Quantcast
RPGWatch Forums - View Single Post - What are you reading ?
View Single Post

March 18th, 2010, 17:47
Finished the new Harlan Coben, Long Lost in one straight read last night—rather a different take for Myron Bolitar, Jewish sports agent and unofficial murder investigator, and his preppy WASP martial arts killer friend, Windsor Horne Lockwood III. As usual, there's a lot of humor and repartee between Myron, the tongue in cheek emo boy scout, and Win the cold blooded but loyal deceptive poor little rich kid stereotype grown up. This time, instead of New York's transvestite scene or the seamy side of sports, however, they're in a post-911 world of terrorists, dystopian genetic kidnapping, torture and the Mossad.

I have to say it works, though a lot of his long time fans have panned the book. I liked it. Series writers tend to get very worn down by their compulsory characters over time(witness John Sandford and his Lucas Davenport novels) and I think they have to venture beyond just writing endless replicating adventures. Coben did that, and though at times the book is just a little extraneously sloppy emotionally for me, he pulled it all together and made it work, though the ending very much leaves any further books on the adventures of Bolitar and Win up in the air.

Good read for those fond of the crime and detection genre, with a little overlap into thriller on this one.
--
Where there's smoke, there's mirrors.

magerette

Hedgewitch

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)