The New World - Design Topic: Dialogue Checks

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
In the latest design topic for The New World, more information is provided on how dialogue checks will be handled in the game and enabling you to vote for this new system or retaining the system that was in place for AoD.

When designing AoD dialogue system, our goal was simple: your character’s skills must determine conversations' outcomes (i.e. success or failure). The dialogue checks were equally simple: if your skill is high enough, you pass the check, otherwise you fail. It created 3 problems:

1. You never had to consider what the NPC would respond best to. Any tagged line would result in instant success if you have the skill, meaning that your dialogue option was not an attempt (as it should be) but guaranteed success, which made considering the options redundant.

2. Since all dialogues had multiple checks to simulate realistic conversations, it didn’t matter how many checks you passed and how well you were doing until that last check that resulted in failure (i.e. early success didn’t contribute to anything and thus didn’t matter).

3. The rigid nature of the system forced us to lower the checks to make the hybrids (i.e. jacks of all trades with lower skills) viable, which in turn made playing talkers an easy mode.

We did have a couple of interesting dialogues. When you talk to Lorenza, she asks you some questions to understand your motivations better (before she makes her decision), and your answers modify the checks later on, making them easier or harder.

In The New World we’d like to engage the player, make him/her consider the options instead of clicking on the line with the tag matching your highest skill, yet still keep the system skill-driven. It’s not an easy task as this problem doesn’t have a perfect solution, so I’m asking you to consider both systems (see below) and vote for the one where the pros outweigh the cons.

Thanks Pladio.

More information.

This game looks better and better with every new info

Yes, I would like to see more "fuzzy" outcomes where the result isn't just a success or failure, but more of a sliding scale of success that may require further negotiation. I know that means more work for the developers, but it also gives the NPC a persona rather than making them automatons that produce a robotic response. Not every NPC requires that of course; just the notable ones.

Back
Top Bottom