New home question

CelticFrost

SasqWatch
I grow up sort of in the country, just outside of town on a larger property.
Finished college and moved and lived in one of the larger Cities in Canada for 11 years.
Been back for to my home town, married with two children for 15 years. I found a log home an hour from here in the middle of 15 acres. Where are 46 I would owe no money and make very good money off where I am now.

It doesn't matter where I live with my job and my wife wouldn't have to work again. I don't know and sorry for posting this here just looking for feed back as I am having a drink or two before I list this place.

Just one question, out of curiosity:

"my wife wouldn't have to work again" - how will that affect her pension?

pibbur who knows nothing about these things in the USA. But who knows that in Norway it would matter. Significantly.

Can't speak about other implications for you, but can tell you that I sold up and moved out of the city, and owning my home with no debt makes me feel happier. More than I thought.

If you like the location and the condition of the log home then why not do it.

I follow the philosophy of: I work to live not live to work.

While money is important, happiness is more important.

I bought a modest home instead of a big fancy home and love it. No debt and no stress at all.

I'm with Toff here but will add a few more.
Some people need luxury, some love challenges and some, like me, are into functionality.

Are your kids still living with you? If yes, you shouldn't go for some one-room dump. If they left, what for would you keep the huge house?

I had a chance to move to another, larger, newer, fresher, whatever "loft" over here, but that'd mean me travelling/driving to work for over an hour. Currently I go to work - by foot. Why? It's 2 minutes of walk from where I live! If in your case the traveltime would be changed drastically, skip it. Those hours you can spend with your friends and family instead of getting dumb with bloody phone scamming trainware.

The kid factor is definitely something to consider ... we have a fairly huge house, but moving from the Boston area to western NY allowed us to get twice the house for less money :) big part of where we bought the house was the excellent school system. In a year both our kids will be in college and that won't matter - and the house will be massive for two of us ... but we really don't want to move, and will likely move after the kids are done with college anyway.

Like you ... no really purpose, just thinking out loud ... :)

What's important to me - personally - is, how well you could reach the bigger towns if you want to go shopping there, see museums, cinema etc. ... Personally, I'd take train and bus connections into accounting, but that's just me.

Back
Top Bottom