Encased - Patch 1

Redglyph

proud GASP member
As promised, Dark Crystal Games have uploaded their first regular patch for Encased. This update to version 1.1.1013.1238 weighs 9.3 GB (on GOG anyway).

ENCASED -- PATCH 1

As you probably already noticed, the work on Patch 1 took a little delay, but there are objective reasons for this - there really are a lot of changes and improvements. In addition to fixing the voiceover, incorrect descriptions, bugs and typos, we focused on improving the user experience: a lot of changes were made to the game interface, balance, mechanics and, of course, optimizations - now the game runs faster and a little more stable. This is partly attributable to you, Dear Players, as many errors in the game have been fixed thanks to your bug reports.

We also listen closely to the suggestions you offer across our social networks. Thank you for your words of support and well-reasoned criticism. And above all, thank you for staying with us - it matters a lot to us.

[...]
More information.

Here are the details.

Localization and Voiceover
  • Fixed the sound for reading books
  • Fixed voiceover for Sister Beatrice Catcher
  • Fixed voiceover for Petra Willard
  • Fixed cries of Afflicted employees at the First Settlers' Camp
  • Improved MOBIOS sounds
  • Added sounds to control panels and vending machines in Carmine Heights
  • Fixed hyena footsteps sounds
  • Fixed necroid footsteps sounds
  • Fixed interruption of dialogue voiceover shortly before the end of playback

Text and Dialogues
  • Added low intelligence dialogue with Potanin at Carmine Heights location
  • Fixed dialogues with Tim Ginzburg and Jeffrey Gallop
  • Fixed dialogue with public terminal on Magellan
  • Fixed a typo in Crump’s dialogue
  • Fixed a typo in Jacques Falco’s dialogue
  • Fixed incorrect working of several main story dialogues for low intelligence playthrough
  • Fixed displaying of the tooltip for the "Fortune" characteristic in a random event related to the delivery of lost letters
  • Fixed description of the Brass Apple relic
  • Fixed dialogue behaviour when talking to Yoko about teleglasses
  • Fixed companions’ lines on the Deserted Road location
  • Fixed skill/stat check metrics in Milo Randall's dialogue
  • Added the ability to receive a bribe from Courtney Reznor after exiting the dialogue
  • Fixed inability to start dialogue with Yoko after going through her story dialogue
  • Fixed description of the Expropriator perk
  • Fixed initiating dialogue with Lenny after the Crossroads' Troubles quest

Graphics
  • Created and added a unique head for Olivia Raysner
  • Created and added a unique head for Audrey Melville
  • Created and added a unique head for the Fop named Pepper
  • Created and added a unique head for the Fop named Sad Bug
  • Improved displaying of water and dust shaders at night
  • Fixed a Black Wing helmet model
  • Fixed changing color for a number of hairstyles on the character creation screen
  • Fixed male hairstyle models
  • Fixed White Wing pants model
  • Added red/ginger hair color and fixed hair color for some character archetypes
  • Improved ending images for the Carmine Heights faction
  • Fixed flickering of some assets at locations when using TAA (Temporal anti-aliasing)
  • Added new cockroach model to match icons: Knight Roach
  • Added new rat models to match icons: White Rat and Ravenous Rat

UI
  • Improved design of fillable indicators (radiation, thirst, fatigue, encumbrance, hunger)
  • Fixed the crime icon stuck on companions
  • Fixed status effects branch in abilities tooltip
  • Replaced the armor sprite on the player character
  • Publisher's logo has been replaced with the up-to-date version
  • Made changes to the ability points distribution screen (colors, font styles, the displaying of ability points has been removed if there are 0 left)
  • Spread out the "glued together" filter buttons on the inventory screen
  • Replaced sprite of an empty inventory cell
  • Removed green outline from the minimap
  • Fixed alpha channel for location grid
  • From now on, if the requirements for obtaining a perk are not met, it is displayed semi-transparent
  • Expanded the mouseover/click zone to the entire line on the abilities screen
  • Added a Deactivate Stealth button and Reload Standard Weapon button
  • Matched the color indicating unfulfilled requirements on both the perk screen and in tooltips
  • Fixed mouseover for all items in the inventory
  • Improved title screen
  • On the character creation screen, the Attributes are indicated for each trait after the Attributes heading
  • Changed the displaying of font color on the loading screen
  • Added line break after a dash when entering a location
  • The left part of the PDA screen now has the same width everywhere
  • Fixed displaying of new save
  • Added an icon for the Second Wind ability
  • Fixed Tool Required message when attempting to scan
  • Added indication of the number of items that can be crafted in the crafting menu
  • Improved button colors in the crafting interface
  • Improved highlighting interface when hovering over objects that have already been searched
  • Fixed button for adding skill points after reaching the maximum skill value
  • Fixed displaying of radiation indicators in UI when switching between languages
  • Fixed displaying of the MOBIOS manipulator in the inventory

Balance
  • Unique MOBIOSes now have increased damage resistance
  • Updated rewards for digging up graves in the Picnic neutral zone
  • Improved the reward for stripping the Light Alloy Chest Armor
  • Fixed settings for crafting a prosthesis for Aaron Melville
  • Reworked traders’ goods at trader camps, now it corresponds to their specialization
  • Increased the number of combonds carried by traveling traders in the late game
  • Fixed progression of Kraut value depending on rank
  • Günther Haas in the Junktown Arena has been buffed, the ability to inflict fatigue damage upon him has been fixed
  • Rebalanced MOBIOSes and their aura effects
  • Rebalanced the reloading cost of Shiroyama at some ranks
  • Rebalanced and fixed the Ghost perk
  • Changed the rank of the received servoshell in the random event with the stuck soldier
  • Changed rewards for looting lockers

Levels
  • Fixed walking under the roof in the Abandoned Hospital location
  • Reworked the position of anomalies in the Magellan laboratory basement
  • Added camera borders and fixed lighting at the Chick'n'Corn Restaurant location
  • Fixed working of a heap of stones at the Chick'n'Corn Restaurant location
  • Fixed a flying bush and added detailing for the Crossroads location
  • Fixed steam jet position on Magellan's reactor floor
  • Fixed problematic pots in the Roadside Picnic location in the prologue
  • Added a camera border in the trader camps
  • Fixed black zones on the map borders at several Magellan locations
  • Fixed the ladder at the New Committee Outpost location
  • Fixed camera borders, terrain at the location in the "Deceiver" event (Deserted Road)
  • Increased the radius of initiating dialogue with the Oranges in Concord bathroom
  • Changed Darryl Gilmore's position in Concord
  • Fixed roof clipping on the cafe at the Picnic Neutral zone location
  • Fixed issues with decor at the Carmine Heights location, optimized
  • Added camera boundaries at Carmine Heights location
  • Added camera boundaries for the location with the Fatigue anomaly
  • Fixed the passage to the container at the First Settlers Camp location

Game Mechanics
  • Added display cases with unique rewards for high reputation with the Picnic, Phalanx, Carmine Heights, and Fop factions
  • Improved the protocol for processing crimes by animals
  • Meatball made the owner of all things in the Abandoned Hospital location
  • Improved initiating dialogue with weapons drawn for sentient necroids (Meatball)
  • Fixed the working of the equalize button when buying in barter menu
  • Necroids can now use ladders
  • Improved the working of the Lucky Finds system
  • Increased the maximum value of items that can be stolen by pickpocketing
  • Fixed the working of the state mechanic (hunger, thirst, etc.) when skipping time for short periods
  • Fixed working of psi-implant on companions if they die or are knocked out
  • Fixed a change in reputation when completing side quests in low intelligence playthrough
  • Fixed issue with reputation for the New Committee main quests

Story (SPOILERS!)
  • Added a reputation change in the story dialogue while in the Council in Act 2
  • Added the ability to independently mark the weapons receipt at Concord station in the prologue
  • Fixed a game ending bug related to the Fops and Phalanx

Bugs and Errors
  • Fixed displaying of heads for characters in the main menu
  • Fixed incorrect tape playback in the tape recorder on the laboratory floor of Magellan
  • Fixed updating the list of available perks after receiving a perk
  • Fixed pushing companions through the wall at Magellan reception
  • Fixed eyes changing color when choosing skin color in the character creation screen
  • Fixed starting dialogue with a door on Nashville offices if the door is attacked
  • Fixed the freeze upon starting combat with the Puppeteer Roach in the Nashville sewers
  • Fixed infinite experience gain in the Bolts game
  • Fixed a bug where the box with selectrones did not disappear after burning it
  • Fixed the situation where dynamite remained in corpses’ inventory after the explosion occurred
  • Fixed the number of rounds in the magazine for some ranks of the Svetlana rifle
  • Fixed interacting through walls at the C12-Nashville Facility – Offices location
  • Fixed the working of riddles at the Treasure Hunters' Campside location
  • Fixed the working of the perk Against All Odds
  • Fixed investigating crimes committed by companions in locations without a dedicated prison
  • Hard-Boiled Electrician ability description now matches the effect
  • Fixed working and description of canned beans
  • Fixed behavior of Kurt Spengler when counting votes in elections if they take place at night
  • Fixed removing reputation from Katarzyna in case Crump died while not in player group
  • Fixed reputation going above the maximum value
  • Fixed the check of the Career Criminal ability in dialogs related to elections
  • Fixed the combat freeze at the Picnic Neutral zone location
  • Fixed Sherlock’s dialogue related to the First Settlers' Camp
  • Fixed being able to bribe Sparrow when in player group
  • Fixed working of A New Boss quest
  • Fixed Flamberg mine at the Secret Test Site location

Effects and Animations
  • Fixed bleeding effect on the injured Clara Morgan
  • Fixed animation for soldiers wearing servoshells in the main menu
  • Fixed skeleton animation for MOBIOSes, fixed effects displaying on them
  • Fixed incorrect animation of the Hoplite Armor’s cloak

Optimization
  • Optimized rendering of some desert plants
  • Increased the amount of allocated video memory and the quality of some textures
  • Fixed a drop in frame rate when selecting abilities after a long play time

Miscellaneous
  • Added scan record for Fatigue anomaly
  • Fixed the background of portraits at the Camp location
  • Changed portrait of Theresa Goddard
  • Fixed overlay working on EGS
  • Changed portrait of Sandra Malverde
  • Improved the Dirty Money quest
  • Added alternative ways of obtaining information in the Water Is Everything quest
  • Fixed inability to inform Ida Grace about the Oranges’ escape in the Playing Detective quest
  • Fixed fighting with Salvador Torres while having companions
  • Improved Olivia Raysner's AI

.. And many other minor fixes and changes!

I just finished it yesterday. About 55 hours total, and I think I completed almost all of it. I specifically built a max XP/skills build and reached lvl53.

It looks great, plays pretty well too. It has three things preventing it from being great.

1. Random loot. Making it a hobo sim. Checking 100+ flower pots hoping to strike the artifact is getting really old pretty fast. Even more boxes to loot to get some generic loot to disassemble for crafting or sell.

2. Unbalanced roleplaying system. Some skills are a must have, some are not so. Same for perks. Combat is therefore a quite boring affair. You either build a stealth build and lol-roll the game's toughest opponents or go any other build and struggle for 15 levels. This pretty much killed the game for me. I was planning to run it at least 2 times: with smart Long Range char and then a dumb melee. And then realized it will be a stealth play no matter what. Skill is called Criminal and it is used for both stealth and lockpicking.

3. When I first played the EA game 2 years ago it was just a large station with really good quests, fleshed out NPCs and interesting game mechanics. In release version this station constitutes about half of the game's content. They added plenty of locations but either did not have the budget or time to finish them. These locations are unique, look gorgeous and seem interesting, but are almost devoid of any meaningful content. may be for DLC?

I still have to play through Trudograd. But I wasn't impressed by Atom that much either, compared to Underrail.

Riddle me this , riddle me that why are the last two patches over 6+ GB's?

They technically call it path one but there was another launch patch as well.

I just finished it yesterday. About 55 hours total, and I think I completed almost all of it. I specifically built a max XP/skills build and reached lvl53.

I still have to play through Trudograd. But I wasn't impressed by Atom that much either, compared to Underrail.

Hmm! I'm glad you posted this because I have this sitting in my library. I was an EA backer, too. I liked what I played from what I remember, reminded me of the original Fallout games mixed with the old tabletop game Paranoia, kinda. At least in set and setting.

I'll probably wait for a while to play this one because I have some other games going on right now anyway. I really liked both Underrail and ATOM; though I'll agree Underrail is a... hmm. Well, it's a unique gem unlike anything else and I don't know that I could say ATOM was the same but I enjoyed ATOM. It's like comparing a fine cognac glazed steak to a piece of good pizza; both were good, one was undeniably a more complicated and interesting experience; but I'm glad both exist.

Maybe I'm hungry, I keep comparing games to food right now it seems.

I am waiting to play the second ATOM game as well but I don't think I've actually purchased it yet. It's languishing on my wishlist, to one day possibly be remembered and played during a sale. :D

55 hours sounds plenty meaty enough to me. I don't need every RPG I play to approach 100 hours or more.

I hope they work on balancing it a little better though.

Yes, 40-50 hours are plenty for me too, especially since you can replay it. A larger game was simply not in their budget so I think that was per design to limit the scope.

I completely agree with 1) and 2), though I wouldn't say that's preventing the game from being great. I think it would need a little more on the story / companion, and a more mature combat system too. Those are good and I'm perfectly happy, but if I had to say a game is great, I would need to love the combat system, and to be completely captivated by the story and by discovering my companions (but again, not the scope of this game). The loot wouldn't make it any less great IMO.

Balancing has always been an issue with custom rulesets, but unless you really screw up your character in Encased, there are always ways to get things done. Either with companions or boost, and if not, by another path. So that may be an inconvenience now and then, but it's not unforgiving.

I found myself a little disinterested in playing atm, maybe because I jumped back into Elex, but

They added plenty of locations but either did not have the budget or time to finish them. These locations are unique, look gorgeous and seem interesting, but are almost devoid of any meaningful content.

I feel that the office/science buildings are very repetitive. I've made it as far as Magellan station currently.

Back
Top Bottom