The TV Series discussion thread

Weren't we discussing this one somewhere? Okay could be another forum…
Apple's masterplan is to massacre the original setting, story and characters (read: sjwize it!) because, what, Asimov was retarded per decision by Apple's wise committee?

Thanks, but no thanks. Won't be watching this insult.
I'm not the illiterate Apple's sheep and original books are fine with me.
We were, here a few months ago when I necroed an old trailer on the series.

Changes to an original story is something that tends to bother me too, especially when I don't see a good reason for it. But I doubt film directors follow the same logic, they just think differently (and here it's Apple, so they have to :p).

Joxer is likely right on this about Foundation, the number of times I've seen an adaptation worthy of the book/comic version is miniscule, at best. Yet for now I'm hoping this will be worthy!

And yes, changing the story is, nine times out of ten, an extremely bad move. Stay true to the story, resist the silly thoughts that your awesome changes would somehow improve things, and honor the source.

Last night I concluded my viewing of Man in the High Castle, and overall I was inpressed with what they made of this show. The creators of this show took a rather small novel and turned it into an epic, spanning much of the continental US. I think I preferred mostly the characters of series one through three, yet I was completely on board with where the show went in the final year. I think the show could have easily gone another series or two, yet it did wrap up in fairly good standings.

Last night I concluded my viewing of Man in the High Castle, and overall I was inpressed with what they made of this show. The creators of this show took a rather small novel and turned it into an epic, spanning much of the continental US. I think I preferred mostly the characters of series one through three, yet I was completely on board with where the show went in the final year. I think the show could have easily gone another series or two, yet it did wrap up in fairly good standings.
Yes, very good job they did there!

I experienced it the other way round. I found the show interesting enough to buy the book, and it was very surprising to reach the end so quickly.

I am finishing The Night Manager, which is about a night manager in a hotel in Cairo (Tom Hiddleston), who through a chain of events becomes an undercover agent for the British intelligence to bring down an arms dealer (Hugh Laurie).
That concept is a bit unbelievable, but I am enjoying the show. It is well acted overall. The only issue I have is that when I see Hugh Laurie I am always remembered of his role in Blackadder, which makes it a bit hard to believe when he plays the bad guy as he does in this case.

Together with the wife we are watching Lilyhamnmer, with Steven van Zandt, who plays a New York gangster who testifies against the mob and goes into hiding in Lilyhammer, Norway.
The show is a mixture of comedy and crime, which works out quite well. For the most part people speak Norwegian, with Steven van Zandt speaking English and apparently understanding what is said in Norwegian, which works in the show. We are enjoying ourselves in watching this, even though there are quite a few unrealistic things in it, like most of the Norwegains are depicted as not too intelligent, to make Steven van Zandt look more intelligent and that for some reason young women fall for him, which doesn't come across as very realistic.

I started to watch it on the advice of @pibbuR, because it would be good to learn Norwegian. I am not sure about that, I do catch some things, but in general they all speak to fast :)

I am finishing The Night Manager, which is about a night manager in a hotel in Cairo (Tom Hiddleston), who through a chain of events becomes an undercover agent for the British intelligence to bring down an arms dealer (Hugh Laurie).
That concept is a bit unbelievable, but I am enjoying the show. It is well acted overall. The only issue I have is that when I see Hugh Laurie I am always remembered of his role in Blackadder, which makes it a bit hard to believe when he plays the bad guy as he does in this case.
I've enjoyed The Night Manager too, but I agree the involvement of Jonathan Pine is a bit stretched, obviously a necessity for the purpose of the story. I haven't read the book to tell if that version was more believable.

I like le Carré and he puts a lot of effort to be accurate, but sometimes I'm not entirely convinced the main character should be in his role in the first place (for example Smiley in A Murder of Quality). But it's not too bothering and the story more than makes up for it, generally.

Aye, the Night Manager was a fine mini-series. I watched it when it first initially aired, and yes, often the story seriously strains credibility, yet for all that I still enjoyed the entire series. One I may re-watch at some point.

Took a small break from my regularly scheduled program, and I watched episode 1 of a series that was cancelled after 2 seasons. But it always intrigued me. Wayward Pines. Pretty cool so far. I also like Matt Dillon as an actor.

What would you compare it to? I got an X-files meets Twin Peaks vibe when I looked it up.

What would you compare it to? I got an X-files meets Twin Peaks vibe when I looked it up.

Yeah, that sounds very appropriate a comparison. Though the end of the first episode takes a definite stance as to the "how" of the mystery (effectively killing part of the mystery). Now there's only the why, I guess. But it's still intriguing enough.

Wayward Pines season 1 is brilliant.
Season 2 is sadly only good, they shifted the most of main characters from the first season into side ones and new mains failed to steal the show.
IMO, ofc.

Forget x-files and twin peaks, we're not hollywood executives that simplify stuff in the wrong direction because they follow(ed) only mainstream.
WP is a sort of Orwell's 1984 in the future.

The Wayward Pine novels were decent, yet the television series fell far short, it's like the people that did the show perhaps read a cliff notes' version of the books. I'm not sure the series compares to anything else ever done, in that it's fairly unique. Dillon wasn't the best choice for the lead role as well, far from it. Some of the other casting was spot on, though I'll say again, the novels are at least decent. The television show was an audible thud.

Yeah, that sounds very appropriate a comparison. Though the end of the first episode takes a definite stance as to the "how" of the mystery (effectively killing part of the mystery). Now there's only the why, I guess. But it's still intriguing enough.

You got me curious enough to check it out. I watched the first 2 episodes this morning. It seems ok so far despite the implausibility.

I've always liked Matt Dillon, but I think he's better in a comedic role. Also, does the guy ever age? He somehow still looks almost exactly the same as he did in There's Something About Mary. Unfortunately, I can't say the same about Juliette Lewis.

I felt like that show had the ingredients to be good, but had a lot of problems. I thought that chief among them was that they rushed through way too much story in one season - could have spread it over two or three, with better pacing. Then the second series went off the rails completely, IMO.

Nod Ripper, you didn't get confirmation as to where the show was actually taking place in the novels until far later in the tale. I mean, you could deduce it from the clues amply given, yet it wasn't spelled out as early as the show did. You have to take your time with the subject matter, weave your tale well and good things will come. I think they even had Crouch, the author on board for the telly series, yet he must not have exerted much authority. It bears repeating: if the telly series disappoints, try the books.

As for me, I've finally started the fourth series of Boush. So far it's off to a good start! I was fumbling for a companion show to view between episodes, and landed on re-watching Unforgotten. It's not been long since I first saw it, only six years, yet I recall how fondly I enjoyed the story and characters.

I'm on the 7th episode of Wayward Pines, and it's starting to lose me. The big reveal, if legit, was really lame. I'll probably finish the season, but unless something spectacular happens in the last few eipsodes, I think that might be it for me.

I have finished the 4th and last season of Mr Robot.

This season reveals a lot, and the last episodes are weird and a bit disturbing but make sense at the end. Mostly.

It's not for everyone but I enjoyed it!

Back
Top Bottom