Project Haven - Finalist at NGDC Grand Finals

Redglyph

SasqWatch
Code 351 posted on Twitter that Project Haven has been selected as finalist for the Nordic Game Discovery Contest Season V. Details in an Indie DB article.

Project Haven shoots its way to huge recognition

Project Haven is a deep, squad-based tactical game set in "the last city of Earth, Haven". Players get to experience cutting-edge technology that meets old-school design in this story-driven game of urban squad tactics, playable solo or cooperatively across a massive 45+ mission campaign.

As the Nordic Game Discovery Contest Season V tour comes closer to the finish line, a new finalist for the NGDC Grand Finals at NG21 Autumn this November was chosen in Portugal.

The NGDC online qualifier during GameDev Camp in Lisbon featured three selected contestants: Art house murder mystery Who Killed Mr. White from Notagamestudio, 3D puzzle stealth side-scroller Tamed: The Unseen Show from PopCoin Studios and Project Haven from developer Code Three Fifty One. All three studios are from Portugal.

Although the first two put up a good fight, it was Code Three Fifty One with Project Haven that took the victory and earned a seat in the NGDC Season V Grand Finals this fall.

[...]
More information.

Why don't there exist tactical turn-based RPGs in the style of JA for classic Fantasy settings ?

Congratulations to the devs!! :thumbsup:
This game is on my radar, I wish'em alll the luck and success.

I tried the demo end of August and it was promising. There may be some similarities with Urban Strife, with a more varied camera perspective. I haven't played JA so I can't compare but it seems both have some vibe from this game, from what I understand.

Why don't there exist tactical turn-based RPGs in the style of JA for classic Fantasy settings ?

Most developers lean towards accessibility which means paring down features that don't add many benefits and could scare away casual fans. In other words simplification and trying to broaden a games appeal. I think its wrongheaded in some ways but simplification is often a good thing too when done right.

I tried the demo end of August and it was promising. There may be some similarities with Urban Strife, with a more varied camera perspective. I haven't played JA so I can't compare but it seems both have some vibe from this game, from what I understand.

I tried the demo as well, and it wasn't bad. It has better visuals than Urban Strife, but I find the latter a lot more intriguing with its additional gameplay layers. Project Haven seems to revolve entirely around the combat.

I tried the demo as well, and it wasn't bad. It has better visuals than Urban Strife, but I find the latter a lot more intriguing with its additional gameplay layers. Project Haven seems to revolve entirely around the combat.
It's my feeling too. Project Haven looks like a tactical game with combat/stealth missions, Urban Strife is more focused on exploration and has more dialogues / quest / story elements. From the little I saw anyway. The similarities I found are limited to the combat part, with an urban environment you can explore and take advantage of.

Most developers lean towards accessibility which means paring down features that don't add many benefits and could scare away casual fans. In other words simplification and trying to broaden a games appeal. I think its wrongheaded in some ways but simplification is often a good thing too when done right.

Well, 2 times I asked the developers of the Tropico series : Why not do a game like Tropico with a Fantasy setting ?

Well, 2 times I asked the developers of the Tropico series : Why not do a game like Tropico with a Fantasy setting ?

You know developers. They get known for doing a particular type of game and its a big risk for them to do something different. Their audience might up and leave them for good and then they are on the scrap heap. That's where I think devs need to broach these topics to their fans and ask them 'how would you feel about a fantasy game?' or whatever.

Back
Top Bottom