Witcher 3 - Interview @ GamingBolt

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
GamingBolt interviewed Senior Level Designer Peter Gelencser to talk about the games comparison With Skyrim, random encounters, and customisation.

Skyrim’s kind of an obvious comparison that everyone draws. As designers, what game would you like The Witcher 3 to be compared to? I mean any games or television programs…

To be honest, itself. Because we don’t create properties to be compared and to be based on other values. It should be good on its own. We are iterating, basically, the feedback we got on The Witcher 1 and 2. We want to make it comfortable and accessible and efficient for you guys. So it’s your game. That’s why it’s not like it’s better than Skyrim or better than something. It’s good for you and you like it, and that’s it.

Is there any customization of Geralt himself?

I mean, we’re trying to maintain the standards we’ve established with the RPG features in the previous games. So customization will obviously include customization of items and equipment and all that. Other than that, we’re considering many possibilities, of course, and if we come to terms with any of them, we will probably feature them in one of our later presentations.

The Witcher 2 wasn’t exactly open world. Do you think going open world in TW3 presents a risk of losing what made The Witcher 1 and 2 so concise?

Actually I don’t think so. Because it was the story that came first, and then it kind of pushed out the environment. Because again, as I said, basically the vastness of the open world is there for you to explore the story. We really mean that. It’s going to be better than this. The vast open world is going to be full of opportunities and chances. So it’s not like everybody said “oh, let’s make an open world game and let’s fill it with chickens and whatever.” We came up with a huge story, that we have to put in some sort of a box. And this box is going to big.
More information.

So it’s not like everybody said “oh, let’s make an open world game and let’s fill it with chickens and whatever.”

It wasn't chicken.
It was draugr.

Bit of an odd response: We want the game to be compared to itself, although I certainly understand the relativism in appealing to fans as being a key measuring stick.

However in the first question at least, I think it wouldn't hurt to be more honest and to directly acknowledge open world mechanics as having existed in other games that have already come before it and not just in Skyrim.

Agreed. There is taking pride in your work and than there is hubris...

I disagree. I don't see a problem with a developer wanting their work to be judged on its own rather than being compared to another game.

Back
Top Bottom