Things you don't need to know...

Surfing the web on a smartphone AND walking on a sidewalk with lamp posts is not recommended.

an incarnation of pibbur who is in general uncomfortable around witn .. eh ... people.

People should come to London for rush hour training. Learn to use the Force to move swiftly, evading multiple opponents, while reading an important message.

People should come to London for rush hour training. Learn to use the Force to move swiftly, evading multiple opponents, while reading an important message.
I failed at London and moved to Manchester. Trying to level up before I can do London.

Although I now prefer Manchester :)

The Lamp Lies Down On Broadway …

;)

We had some very unusual mammatus cloud formations over the UK yesterday, with a strange sunset light. It was quite surreal - like being in Flash Gordon!

clouds.jpg

clouds2.jpg

Make them ominously dark grey and it's just like some areas in LOTRO.

an incarnation of pibbur who has been in Mordor. And liked it.

Astronomy in perspective:
solar_system_cartogram.png

He (from the Alt text, not visible here, but check the pagelink: https://xkcd.com/2439/) includes the mars rovers among the living.

an incarnation of pibbur who thinks he should also have included the 30 or so tardigrades living (admittedly in a very deep sleep) on the moon.

Just realized the sun also rises in the east in the southern hemisphere, but reaches its highest point in the north! It never is seen in the south.

Baffling, not sure how the Aussies were able to deal with such craziness all these years.

Just realized the sun also rises in the east in the southern hemisphere, but reaches its highest point in the north! It never is seen in the south.

Baffling, not sure how the Aussies were able to deal with such craziness all these years.
It's funny, I was discussing that 2 days ago :) Yes, it would be so scary to experience that. I've been told cars were also on the wrong side of the road there, perhaps it's linked? ;)

(I know, in UK they're also driving on the left lane, but there is no Sun as reference, it's even weirder, it would mean they do that on their own initiative)

The English are weird like that, they also made the countries they colonized in the last drive on the left hand side. But it can be undone, as Sweden has shown. They came to their senses and changed from left hand driving to right hand driving in 1967.

Are there actually practical advantages to driving on one side or the other? I'd have thought that if you reverse both the traffic flow and the driving position, it's a toss up.

The English are weird like that, they also made the countries they colonized in the last drive on the left hand side. But it can be undone, as Sweden has shown. They came to their senses and changed from left hand driving to right hand driving in 1967.

But the English never colonised Sweden o_O

We all know that driving on the left side (+ the imperial system) is the real reason they left the EU. They just didn't want to change that.

Only if you have a sword and are mounting a horse ;)

Sweden, that change must have been something to see.

Ah, so Napoleon did it. We're having none of it. :p

(Something I only learned a couple of years ago when I went there - Napoleon was Corsican. Something the Corsicans are very keen to point out.)

Last edited:
Are there actually practical advantages to driving on one side or the other? I'd have thought that if you reverse both the traffic flow and the driving position, it's a toss up.

I think so. Consider the most difficult/dangerous turn a driver makes. With LHD it's a right turn and most people are right handed. With RHD it's obviously the left turn. Therefore, the most difficult turn is easier for most people if they drive on the left hand side. Now this explanation could be completely wrong, but I think it sounds good!! :)

The other option is to go back to the old horse riding days when you'd want to be on the left side so you could shoot your gun, or swing your sword with your right hand easily without risking hurting your horse. (Especially with a sword!!!!)

Also changed in Myanmar more recently. So left and right hand drive cars, trucks busses etc. all at once.

Also, Japan is LHS and NEVER colonised by England.

Back
Top Bottom