Wasteland 2 - Preorder Price Increasing

Dhruin

SasqWatch
I have to remind everyone who skipped Wasteland2 kickstarter project and later supported Obsidian's Eternity with $165+ doesn't have to preorder it.

Of course, you can still support Wasteland2 by donating some cash via paypal, or if you want to gift the game to your better half, $20 is an awsome bargain.

my rule nr.1 in gaming …
NEVER PREORDER!

Preorder is a thing of the past, when retail stores would only get X amount of boxes. In this day of digital distribution it makes no sense, unless the preorder price is below retail price (or, in the case of MMOs, if it comes with things like early start, beta test access, etc)

my rule nr.1 in gaming …
NEVER PREORDER!

my rule number 1 in gaming is play good games .... And sometimes by pre-ordering you give a bit of extra support to developer/publisher.

I very rarely pre-order these days. There's no reason to unless, like wolfing said, you're getting it at a discount, and that's almost never the case. If I'm really looking forward to playing a game, then sometimes I'll purchase it the evening prior to launch if there's an option to pre-load it.

Risen 2 was the only game I preordered last year, and I don't see anything on the horizon that's worth buying prior to launch. Most games seem to offer some kind of DLC bonus for pre-ordering, and the vast majority consist of content that I have no interest in. Usually just a few extra in-game items that have no connection to the story and are overpowered.

I don't pre-order unless it gives me some specific advantage that I'm sure I'll benefit from.

For something like this, I think it's a mistake to raise the price when it's at 20$. I think the sweet spot would be between 15-20$. I'd guestimate a loss when going much higher, though five bucks might be insignificant.

Preorder is a thing of the past, when retail stores would only get X amount of boxes. In this day of digital distribution it makes no sense, unless the preorder price is below retail price (or, in the case of MMOs, if it comes with things like early start, beta test access, etc)

That's the plan here, slowly raising the price up to the final retail price. It won't retail for $20 or even for $25. Buying new will see a higher price, much like how Mount & Blade did it.

I suppose it depends on where it becomes available upon release, or shortly afterwards.

If it's not exclusive - you're bound to be able to get it relatively cheap within a short period of time.

This is part of the reason I don't think it's very smart to attach a high price to a game like this. It may be niche - but it's not so niche that people will accept anything. Especially not if they're inclined to pirate it.

20$ sounds like the perfect sweet spot to me.

I have very rarely preordered, but with KS, it kind of comes with the package. But I have pledged to these projects because I wanted to support them and help them get made, not because I wanted to preorder.

I think the only game I ever regularly preordered was Oblivion CE. I didn't really like O. that much, so there is that. On the other hand it was a really good deal, since they accidentally shipped two boxes to me. I stil have one in the original shrink wrap safely stored away, which I will sell 20 year from now to some CRPGnut (not you!) for $1000 on ebay... :D

Back
Top Bottom