Elden Ring - Gameplay Trailer & Release Date

I'm not even sure I want to play this....I want to like the dark soul games etc...but I never seem to get into them. I guess I will wait and see.

I'm not convinced yet that it's just another Dark Souls, and I don't get why people are saying that just based on the trailer. Artistically, yes, it looks very much like DS, but we still know very little about the world design and the gameplay.

I would say it might be the other way. The fact that trailer doesnt suggest FS took significantly different route is what keeps peoples hopes up it will be good old DS.
At least thats how I feel about it.

Cool trailer. The world/story certainly looks interesting. But zero interest for the game itself.

I'm not convinced yet that it's just another Dark Souls, and I don't get why people are saying that just based on the trailer. Artistically, yes, it looks very much like DS, but we still know very little about the world design and the gameplay.

I didn’t get it just from the trailer. I read an interview with Miyazaki a while back and he said we wouldn’t have a fixed character, gameplay would not be so far from DS and that Elden ring would be a natural evolution of Dark souls. Also watched plenty of you tube videos of people who follow it more closely than I.

So I feel pretty comfortable that it will be similar to dark souls ( but expanded) I could always be wrong.

I didn't get it just from the trailer. I read an interview with Miyazaki a while back and he said we wouldn't have a fixed character, gameplay would not be so far from DS and that Elden ring would be a natural evolution of Dark souls. Also watched plenty of you tube videos of people who follow it more closely than I.

So I feel pretty comfortable that it will be similar to dark souls ( but expanded) I could always be wrong.

A "natural evolution" could mean a lot of things though including being significantly different.

As far as people on YouTube, they don't know any more about the game than you or I do.

A "natural evolution" could mean a lot of things though including being significantly different.

As far as people on YouTube, they don't know any more about the game than you or I do.

You’re right many things are still up in the air, but I’d be surprised if it’s not similar to Dark souls. Obviously it’s just my belief not anything factual. :)

Of course there will be similarities to Dark Souls. Fromsoft has been making games with similar gameplay ideas since King's Field, 25 years ago. This is the kind of game that they make. Wishing it was a completely different kind of game is futile.

Having said that, it's not as black and white as some like to make these things out to be. There's a tendency to call lots of games "just another X" when often there are far more differences than similarities between those games. We live in a world in which many people didn't get more nuanced about Fallout 3 than "Oblivion with guns", when in fact of course there were many differences, both in gameplay and in content.

Eden Ring will look and play "like a Dark Souls game" to people who don't bother to look closer than very broad strokes. For my part, I like the general sort of game From makes, so I'm interested in it. At the same time, I expect there to be significant differences between Eden Ring and its predecessors, just like Bloodborne was different from Dark Souls, and Sekiro was different from both (and in the way that the Dark/Demon Souls game were not all identical to each other either)

I have no doubt there will be differences but I guess it comes down to what people see as significant differences.

To me significantly different would be like if I booted up the game and it had a heavy focus on narrative and cutscenes galore. However if one’s idea of significantly different is something like adding adaptability in DS2 or going from a poise heavy combat system in DS1 to a very poise light system in DS3 then I can understand. I fully expect changes like that but I need to see more wholesale changes for me to consider it significantly different.

I’d say from demons souls on the only significantly different one was sekiro. Totally different combat that forced you to play a different way. No leveling, armor, etc, introduced the grapple and posture and a very different setting.

Even bloodbourne although having a different setting and a slightly different combat system still felt like a souls game with a new skin. It was still dark, story was presented in the same way. combat was still circle strafing, rolling or dashing but both still based on iframes, backstabs and parrying ( even if it was with a gun). At the end of my over 600 hours with it I felt like I had played a souls game.

I guess that’s what I’m getting at when I say I expect it to be similar to DS. I’m sure if I make a check box list between ER and DS there will be many difference but at the end of the day I very much expect it to feel like a souls game.

You guys are overcomplicating things. It's a soul-like made by From, and not some shady indie copycat. People who like Demons' Souls, Dark Souls and Bloodborne games will like Elden Ring.

They won't reinvent the wheel. Game developing is a risky industry, especially in times of Covid, especially when investing big budgets into a project. They will take no risks, because they don't need to. They already own this pie.

so it is just dark souls thing ow well what a waste. did feel abit like that or mmo... anyway the first dark souls was one to many…

Really dont get that mindset when people mind existence of games that doesnt suit their taste. There is literally thousands of games out there. Just go and play what suits you better.

Really dont get that mindset when people mind existence of games that doesnt suit their taste. There is literally thousands of games out there. Just go and play what suits you better.

Oh my comment on if I want this or not had nothing to do with if it should exist or not, lots of people like this...I just can't get into them for whatever reason.

What a nice surprise to come back to!

Looks awesome!

It does look a lot like a Souls game and that's because it is. But From feels like "Dark Souls" has to be a certain thing and simply changing the name gives them a lot more freedom to try new things. Clearly we'll see a lot of what we love from previous games but also it will obviously feel very different due to being an open world game.

If it's done well, when you consider how hard it is to find all the "secrets" (for eg. all the Sorcery spells) in Dark Souls even though the level design, though branching, is fairly linear, we're sure to have a lot of exploration to look forward to. This will not be a short game. I suspect will be be as deep as it is wide. No point going open world if you don't intend to fill it with content. It technically doesn't take a massive amount of time to beat the final boss in Dark Souls but people continue to play it for hundreds of hours longer than that and then reroll to try another build. I kept finding new things every run and I was referencing the wiki as I pleased. Just looking at some of those vistas the potential to get lost in this game for weeks in undeniable.

Another thing that's great is you never really have to wait a few patches for the bugs to be sorted out with From games. Other than the original fan-requested PC port that needed some DSfix graphics rendering modification, they've all launched finished after From decided to take PC seriously. I'd honestly be excited to pre-order the game.

I think the main thing I want to see changed from Dark Souls is to have the co-op boss fights be more balanced for co-op and still challenging instead of knowing if you summon someone to help it's pretty much deciding to skip the fight. I enjoy fighting bosses with other players and it would probably be my ideal way to play but I don't want to feel like I'm cheating or giving up by doing so.

I'd love to hear about what classes are available, what their starting equipment and stats will be, etc. Then I can start planning my first character!

Anyway, great to finally see an official trailer. Looks fantastic, can't wait to see more!

Predetermination or entropy, my partner and I were signed up for eligibility to purchase a PS5 at GAME, and we were both assigned one each yesterday - one Digital Edition, and one Disc Edition with Spiderman. I'm installing Demons' Souls as I type this, the news of the Elden Ring just made me so hyped to play it.

I feel the Elden Ring is going to be a great game. Just a hunch.

Predetermination or entropy, my partner and I were signed up for eligibility to purchase a PS5 at GAME, and we were both assigned one each yesterday - one Digital Edition, and one Disc Edition with Spiderman. I'm installing Demons' Souls as I type this, the news of the Elden Ring just made me so hyped to play it.

I feel the Elden Ring is going to be a great game. Just a hunch.

Do not buy the digital edition...I regret it as sony has monopolized the sales you can get on digital games now.....no buy digital game codes elsewhere that may be on sale.

I would love it if Elden Ring is a blend of Dark Souls and King's Field. I enjoyed the Dark Souls games very much, but I miss the added depth of exploration that King's Field offered.

I would love it if Elden Ring is a blend of Dark Souls and King's Field. I enjoyed the Dark Souls games very much, but I miss the added depth of exploration that King's Field offered.

Loved King's Field 1 & 2 on the PS1. I think the first game was one of the first fully 3D RPGs I played. 3D in the sense that it used an actual 3D engine not just a 3D perspective.

Nice, thanks! Well worth a read.

For instance, the player can jump now
This sounds like such a basic thing that many would just shrug off but the previous souls games have had such a great vertical design to the maps that I think being able to jump will be a massive addition to that. Like the final missing piece. It was always about looking down and dropping to a ledge and now we'll be looking in all directions.
being able to summon the spirits of deceased enemies and use them as allies in battles.
Necromancy magic confirmed?! (Probably just talking about offline phantoms, but we'll see.)
So before, where there was a certain skill attached to a certain weapon, now you're actually able to freely interchange skills between a large variety of weapons. There are, I believe, around a hundred skills in total.
Sounds like there will be some fantastic build customization!

It's all sounding so good!

6 Major areas all with a main dungeon and various castles and things to explore. I can't wait to see these dungeons! :D

Back
Top Bottom