting and rewarding in a way that helping the Rebels, which I'm doing.

Side-skill-wise Pick Difficult locks has been very useful for me, and Skin beasts as well but I'm sure the latter is worth the Hunting Skill investment early on, when what you really want is Strength.

Some tips for building a melee character would be to not do any arena fights until you have 250 Strength, as most of them award 1 Str each and the primary damage skills double in cost above 250 with AB. Also try to find as many Dragonroot and King's Sorrel as you can but wait until late game when you've gotten 60 Alchemy skill from books (it's possible even with AB) to learn the skill to make permanent potions. Each potion is worth 6 LPs over just eating the plant (4 vs 1 Str), provided you're above 250 Str, so you'll easily recoup the points spent learning it.

Thanks,

So should I spend the points I currently have on strength first, so I can get better swordfighting skills ? Or maybe on thieving so I can lockpick more chests first ?

Nice to see you again Toaster :)

I'd get lockpicking as early as possible as long as you feel that you can still kill things (beasts are a pain in melee, getting used to handling a bow can be useful). Hitting 150 Str and learning Strong swordfighter should make a difference.

The other solution is remembering where all the metal chests are and coming back later. ;)

I'd suggest going for the skinning and other trophy-related skills as soon as you can, because they'll help immensly with the gold flow (which can be a real problem around the beginning). A few of the starting quests reward you with hunting skill, and you can find a few goblin berries around too, so you're looking at about 40 learning points for it (25 for hunting skill, 3*3 for the trophy skills, and I'm not sure how much sneaking on animals is). Of course, you'll probably want to pour your first few levels worth of LP into strength anyway.

I'd get lockpicking as early as possible as long as you feel that you can still kill things (beasts are a pain in melee, getting used to handling a bow can be useful). Hitting 150 Str and learning Strong swordfighter should make a difference.
I agree about difficult locks but there is an alternative at 150 STR; you could also take large weapons I and get a Halberd. They're easy to find and have a long reach which helps in most fights.

He'll probably want to try out both; but I'm playing a mage in 1.7 so I can't say for sure.

Thanks again.

I've spent most of my points up to level 9 now though so I have another 30 points or so left.
The hunting skills cost more than what you said, because of the need for silent hunter so I had no money left for the skin reptiles one yet.
I did increase my strength a tiny bit too. I have a few more questions...

I managed to kill the whole Ortega gang since they only attack one at a time and even though AAI is on which make them block and fight better, they're still not so good. Do you think I should go up to Medium difficulty or is it going to get a lot harder ?

Also, in Gothic I all the items such as goblets and ladles and hammers had no use at all. So I could sell everything for nuggets, is there anything of these kind of items I might need for quests ? I've kept all of them till now, but they clutter my inventory and are starting to be worth quite a deal of money... Can I just sell all these caskets, silver goblets and so on ?

I'm going to get the fighting skills first and then the picking locks skills since I have a harder time fighting beats and I think that the skills make me hit faster, right ?

Also, waht about smithing and alchemy ? When should I get those ?

Thank you all again...

Caskets and goblets can be sold without a problem. Hammer's and I believe two other things like saws or shovels are used in a quest later on.(The stupid kind like 'get me ten hammers')

What about all the wolf skins I'm getting, along with the other trophies ? Will there be more quests for those too ?
Also, I'm almost at the point of getting the first swordfighter skill, but I have a really easy time killing most stuff including most animals ( not talking about shadowbeasts and I haven't tried attacking lurkers yet neither)... Should I go to medium difficulty or is it meant to be that way ?
Also, once I get the swordfighting skill, I'll get the pick difficult locks skill so I can finally open the metal chests :)
I'm almost level 11 now and at the edge of Montera...
I just met the rangers and helped them kill the orc patrol, since I'm a mercenary, but I still don't like the orcs :) IF they can't pay me, they have the right to die too.

Thanks for the help everyone:)

You'll have use for Wolf skins in Faring, so keep those for the time being.

About the difficulty, I guess you could just try and see how it goes? Medium difficulty will let two opponents attack you at once, and some other things I think.

I saved most of it until I wanted to buy some expensive armor just to be sure but from what I can remember you should hold on to at least bison and ice wolf skins, a few shadowbeast horns, teeth if you want make sharp arrows and sabertooth teeth.

Ok, medium is a lot harder. Not so much because they block better, even though that does make it harder, but because they come at me from two sides and I have no idea how to stop that...
It's good in the sense that it's a better chalenge, it's bad that I want to reload and pick them off one by one now ...

About the trophies, so no selling of anything lol :)

What about blacksmithing ? Is that something I should get too ?

Self-forged weapons get a +10 damage bonus and you can get the skill to hone blades for an additional 10 damage as well as a universal armor bonus so that's probably a good idea to pick up when you have the points to spare. I'm not sure how the weapons you can forge measure up with the ones you can find in Heavy chests and otherwise though.

Ok, so I just got difficult locks, but now I forgot where the metal chests were :( I only remember the ortega cave, the one near the lighthouse in Ardea and one more with the bandits on the way to Montera...

Well, I found Wenzel's sword, I'll probably stick with that one for now...
I don't really know where to head to right now, considering Trelis, because I'm not in the mood to help the warehouse guy with his fedexing...

The game is a lot of fun, medium is a lot harder though. Died three times killing those stray wolves when they all came at me at once lol

Is an armor as important as in the previous Gothics ? Going from no armor to peasant's trousers in GI already made a huge difference, is it the same here?

Also, is it worth investing in life points as well ? I'm still with my original 200 ...

Ok, so I just got difficult locks, but now I forgot where the metal chests were :( I only remember the ortega cave, the one near the lighthouse in Ardea and one more with the bandits on the way to Montera...

Off the top of my head, there's one right outside Cape Dun (where a pack of 3 hungry wolves was, kinda near the escaped slave too) and at least two (and probably more once you explore deeper) in the cave system just below Cape Dun. I know there was a fourth around too, just can't remember where exactly. If it wasn't obvious, I just started replaying G3 too, though I've not played much yet.

As for medium: yes, it's harder than I remember G3 being before. IMHO, it's the right "Gothic-level" of difficulty (whereas vanilla was too easy), so should be all good. Hard must be quite a bit harder, though.

Ok, I have two new problems...
What do I do with gold nuggets ? Are they just to be sold or quest-related ?
And Phil from Cape Dun doesn't talk to me anymore... Should I just hand him over to the Orcs or is there something else I can do to make him talk to me again ?

Well, all of that + the questions I asked before ...

Back
Top Bottom