Ubisoft - Trailer Announces Might and Magic X

Indeed! Oh wow, AAA step based!

They have my attention.

That said, there are a lot of hoops they have to jump through to get from there to 'they have my money'. I expect to wait on reviews before buying this, but it will be on my watch list. That's really about as much as can be expected from a teaser trailer.

told you the world is changing. sadly the big money dudes already lost a great deal with their stupid projects.
but more 3A will be coming with this sweet flavor

Indeed! Oh wow, AAA step based!

Bastards, aren't they? Leaving you to blaze the trail and then cash in once the risks start to seem worthwhile... ;)
Still going to buy Sovereign, though, fear not!

I blame Almost Human's Legend of Grimrock for this :D

That might be quite close to the truth in my opinion too. I wonder how many copies has Grimrock sold so far. I know from a GOG interview, that it sold about 17000 copies in the first month on GOG alone. That number alone might not be overly impressive, but i bet it sold several times more than that on Steam. In a month. Add sales through their own digital download shop and gamersgate. Not bad for a step based indie dungeon crawler with almost nonexistant story. The bottom line is, although Ubisoft is a big publisher with their main focus on consoles, they still have quite a few PC exclusive franchises left. I'm willing to bet my hat, that Grimrock has actually outsold most of the latest iterations of these franchises.

Edit: oh wow, i'm speechless:

http://indiegames.com/2013/01/legend_of_grimrock_sales_surpa.html

Anyone know much about this Limbic Entertainment?
Limbic made patches, DLC and balanced HoMM6, IMO they did a great job.
It took them a while though as the game was originally developed by Black Hole but due to "differencies" with Ubisoft, the game afterrelease support was outsourced by that same Ubisoft to Limbic.
I have to add another thing, it was Limbic CEO himself who fought with our (fans) questions on official Ubi forums about HoMM6. He wasn't hiding nor was afraid of customers like some other developers.

Is limbic considered AAA now? I think it looks great, but I don't think many find the heroes of might and magic AAA.

Limbic made patches, DLC and balanced HoMM6, IMO they did a great job.
I looked at Limbic's website when I saw their name at the end of the trailer. It says they make mobile games. It didn't fill me with much joy I must say. If this game is watered down just so it can also be played on phones/ipad there will be hell to pay.

Just praying it's a PC only game.

P.S. In Limbic's patches for H6 did they remove that pathetic Sanctuary town? Did they remove the spells as skills and replace them with a Mage Guild? Did they remove area of control? Did they remove the ability to destroy buildings and replace them? If not they still have a lot of work to do.

New Rules!

I'm actually wary of that one…
Obviously I have no idea how this particular project will turn out, but personally I consider "new rules" in the context of "oldschool" to be a good thing in general, because
"new rules" implies willingness to add creative value of your own, as opposed to just giving something already made a facelift.

Trailer looks like the "best case scenario".
Great to also see big publishers going back and "re-learn" what was actually good about the old games. Hope it's not to early but for now Cudos to Ubi-Soft.

This looks great from the limited info so far available and it's not the only one - looks like we're going to get a renaissance in first person RPGs to match what's already been happening with isometric party games.

P.S. In Limbic's patches for H6 did they remove that pathetic Sanctuary town? Did they remove the spells as skills and replace them with a Mage Guild? Did they remove area of control? Did they remove the ability to destroy buildings and replace them? If not they still have a lot of work to do.
As I've already said, they're not afraid to answer questions on the official forums. So please register on Ubisoft forums and ask there instead of trolling here.

Not because they won't answer you here, but because trolling… That's my job. ;)

Ubisoft having anything to do with something that's drm free seems too good to be true. As far as me ever registering on a website that has any connection whatsoever to Ubisoft.....no. Not this guy.

-Carn

Bastards, aren't they? Leaving you to blaze the trail and then cash in once the risks start to seem worthwhile… ;)
Still going to buy Sovereign, though, fear not!

I can just imagine them discussing me in their big offices, plotting to steal my thunder. And someone in the meeting asks "wasn't there some game called Legend of Grimrock? And surely you've heard of Frayed Knights?"

Naah. :biggrin:

That might be quite close to the truth in my opinion too. I wonder how many copies has Grimrock sold so far. I know from a GOG interview, that it sold about 17000 copies in the first month on GOG alone. That number alone might not be overly impressive, but i bet it sold several times more than that on Steam. In a month. Add sales through their own digital download shop and gamersgate. Not bad for a step based indie dungeon crawler with almost nonexistant story. The bottom line is, although Ubisoft is a big publisher with their main focus on consoles, they still have quite a few PC exclusive franchises left. I'm willing to bet my hat, that Grimrock has actually outsold most of the latest iterations of these franchises.

Edit: oh wow, i'm speechless:

http://indiegames.com/2013/01/legend_of_grimrock_sales_surpa.html

Yep! It wouldn't surprise me. Along with the success of recent KS games such as WL2, Eternity, and Torment. I would like to think publishers are paying attention to those games.

Just like any other business, their target is to make money and if this means going old school then why not.

Also notice that this title is for PC only, and out-sourced to another company with UBI being the publisher. This means that they are not treating it as a AAA multi-platform title with a big budget, but as a testing ground for the market.

Back
Top Bottom