Expeditions: Rome - Announced

I think it's been done often enough. Perhaps not as much as ancient Greece, but it still feels overly familiar to me for some reason.

I don't see these guys adding fantasy elements anytime soon. They seem to like the historial aspect which is cool for people who want that I guess.

I don't remember Vikings that much anymore, but Conquistador had some very light touches of fantasy with the Aztecs I think. Also they were about to make a Divinity game for Larian, so they are clearly not opposed to fantasy. ^^

I don't remember Vikings that much anymore, but Conquistador had some very light touches of fantasy with the Aztecs I think. Also they were about to make a Divinity game for Larian, so they are clearly not opposed to fantasy. ^^

I remember finding some kind of cult temple with worshippers, but I don't recall if there was actual magic or anything similar. I didn't play very far into the game though.

These guys almost made a Divinity game? That's interesting. Do you know anything about what style of game it was going to be?

I remember finding some kind of cult temple with worshippers, but I don't recall if there was actual magic or anything similar. I didn't play very far into the game though.

These guys almost made a Divinity game? That's interesting. Do you know anything about what style of game it was going to be?

Yeah, a tactics focused RPG like the other games from them.

It has been cancelled though.

I think it's been done often enough. Perhaps not as much as ancient Greece, but it still feels overly familiar to me for some reason.
Really? I don't remember a single RPG in a Rome setting. Age of Decadence was inspired by it of course. Apart from that I remember strategy games like Total War: Rome or Praetorians.
Have there been Assassin's Creed games in thee Roman Empire? I only played I and II and then got back to the series with Odyssey.

I don't see these guys adding fantasy elements anytime soon. They seem to like the historial aspect which is cool for people who want that I guess.
Yeah, was more meant as a joke. I quite like historical settings. And for the Expeditions franchise imho historical settings make a lot of sense. But my favorite is still fantasy.

Really? I don't remember a single RPG in a Rome setting. Age of Decadence was inspired by it of course. Apart from that I remember strategy games like Total War: Rome or Praetorians.
Have there been Assassin's Creed games in thee Roman Empire? I only played I and II and then got back to the series with Odyssey.

Yeah, was more meant as a joke. I quite like historical settings. And for the Expeditions franchise imho historical settings make a lot of sense. But my favorite is still fantasy.

How can you forget Nethergate from Spiderweb! :D
(I never played it though)

Yeah, a tactics focused RPG like the other games from them.

It has been cancelled though.

Ah ok... that one. Yes, I remember it being covered here. Iirc, it was going to be like D:OS but without much of a story. Just series of battles for the most part. Like Fallout Tactics.

I'm talking about games in general. I don't really consider the Expedition series RPGs. They're more of a hybrid imo.

Ah ok… that one. Yes, I remember it being covered here. Iirc, it was going to be like D:OS but without much of a story. Just series of battles for the most part. Like Fallout Tactics.

Don't think so...I mean obviously it wasn't as story focused as the parts by Divinity, but I doubt they would be "less RPG" than Conquistador and Vikings to which you could say the same I guess.

Don't think so…I mean obviously it wasn't as story focused as the parts by Divinity, but I doubt they would be "less RPG" than Conquistador and Vikings to which you could say the same I guess.

I'm talking about the primary focus of the game. I'm not sure if there was even going to be any exploration in the same way as Larian's games. I remember some sites referring to it as a tactics game.

I think there was going to be some C&C in the form of which missions to choose, but the missions themselves were basically just battles.

Awesome I can't wait. Hmm I playtested for both Expeditions Conquistador and Viking. Wonder if they need help again?

Daniel.

Daniel, I bet they'd be happy to have you help test, considering you've done duty for them on two other occasions. Drop them a line!

There was "supernatural" stuff in Vikings that can be presumed to have plausible real-world explanations. So the temple which appeared to have spectral enemies was caused by exposure to psychedelic mushrooms. And the "magic" and hexes that witches use in combat can be explained by things such as using poisons to weaken enemies.

Yeah that silly drug-addled portion literally pulled me right out of some of the fun of vikings. There are ways to do low magic, and ways to not do it, and for me that was one of the latter. Of course I'm all about the melee anyways, so take my musings on the subject with a large grain of salt.

Back
Top Bottom