ELEX - Some Thoughts

This must be the first video game you've ever played then if those examples make you call the game "really unpolished."

I've been playing videogames for more than 30 years, it's hardly my first videogame.

I gave some funny examples, there are other less funny, like NPCs not having any situational awareness, unexplainable difficulty spikes, the double tap for rolling being too finicky making you roll when you don't need it and are out of combat, etc.

Just because these aren't deal breakers, it doesn't mean they don't exist or shouldn't be talked about. You're just taking this argument as if someone was attacking Piranha Bytes and you're their paladin.

The game is polished enough for me. It's pretty impressive considering it was made by 27 people with a fraction of the budget of the big developers.

Passive aggressive only?
I guess you missed his rampage on the forums here few months back over Demons Age alpha.

Fluent has two states: Super happy, everything is perfect over games he likes. And full rampage, burn it all to the ground over games he does not like (which atm seems to only be alpha version of Demons Age).

Demons Age was/is a scam.

I've been playing videogames for more than 30 years, it's hardly my first videogame.

I gave some funny examples, there are other less funny, like NPCs not having any situational awareness, unexplainable difficulty spikes, the double tap for rolling being too finicky making you roll when you don't need it and are out of combat, etc.

Just because these aren't deal breakers, it doesn't mean they don't exist or shouldn't be talked about. You're just taking this argument as if someone was attacking Piranha Bytes and you're their paladin.

There are no difficulty spikes. That is the design of Piranha Bytes games, i.e. there is zero or minimal level scaling and difficult monsters are spread throughout the map.

I've also never rolled at any time out of combat. I'm using a controller though.

NPCs need situation awareness, definitely agree.

Talking about issues is one thing. There are several issues in the game that need to be fixed. Calling it unpolished in the way you did is basically meaningless IMO. No game is polished by that standard.

If there is one for comparison, some huge, open-world game with 100+ hours of content (probably closer to 200-300 over multiple playthroughs), that released with some exquisite level of polish, please let me know. And also keep the budget and team size in consideration before you say Witcher 3 (which also had questionable design decisions as I've already pointed out, amongst other things that could be seen as "unpolished".)

As for being a paladin, it's more about just acting on frustration when I see comments like that. PB already does miracles with their games. Do you know how many people + money it took to make the other big open-world RPGs? Let alone handcrafting the entire open-world meticulously, placing every piece of loot by hand in every chest, etc.?

I think it's a great compliment that PB has even been mentioned in the mix with ELEX against other open-world RPGs that have enormously more manpower and budget. That is a miracle in itself really.

Peace.

Who cares about the size of a development team? This "rooting for the little guy" mentality does not have any bearing on whether or not a product has issues. That's just blind adoration talking.

I guess to boil this whole discussion down, games are like new cars. You pick a vehicle that gives you most of what you want, need, or enjoy. No new car has everything you want right out of the showroom. Even a brand new car has its faults, if you will. It does some things extremely well and others, not so much. It doesn't mean it's faulty; it just means it has its strengths and weaknesses. It's still safe and serviceable, just not perfect in all respects.

Who cares about the size of a development team? This "rooting for the little guy" mentality does not have any bearing on whether or not a product has issues. That's just blind adoration talking.

No, it's having consideration for the circumstances that created the game.

For ELEX to even be mentioned amongst the big names I've seen it be mentioned with (Fallout, Skyrim, Witcher, etc.) is a testament to the quality of PB's team and development. They are working with literally a fraction of what those games are made with and coming out favorable against them (in some ways better for me.)

No one should expect a game with 1/10 or less of the budget of those other games to even be in the same ballpark. But somehow it is because PB are warlocks or something.

WHO CARES!

I guess you do, but that naivety doesn't carry you very far in the real world. Good or Bad, that's all that matters. That's what sells copies. That's what pays the bills. Ignoring flaws and focusing on shiny, happy thoughts does not.

The one and only indisputable bonus that Elex has going for it in regard to a small development team is that not many copies need to be sold to begin profiting.

It's polish level is great considered the manpower they had available. That's my point. If you guys want to compare it to games with 10x or more the budget, that doesn't make much sense to me. But it's really just a great compliment for PB.

And the game according to Steam gamers is good. Still churning out 3 out of 4 Positive reviews and counting. :thumbsup:

Updated stats - 1794 reviews, 73% of them are Positive.

If you can't understand what I'm getting at then why keep responding?

Here, I'll help you.

It's polish level is great considered the manpower they had available. If you guys want to compare it to games with 10x or more the budget, that doesn't make much sense to me. But it's really just a great compliment for PB.

Because I find your nonstop posts in every Elex thread about HOW GREAT THE GAME IS OMG I WANT TO HAVE THE DEVELOPERS' LOVE CHILD fucking annoying and tiresome and I reached my breaking point with your drivel.

It's the same in every damn thread for every damn game you like. THIS GAME IS GREAT. NO YOU ARE WRONG, THIS GAME DESERVES YOUR SUPPORT. HAPPY HAPPY JOY JOY!

It's like the ramblings of a 12 year old.

Because I find your nonstop posts in every Elex thread about HOW GREAT THE GAME IS OMG I WANT TO HAVE THE DEVELOPERS' LOVE CHILD fucking annoying and tiresome and I reached my breaking point with your drivel.

It's the same in every damn thread for every damn game you like. THIS GAME IS GREAT. NO YOU ARE WRONG, THIS GAME DESERVES YOUR SUPPORT. HAPPY HAPPY JOY JOY!

I share your feelings man, I really do!
It's not as if discussing politely would do any good, unfortunately. I think the best thing is to just ignore the super duper happy sugar behaviour and move on. It does get in my nerves, too, but that's the internet! :-/

Last edited:

Oh no, Drithius is reaching his breaking point with me. Let me go cry about that. :lol:

And trust me, I could say a few things about you bud. But I won't, because I don't need to stoop to your level. :thumbsup:

I share your feelings man, I really do!
It's not as if discussing politely would do any good, unfortunately. I think the best thing is to just ignore the super duper happy sugar behaviour and move on. It does get in my nerves, too, but that's the internet! :-/

Maybe you should try discussing politely instead of posting twice now in this thread adding nothing constructive to the conversation. That could be a good start. :thumbsup:

People do post politely. And you almost always reply with some snide, passive aggressive remark. And most intelligent people move on from the thread at that point because they're not interested in arguing with someone who has the mentality of a child.

And god forbid someone disagrees with your perspective on a game - it's just not possible in your mind to have differing opinions. Perhaps one day you'll grow out of the everything-revolves-around-me outlook on things.

And that's all I have to say about that.

Oh no, Drithius is reaching his breaking point with me. Let me go cry about that. :lol:

And trust me, I could say a few things about you bud. But I won't, because I don't need to stoop to your level. :thumbsup:

Maybe you should try discussing politely instead of posting twice now in this thread adding nothing constructive to the conversation. That could be a good start. :thumbsup:

I did mention how mediocre I thought the game was and pointed towards a review I thought was very good at assessing the product, so it wasn't that bad, I'd say!

I totally agree with Drithius regarding Fluent's running around the forums, attacking other people for their opinions regarding his precious game, Elex.

I myself was subject to this juvenile behavior, so I'm well aware of it. I don't think its fair to other commentators that when they express their opinion, Fluent is going to attack them or try and bully them, and be rude and obnoxious to them over it.

People do post politely. And you almost always reply with some snide, passive aggressive remark. And most intelligent people move on from the thread at that point because they're not interested in arguing with someone who has the mentality of a child.

And god forbid someone disagrees with your perspective on a game - it's just not possible in your mind to have differing opinions. Perhaps one day you'll grow out of the everything-revolves-around-me outlook on things.

And that's all I have to say about that.

This post is oozing with irony. Thanks for the chuckle. :lol:

I did mention how mediocre I thought the game was and pointed towards a review I thought was very good at assessing the product, so it wasn't that bad, I'd say!

I checked out the review you posted and didn't agree with much of it. But eh, to each their own. :thumbsup:

I totally agree with Drithius regarding Fluent's running around the forums, attacking other people for their opinions regarding his precious game, Elex.

I myself was subject to this juvenile behavior, so I'm well aware of it. I don't think its fair to other commentators that when they express their opinion, Fluent is going to attack them or try and bully them, and be rude and obnoxious to them over it.

Oh look, it's the guy who would continue to support a game developer even if proof comes out that they grossly mistreat their customers, simply because "they make a quality product." That told me all I needed to know about you. :)

Try harder.

My ignore list grows.

Back to ELEX. I stand by the fact that the game is polished relative to the level of budget and manpower behind it. If anyone would like to discuss that original point I made then feel free.

Calling Fluent a bully might be technically true, but its sorta like getting screamed at by the 8 year old kid clutching a teddybear in pajamas. Its meaningless rage.

Worst case scenario he shouts "The revolution is coming" and stops posting for a couple of weeks till his blood pressure returns to normal. At least thats the experience he's given me about non-game related matters.

Just take his adoration and praise with a grain of salt. Every game has its fanatics. @Carnifex; manages to get " IhateDOS2" into every thread. Fluent manages to get "IlovePB" into every one. Just skip his comments if they bother you.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom