RPGWatch - Game of the Year Awards 2014 - Best RPG

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
You have voted last week for the best RPG in 2014 and so has the RPGWatch team. For some odd reason both you our visitors and the RPGWatch team came to the same results. Want to know what those results are? Check it out here

More information.

Fair listing. Although I'm somewhat surprised by DA:I's high ranking given it's MMOness. Also surprised by editor and read picks syncing up to such a degree.

I was surprised as well by us being all so identical. We never were before :)
Although the last time we had editor awards was in 2011.

Great top 10 - 2014 was an excellent year for CRPG fans.

Exchange Lords of Xulima with DA: I and it would be perfect for me :)

I have yet to play
9 Dark Souls II
10 South Park: The Stick of Truth

Dark Souls II is the only Steam game that is not in the RPGWatch Steam Curation list. Anyone with a good 152 char description?

Last edited:
Yes, a good list and a great year for cRPGs; vastly better than 2009—just five years ago. Maybe there should be a retro award category?

Please note a typo: readch

I finally played about half of South Park: Stick of Truth based on some of the reviews/comments from members of this forum. I picked it up cheap during the holiday Steam sale. As a fan of the show, I was familiar with the characters, story, inside jokes, references, etc.

While there were several moments that made me chuckle, the game is literally one fetch quest after another. There were some clever gameplay elements to it and some things were done quite well, but in the end I quickly tired of the "go across town to pick up item x, and y, then come back" missions over and over. The combat also quickly became redundant, though I could see potential with the system, if expanded and refined for other, serious RPG titles.

As other reviews have mentioned, I did 'feel' as though I was part of a South Park episode, but when that novelty wore off I realized the game wasn't enjoyable enough to keep me interested. Unfortunately, that's also been my opinion of the television installments over the last half-decade or so. I 've since quit and uninstalled.

I don't know where I'd put the game on the top-10 RPG list for the year, if at all, but it apparently had enough of a following to finish #10 with voters here. I'd recommend it to fans of the show, only— specifically those who still find it as funny as it used to be.

weren't there more things to vote on than best RPG? I recall having to fill out like 6 pages or something?

weren't there more things to vote on than best RPG? I recall having to fill out like 6 pages or something?

Yep - Most Promising RPG for 2015 - will be another article I think.

Very pleased seeing D:OS taking the top spot. It is most likely the best game I have played in 10 years.

I think maybe most of the people are on the same boat as me - don't really know what's available in indie market. That could explain the high votes for well known AAA or KickStarter games :)

@purpleblob

Couch and I do everything to promote indie games here, just try some of the recommended games.

I played only Indie games this year (if you count D:OS as Indie) and loved them. I've lost interest in most AAA games right now!!

@purpleblob

Couch and I do everything to promote indie games here, just try some of the recommended games.

I would agree, this site does promote a lot of them here. I just don't have the same amount of time to play a lot of the games I would like to as I did say 30 years ago or even 20 years ago.

I do find it refreshing to read about a lot of them and glad to see how many are still being made. Give me another 10 years once I have paid for my children's education and have some more free time on my hands.

I played only Indie games this year (if you count D:OS as Indie) and loved them. I've lost interest in most AAA games right now!!

Smaller indie devs that produce not so high budget games, can risk much more and so they can introduce new gameplay elements and ideas much easier. Just look at

Neo Scavenger
Rollers of the Realm
Hand of Fate

to name only 3 of the many great indie games of 2014.

Ok, seem to be the only one who voted for Halfway. ^^
Guess hardly anyone played this gem at all :(

Ok, seem to be the only one who voted for Halfway. ^^
Guess hardly anyone played this gem at all :(

I'm still playing it - good one as well. There's also Transistor, Heroine's Quest and more … and more … I need more time to play games :)

I finally played about half of South Park: Stick of Truth based on some of the reviews/comments from members of this forum. I picked it up cheap during the holiday Steam sale. As a fan of the show, I was familiar with the characters, story, inside jokes, references, etc.

While there were several moments that made me chuckle, the game is literally one fetch quest after another. There were some clever gameplay elements to it and some things were done quite well, but in the end I quickly tired of the "go across town to pick up item x, and y, then come back" missions over and over. The combat also quickly became redundant, though I could see potential with the system, if expanded and refined for other, serious RPG titles.

As other reviews have mentioned, I did 'feel' as though I was part of a South Park episode, but when that novelty wore off I realized the game wasn't enjoyable enough to keep me interested. Unfortunately, that's also been my opinion of the television installments over the last half-decade or so. I 've since quit and uninstalled.

I don't know where I'd put the game on the top-10 RPG list for the year, if at all, but it apparently had enough of a following to finish #10 with voters here. I'd recommend it to fans of the show, only— specifically those who still find it as funny as it used to be.
if you didn't get to the sex scene, you missed on the funniest thing I've seen in the last 10 years or so.

Anyone with a good 152 char description?

Having just completed the game for the first time recently, I'll give it a shot. :)

Dark souls 2 features challenging third person combat, engaging world exploration, deep character building with a refined co-op experience. Praise the sun! (oops, that's 156 - can probably ignore the last three words!)

There's still quite a few games from 2014 I've yet to play from the top 10 list (Wasteland 2, Shadowrun, DA:I - will probably need to upgrade to play it, but I'm not really in a hurry for it, backlog is too huge! )

Back
Top Bottom