Dungeon Lords - Expansion and Sequel on the way ... REALLY!

1 million cant be true. Many other popular PC games sell less than that even if they use alternative distributions. Jowood is definetly lying here or then I really hate PC-players.

Perhaps they sold 1 million copies to be used as landfill...now that would suffice.

Last edited:
NOTHING would get me to buy any game with DL in the title!!

I kinda liked the demo.
It was pretty rough and unfinished, granted, and many people got stung by that on the full version. Now that the game is finally finished, maybe if people who loathed it so thoroughly at first (and with good reason, getting burned on a new release stings) can patch it up and try again.

I seriously do think in time Dungeon Lords will redeem itself and become a cult classic, it's just a popular target at the present time.

1. We can't do that because much of the missing content wasn't patched in -- it was sold as a Collector's Edition. I irrationally enjoy some mediocre titles but I'm not stupid enough to buy a second "completed" copy.

2. DL deserves all the wrath it got and will never be a widely accepted cult classic. I'm not saying some people don't enjoy it (see above) but the actual underlying game simply isn't good enough. In fact, it's clear to me that DWB had no idea what he was doing - the character system is a mess, the writing terrible, the plot cliched, the quests are dull and the action starts OK (that's why you liked the demo) but never really grows.

Lastly - and I admit I carry a grudge on this - but I spoke to DWB at some length on the phone on this game and he simply bullshitted about a whole bunch of things that simply aren't there. I appreciate some spin and PR but these were outright lies.

Remarkable. That's for sure, when even Dhruin gets that emotional about a game, it's serious. :D

From the 'I can't make this stuff up' department comes an announcement from JoWood regarding the future of the poorly received Dungeon Lords:
How can you not make that up?

I can't believe that DL sold 1M copies?! I wonder how many were bought at full price v. marking down.

Still in the end if they can fix up the remaining problems with DL it could be one of the best ARPGs ever, i.e. keep & fix the mechanics, probably use a new/different engine with a bigger budget(I think that they tried to make DL with too small of a budget, as there aren't many credits and the unfinished part is probably due to lack of extra content production & scripting people).

@txa1265: (an offtopic aside)
Those DS Lite's are almost the best thing since sliced bread. Gotta a bunch of memory adapters and some cards coming now and already I can see alot of the homebrew stuff is pretty decent...

@txa1265: (an offtopic aside)
Those DS Lite's are almost the best thing since sliced bread. Gotta a bunch of memory adapters and some cards coming now and already I can see alot of the homebrew stuff is pretty decent...

I don't have homebrew capability for either PSP or DS, but from what I see ... while the PSP gets all the buzz, the DS seems to have more cool stuff going on ...

Oh, and Panzer Tactics is wonderful hex-grid TBS stuff ...

Still in the end if they can fix up the remaining problems with DL it could be one of the best ARPGs ever, i.e. keep & fix the mechanics, probably use a new/different engine with a bigger budget(I think that they tried to make DL with too small of a budget, as there aren't many credits and the unfinished part is probably due to lack of extra content production & scripting people).

Other than throwing everything out and starting over -- or making some other, unrelated, 3rd-person action/RPG, what is it about DL that makes it potentially good? Is there anything outstanding about the lore, story or mechanics that makes DL better than any other action/RPG that JoWood could make with any other studio? I can't think of a single thing that isn't already better in almost any other game.

I also played it and liked it. I still play MP with friends back in the states every now and then. Until The Witcher or Gothic offer MP then this will have to do.

... what is it about DL that makes it potentially good? Is there anything outstanding about the lore, story or mechanics that makes DL better than any other action/RPG that JoWood could make with any other studio? I can't think of a single thing that isn't already better in almost any other game.

I think the melee combat system, the character development system, the monster design and the monster AI are all outstanding. And I think the dungeon designs are quite good. And, I think the lockpicking/trap disarming and magic systems hold lots of under-developed potential. Finally, as skaven said, I can't think of another aRPG I'd rather do multi with. :ahoy:

I'll give you some of the dungeons are interesting but nothing other developers couldn't easily mimic if that was their focus (and Arx Fatalis and others are better). The monster AI I don't accept at all - spawn, run at player.

The character development system looks interesting but really isn't that good. I'll accept some people might like making combinations like Deathlord/Warlock/Shaolei Master but, apart from the fact that these combinations don't make much sense, there's a whole bunch of silly breadth and no depth. For example, let's say you want to be some sort of heavy fighter - have a look at how many different attacks you'll actually have over the course of the entire game. It's just a system where Bradley dazzles people by throwing in every class name he can think of without a skill system of any depth to back it up.

Well I can't believe it sold a million copies. It had the word dungeon in it and had a cool cover. My dad accidentally bought several re-titled Louis L'Amour books. All you need is to be price pointed in the right section without a lot of competition in a popular category...

It goes to prove that all those reviews we complain about more often than not don't amount to a hill of beans.

I was one of the early supporters of the game and was flammed on many sites because I simply had fun with the game. However, when "they" turned the last patch into the Collectors Edition, I stopped playing and never gave the game another look. There's no way I ever buy another Dungeon Lord game unless the word of mouth is really really good.

I am perplexed. What kind of positive brand recognition do they think that Dungeon Lords has?

Still the first one was worth a budget price for MP, but the writing and lore (which usually is more central to an almost five year old brand than the mechanics) were UTTERLY forgettable...

DL certainly sold more than a million units, like most games do. The Computer Bild Spiele cover mount alone was ca. 500k.

That would properly be the right assumption. Even though it is a little cheap I guess you could count it as sales.

WOW how many did DW Bradley buy himself??

Hmmm, let me see. We know that narpet bought it. So did txa, Melvil, skavenhorde, chamr and Dajjer. Gorath says that it sold 500k as a magazine cover. So...

499.994? :lol:

Last edited:
I'm not sure exactly what that is - a magazine cover disk?
Yes, a covermount is something they attach to the cover of a magazine. Obviously one or more DVDs in case of games mags. It can also be somethign different like a box with 24 small bars of HQ chocolate with pics of Pam Anderson, like on the latest Playboy. ;)

DL is on the current CBS together with Syberia 2, Celtic Kings, BMW M3 Challenge and two casual games. Their average print run in Q3 was 650.667 pieces. Approximately 60% was sold, the rest returned.

Especially small and medium sized publishers routinely do covermounts. I have been told the licensing costs for an exclusive are in the 5 digits and the impact on budget sales at retail is neglectable (is this a correct English word?).

Back
Top Bottom