RIP Ursula Le Guin

That's a sad thing to hear. I did enjoy and have been meaning for a long time to re-read her Earthsea series. I have a copy of The Left Hand of Darkness - maybe I'll pick that up as my next read.

RIP.

Met her once at the world SF convention when it was held in Oz many years ago. Very interesting and intelligent woman; always enjoyed her work.

Passed away a short while ago at age 88. For me "the Left Hand of Darkness" is still one of the best books I have every red.

Mine too. Actually, I just bought it on Kindle in order to read it again. Also, just saw a short interview, in a TV program about the history of SF.

Sad news. RIP.

pibbur who has planned to reread every book in her Hainish cycle.

Loved the first three books of the Earthsea series. Thought the 4th book, many years later, was lame and out of touch. RIP Ged/Sparrowhawk.

Earthsea was my very first fantasy book series when I was growing up...it was brilliant. I loved reading those books, they basically got me hooked and into the fantasy genre.

Did you read Tehanu too, or just the original trilogy? I loved the trilogy.

Which one? There has been three in Oz. I am no older enough to have attended the first but went to the next 2.

I was at the first in Melb when she was the main speaker back in the 70's. I didn't hear about the other 2.

me? I read the original trilogy. Didn't even know she had put out another book published years later in the series.

Sad news indeed. She was a favorite author growing up.

One of the things I like about her books: They're fairly short (or should I say "of normal length"), not hyperinflated 600+ pages. To the point.

pibbur whose last ULG read was "Changing Planes" (256 pages), and who recommends that book. Very much.

PS: Long books aren't necessarily bad - I'm at the moment rereading and enjoying the 700 page "Redemption Ark" by Alastair Reynolds, but quite often it's pages after pages of irrelevance. Paid by the number of words? DS.

PPS. Just read today (!) that the Guinnes world record for the longest novel goes to "À la recherche du temps perdu" by Marcel Proust. 9,609,00 characters (whitespace included), 3500 pages. Initially published in 7 books, but apparently considered one novel, not 7. DS.

Last edited:
Somehow, this story was new to me. I am sorry to hear it. I also enjoyed her EarthSea series, and also never read the fourth one.

Back
Top Bottom