Hockey Playoffs 2009!

dteowner

Shoegazer
Huzzah! It's that time of year, folks. So let's get our prediction pool ready to go. Here's the matchups for this year:
Bruins vs Les Habitants
Caps vs Rangers
Devils vs Canes
Flyers vs Sidney "Christ with a Koho" Crosby and some other guys
Sharks vs Quacks
RED WINGS vs Jackets
Nucks vs Blues
Hawks vs Flames

So, for the first round, pick the winner and the number of games. 2 points for the winner, 1 point for the games, and 1 bonus point for getting both.

I'll get us started.
Boston in 4
Caps in 6
Devils in 7
Pens in 6
Sharks in 6
Wings in 5
Nucks in 6
Flamers in 7

Last edited:
That list looks small, I thought only 2 or 3 teams *didn't* make the playoffs ...

I don't follow too much, but am hoping for a Bruins / Sharks finals.

Bruins in 5
Rangers in 7
Devils in 6
Flyers in 7
Sharks in 5
Wings in 5
Nucks in 6
Hawks in 6

In case someone cares, I've got the Flyers/Pens listing backwards. For every other matchup, the higher seed is first. The Pens are the 4 seed and will have home ice. I guess I was just overcome with awe for the savior of ice hockey, Saint Sid, and got confoozed.

Sidney "Christ with a Koho" Crosby and some other guys

We had the chance to have Crosby for two years in my home town of Rimouski before he was drafted by the Pens. Certainly a great player, he made the team won the memorial cup in 2005. But don't forget Malkin! With 113 points this season, more than Crosby, he deserves to be more than just "some other guys" :)

I know, I just despise Bettman's master plan to make Sid the "face of the NHL" whether we like it or not. It's not really Sid's fault that he's being saddled with all that baggage, but it's more fun to blame his whiny butt anyway. Besides, the sum-total of his playoff beard last season was a pube-stache and that's just pathetic.

That's OK. I figure Boston will trounce them in the second round so we'll be done with the Sid overload and Bettman will be crying in his beer. Everybody wins.

Tough since I haven't seen many games this year.

Boston should win, but my policy is always to pick the Canadian team, so I'll take the Habs in 6.
Let's try the Rangers in 5
Devils have MB, so I'll give them 6
Pens should handle the Flyers in 5
Sharks eat Ducks in 4
I never take the Wings, just to annoy Dte, but I don't see them losing in the first round, so unfortunately I have to take them in 4 this time around :(
Canucks in 6
I don't think the Flames can do it, but I'll go with them in 7

Ove is taking over the face whether Grapes wants it or not. Ove reminds me of Jags in the early 90's where you jsut could settle him down.

Its a good thing Detroit is still using Osgood or I might be worried. Hockeytown, formerly Motown, is ready to pull an Avalanche pretty soon.

For fans like Corwin living in Oz here's some tips to get some games up there:

http://canuckscentral.com/forums/ind...howtopic=13394

Bruins in 4 - Habs have no right to be in the playoffs. Gainey will be gone at the end of the playoffs to be replaced by lemair
Caps in 4
Devils in 4
Pens in 6
Sharks in 4
BJ's in 6 - you gotta believe
Nucks in 7 - the two hottest team in the second half may be the hardest fought battle
Hawks in 6

Ah, the yearly playoff pool; time to break my posting silence. What's the prize this year, dte? We've had a game worn Crosby jockstrap, a Peter Worrel pimp hat...what other goodies have you got in your closet for us?

Bruins in 6
Caps in 7
Canes in 6
Pens in 7

Sharks in 6
Wings in 6
Nucks in 7 (and then on to the finals!)
Hawks in 5

Don't know, Geist. I generally try to wait a couple rounds so I can keep the prize relevant. There's rumors of a video entitled "Rickrolled Again" with Rick Nash-tley doing karoke to "Never Gonna Give You Up", but I haven't been able to get my hands on a copy so far and that won't be relevant after the first round anyway. Can't even go with Chelly's empty Geritol bottle since it looks like he's going to be stuck in the pressbox this year.

bit of a shocker in Anaheim last night. I didn't see all of it but it appears Hillard stole the show. I love it when Drew Ramenda gets quiet.

The other surprise was the Rangers win.

IS it just me or has NHL.com become unreadable?

bit of a shocker in Anaheim last night. I didn't see all of it but it appears Hillard stole the show. I love it when Drew Ramenda gets quiet.

What shocked me was how many people thought San Jose was just going to roll over Anaheim, I knew that wasn't going to happen. I am surprised the Ducks won both games in San Jose though....

Go Red Wings!

Yeah, but San Jose is traditionally a second round choker and the Quacks are a bunch of slow goons. I expected more from the Sharkies. I can see how it might go the way it has, though. The one I can't figure out at all is the Caps. Their weakness is defense, but the Rags have no offense to take advantage of that.

It's looking like a rough opening round for dte.

Each year, the folks at LetsGoWings.com have a photoshop war with folks from the opposing team each round. Some of them are pretty amateur, but others are extremely creative and skillfully done. I thought I'd share a few (and one of my faves is actually from a Jackets fan).

Attachments

• The_Jackets_Show.jpg
    The_Jackets_Show.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 31
  • mason2.jpg
    mason2.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 31
  • hitchcock1.jpg
    hitchcock1.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 30
  • ColumbusBlueJacketsvDetroitRedWings.jpg
    ColumbusBlueJacketsvDetroitRedWings.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 29
  • 25_14_04_09_1_15_28.jpg
    25_14_04_09_1_15_28.jpg
    115.4 KB · Views: 28
Well, Geist is happy today. Canuckleheads give the Blues the broom. First team to punch their ticket for round 2.

Did anyone else see Brad Stuart's hit on RJ Hamburger last night? Completely clean hit, and the guy was destroyed. Mike Commodore tried to answer, missed, and ended up upsidedown in the Wings bench. During his effort to find his dignity during the remainder of that shift, he got completely out of position and the Wings scored. Good times.

If the Wings take care of business tonight, we'll have 3 sweeps in the first round. I can't remember the last time that happened.

SWWWWEEEEEEEEEEEEPP!

Next up, Canucks or Quacks.

Back
Top Bottom