What games are you playing now?

I'm guessing there was a dragon above, but I got no frikkin hint as to its presence. When I came back the second time, it was on the other side of the bridge. So, that was just a random death the developers wanted to include? Or did I just miss the "there's a dragon above" hint.
IIRC, the bridge looks pretty scorched and it´s possible to outrun the flame if one is fast enough.
Mostly the guys with spears.
For what it´s worth, kicking these dudes makes them trivial.
The armored boar is easy if you have any kind of ranged attack.
It´s even easier (well, faster, at least) if you use the alluring skulls found on the ledge (dropping them into one of the fires lures the beast in).

The armored boar is easy if you have any kind of ranged attack. Approach until he starts to charge you, then turn around and run to get up on the ledge near the gate. If you do it right, he won't be able to hit you, and you can hit him with magic, etc., until he's dead or low enough on health to finish off easily.

Yeah, he's a boar not a bull. :D
I've managed to beat the boar by getting him on a nearby flame and letting him burn himself alive. But, surprise, I died again, and had to do that whole level once more (except for the boar). That's annoying as hell. Anyway, I took a break from it.

Now I'm trying Ghost Recon Online, which is suprisingly good for an free to play shooter. Love the cover mechanics. And the gunplay seems solid.

It's actually not a bad game at all really. I just don't think it's as good as the first two mainly for the reasons I listed. It's actually superior to DS 1&2 in some aspects, just not enough to overcome the flaws.

I'm having a lot of fun though, and I'd say it's definitely worth buying once it drops in price or goes on sale.

I played both DS on highest difficulty because than you are sorry for every shot that missed target and every unnecessary used med pack which makes atmosphere tense,so flaws you listed kill things for which I liked DS.

I've heard Okami being mentioned quite a bit when it comes to PS3 games people say are must-plays. But for some reason the amazon version is way overpriced. like 45 GBP or something

#1 - Okami is a very unique game, and yes, like Journey and Shadow of the Colossus - it is a must play for the PS3 if you like games outside the norm shooter/adventure/strat. I've been wanting to play the game for years, and it was worth the wait.

#2 - If you want to buy a physical copy, youre looking at expensive, and sketchy regional specs that make me not want to mess with it. Thankfully, the game is available on the playstation network for download, $20. It's around 6.5 gigs so it'll take a while, but it's worth it, really good game.

I still cannot get past this one part for the life of me tho, very frustrating......

#1 - Okami is a very unique game, and yes, like Journey and Shadow of the Colossus - it is a must play for the PS3 if you like games outside the norm shooter/adventure/strat. I've been wanting to play the game for years, and it was worth the wait.

#2 - If you want to buy a physical copy, youre looking at expensive, and sketchy regional specs that make me not want to mess with it. Thankfully, the game is available on the playstation network for download, $20. It's around 6.5 gigs so it'll take a while, but it's worth it, really good game.

Cool, thanks. I'll keep that in mind when I'll be thinking of getting it.

Right now I'm still having loads of fun with Ghost Recon Online. It's a really solid and fun 3rd/1st person tactical shooter, with solid cover mechanics. I'd say it's on par with Battlefield 3, except it's a lot more focused on infantry tactics, but without going into the arcady-route that Modern Warfare has taken. I highly recommend it. And it's free-to-play. An amazing deal.

Ghost Recon online whatttt?/?

I'll have to chech that out, thanks

Did my 6th playthru of Journey today, very peaceful. Going to see what Warcraft III and DKII look like on my 60" LCD tv in a minute.

Oh yeah, and just got done downloading and installing Impire from Steam, looks like a DK-esque game, but probably a huge disappoint like Dungeons was.

Seems I couldn't stay away from Dark Souls for too long, and went back into it. It's kind of like having something on the back of your mind, mocking you that you couldn't finish that particular fight. And I reached the Undead Parish and just can't finish off the Channeler priest who buffs his army of zombies and then sends them all against me. And they just butcher me. They gang-up on me, and they stun-lock me to death. The moment I let my block down to hit anything, I'm dead. And I checked some walkthroughs online, but most are playing as ranged characters and they take out the priest from afar. Dammit.

I'm still playing The Book Of Unwritten Tales besides SWTOR - and I'm kind of stuck.
I like, however, this game very, very much and I highly recommend it for everyone here ! :)

After your post here I looked at some of the screens for the game and it looks great artistically anyway. I haven't played an adventure game in years, this might be a nice change, going to have a look around for it this morning.

Seems I couldn't stay away from Dark Souls for too long, and went back into it. It's kind of like having something on the back of your mind, mocking you that you couldn't finish that particular fight. And I reached the Undead Parish and just can't finish off the Channeler priest who buffs his army of zombies and then sends them all against me. And they just butcher me. They gang-up on me, and they stun-lock me to death. The moment I let my block down to hit anything, I'm dead. And I checked some walkthroughs online, but most are playing as ranged characters and they take out the priest from afar. Dammit.

That sounds like such a miserable game to play, I dont know why anyone would willingly subject themselves to such punishment! I hope you find peace, friend ='.'=

Meanwhile, I'm playing Ico, which has it's share of frustrations. Namely, bizarre camera angles which make walking a fine line a challenge. Some things also need to be FaQ'd, as there is really no way you'd know otherwise since there is no tutorial or instruction whatsoever in the game.

Also, Impire fuckin rocks. Think of Dungeon Keeper gone full RTS. Ive barely scratched the surface of the game, but today plan on a full delve if I can tear myself away from Ico long enough.

That sounds like such a miserable game to play, I dont know why anyone would willingly subject themselves to such punishment! I hope you find peace, friend ='.'=

It might sounds like it's awful, and sometimes it is. It merciless when it comes to allowing you to make mistakes. But I think that makes the victory all that more rewarding. But sometimes I think it just goes overboard. And most of the times it's usually some trick you have to pay attention to. But the nature of the game is that it won't let you play around with things in the level unless you want to redo section over and over.

But what it has got it going for it, is very cool atmosphere. It's very similar to Severance Blade of Darkness. Another thing which it does nicely is level design. The levels are just plain cool medieval castles. And there's plenty of hidden things off the beaten path. I'm amazed at some of the things I've missed that I see people do in playthroughs.

But I can't seem to take it in very long bursts, or I'll lose my temper. When I get into a section that I keep having to redo because I die in different places, I can only take 5-6 retries before I have to shut the game down and do something different. What's really interesting is that I think the enemies sometimes behave differently that what you expect. I keep getting into situations where I fight the same type of enemy, I manage to get the killing of them to a routine, and once in a while one of those will suprise me by being way more aggresive than his previous fellows. And that takes me by surprise, I fumble and lose half my health on easy guys when I'll need it for later on tougher guys.

Also, Impire fuckin rocks. Think of Dungeon Keeper gone full RTS. Ive barely scratched the surface of the game, but today plan on a full delve if I can tear myself away from Ico long enough.

I've been playing that in between sessions of System Shock 2. It's definitely not a DK-style game, but it's ok once you accept that and get past the really clunky interface. With a bit of luck they'll tone down some of the micro-management in a patch and let you focus on the fun part of the game.

One word of warning, if you come across any treasure chests, wait to open them until you have a few full squads of high level minions you're not afraid to lose. Trust me.

Meanwhile, I'm playing Ico, which has it's share of frustrations. Namely, bizarre camera angles which make walking a fine line a challenge. Some things also need to be FaQ'd, as there is really no way you'd know otherwise since there is no tutorial or instruction whatsoever in the game.

I'm keen to hear more about Impire - and especially how it compares to DK. So keep those impressions coming.

I loved ICO on the PS2. Masterful accomplishment.

There's a very long "arcade" sequence at the end that I remember completing in the first go. I think I secretly dreaded having to redo it - so I had to reach Zen :)

Well, or maybe it was just much easier than it would appear.

——

Anyway - I just completed Dead Space 2.

Took me precisely 8 hours. Since it was my first playthrough - that means it's a couple of hours shorter than Dead Space.

Considering the quality of the content - it's a meaty enough game, but I think it would have been better with just a few hours more.

Hmm, well. How to rate it.

It's a tough one.

I actually think the first half was better than the second half. I was disappointed by the story and especially the conclusion. I was expecting something significant regarding a certain object - but didn't really get anything there. My character was supposed to have a special connection with it, and almost nothing was explained in that way. Pretty weird, actually.

That said, the levels were very well done - and though most changes from the first game are rather subtle, they combine to form a much smoother and better balanced experience. You had just enough power nodes to upgrade 2 weapons towards the end - where the first game was too generous in that way.

But I ended up dumping my second weapon (Seeker Rifle) and just focusing on the Pulse Rifle. Like the first game, it's really the only weapon you need - and there isn't a single situation in the entire game where the other weapons seem even remotely necessary. That's pretty disappointing, really. I also think the way ammo works is a problem - because you find ammo for the weapons you use almost exclusively - meaning you're spreading yourself thin by having more weapons. It's smarter to just focus on a single fully upgraded weapon.

I think unified ammo in the third game is a better solution. I didn't like it in Deus Ex 2 - but it would make a lot of sense in Dead Space.

As for Alien vs Aliens - that comparison holds. Dead Space 2 is flashier and has a lot more action in it. But, in the end, I don't think the difference is that big. There are plenty of quiet moments, which I really appreciate. Lots of clever puzzles - and the zero-g mechanic is MUCH better in DS2.

So, in terms of sheer gameplay - DS2 is the clear winner.

In terms of pacing, tension and especially story - DS1 is the clear winner.

So - overall - I think they're very close.

But I have to say the first Dead Space is the best one.

Dead Space - 8/10
Dead Space 2 - 7.5/10

We'll see when I get to the last game... I have a feeling it's not going to be on par with the others, but who knows.

I'm keen to hear more about Impire - and especially how it compares to DK. So keep those impressions coming.

Well, it's definitely not DK. I'm not very far in, so it could change a bit as things progress. Building your dungeon is only a side thing, and your minions don't really interact with the rooms at all. It's not meant to be a simulation game; it's pretty much just a RTS dungeon crawl with some odd base management options.

There are some good ideas, like performing raids on the surface for different types of supplies or for side-quests, but so far that feels really under-utilised. Hopefully they'll add in the ability to get new minion types, special items, or something more worthwhile that way.

Some of the options for dealing with heroes seem a bit pointless, too. You can tag them different ways to get different sorts of resources from them, and you don't get any sort of feedback once you tag someone to tell you that you've done so, but it looks like you can always get that sort of resource more easily through surface raiding. Some rooms are only useful for extracting these resources from heroes, so you've got to waste resources and building space to get an option that's not very useful.

Since I mentioned feedback, I may as well talk about that a bit more. The game's not very good at telling you that it's responding to you. More than once I've ordered a squad to move, go eat (yes, you have to manaully tell them to go eat), or tried to cast a spell and not had any sort of reaction out of them.

It feels like they didn't quite know what sort of game they were making until they were almost done, and then never went back and changed the gameplay to fit that. It is fun, once you get used to it, but I think a lot of people will be chased off by the non-Dungeon Keeperness of it. The developers seem willing to listen to criticism, so hopefully they'll patch away some of the oddities in the next few months.

Well, it's definitely not DK. I'm not very far in, so it could change a bit as things progress. Building your dungeon is only a side thing, and your minions don't really interact with the rooms at all. It's not meant to be a simulation game; it's pretty much just a RTS dungeon crawl with some odd base management options.

There are some good ideas, like performing raids on the surface for different types of supplies or for side-quests, but so far that feels really under-utilised. Hopefully they'll add in the ability to get new minion types, special items, or something more worthwhile that way.

Some of the options for dealing with heroes seem a bit pointless, too. You can tag them different ways to get different sorts of resources from them, and you don't get any sort of feedback once you tag someone to tell you that you've done so, but it looks like you can always get that sort of resource more easily through surface raiding. Some rooms are only useful for extracting these resources from heroes, so you've got to waste resources and building space to get an option that's not very useful.

Since I mentioned feedback, I may as well talk about that a bit more. The game's not very good at telling you that it's responding to you. More than once I've ordered a squad to move, go eat (yes, you have to manaully tell them to go eat), or tried to cast a spell and not had any sort of reaction out of them.

It feels like they didn't quite know what sort of game they were making until they were almost done, and then never went back and changed the gameplay to fit that. It is fun, once you get used to it, but I think a lot of people will be chased off by the non-Dungeon Keeperness of it. The developers seem willing to listen to criticism, so hopefully they'll patch away some of the oddities in the next few months.

Hmm, doesn't sound very promising.

I do think Dungeon Keeper would benefit from being more RTS (never much cared for the combat system, for instance) - but certainly not by sacrificing the fantastic dungeon building aspect.

Thank you for the detailed impressions.

I'll hold off for now.

Ah thanks, I've been looking for impressions of Impire.

I'm trying to play through Baldur's Gate 2. I played Shadows of Amn back when it came out but never got the Throne of Baal expansion.

Honestly, it's been rough going. I'm not so sure I should have put that resolution patch in there to play at 1080p - the text and characters are so small I'm leaning forward to see. I'm having to learn what spells are good and what spells are pointless all over again, too. The old D&D magic system seems so silly now with the way you have to camp out right in the middle of a dungeon to get your spells (and thus hit points) back. And that quest journal... eeesh!

It's been long enough that I've pretty much forgotten all the stories and those have been pretty good but I'm not so sure they will be good enough to keep me going the whole way through.

I'm also playing some Endless Space again. They've done a lot to improve the game but now there are some bugs in the save/load system making a major pain of themselves.

Honestly, it's been rough going. I'm not so sure I should have put that resolution patch in there to play at 1080p - the text and characters are so small I'm leaning forward to see.
I'd use a widescreen resolution that's closest to the original maximum that is supported by your monitor — for me that was 1280x800. Higher than original resolutions for 2D games IMO only make sense with proper upscaling algorithms like you have in emulators.

Replaying 'System Shock 2' on the PC ... just a great updated version from GoG.com

On the Mac, 'Knights of the Old Republic' via Steam. Haven't replayed in a couple of years (actually 2010 I think) so it was time. Taking my normal 'mage' route (Scoundrel/Consular)

Made an attempt at playing Fable 3, but dear lord was it bad. I liked the setting, art style & voice acting, but there were so many other flaws with the game that I just could not keep on playing it (bad controls, incredibly shallow combat, shallow NPC interaction, Games for Windows Live, the game telling me exactly where to go all the time (there was an option to turn it off in the incredibly clumsy options menu, but that option did not work), interface that seemed to have been designed by someone who has never had to put a single thought into interface design before and so on and so forth).
Among its more forgivable offenses were also low res textures, texture popin, textures not loading correctly from time to time & bland level design.

Bought & installed both

- Haunted
- Angry Birds Star Wars

because their prices were reduced.

"Haunted" has a long story. It was developed by the Ankh Trilogy makers, and it was to be published by HMH Interactive. I saw them and this game in their booth at the Games Com in … 2009 ? (No demo, back then.)

HMH went into insolvency, JoWood bought the publishing rights of Haunted.

I played the demo of Haunted at the booth of JoWood in … 2010 ? Hm, yes, I think it was 2010 or 2011.

However, JoWood went bancrupt, and dtp bought the publishing rights of Haunted.
I saw the game at the booth of dtp in … 2011, I think it was.

dtp went into insolvency, but still exists today. And they indeed finally published this game, at last.

I don't think that HMH Interactive survived, but I don't have any information about their fate, either.

But, well, after all these years, I'm finally ready to play this game ! :)

Back
Top Bottom