Anyone else using 4GB of RAM in WinXP 32bit?

JDR13

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor
Just curious how much RAM your system is showing. I'm using WinXP Pro SP2 right now, and it only reports approx 3.4GB. I'm aware of the 32 bit OS RAM limit, but are there any tweaks that allow it to access more?

Last edited:
That is the most you can get with xp 32bit. 2GB is the most it can use at any given time without context switching anyway so anything over that will give diminishing returns.

Sure I got 4gb on winxp 32. cheaper and easier to buy 2x2gb than 3x1gb.

I'm showing something like 3.4 too. AFAIK the only thing that you can do that affects it is to make sure that your integrated video chip is using as little memory as possible... that is if you got one.... and for some reason keep it enabled....

That is the most you can get with xp 32bit. 2GB is the most it can use at any given time without context switching anyway so anything over that will give diminishing returns.

I thought it could use 3 GB... Or do you mean 2GB is the most it can allocate to an individual program?

I would grab 4GB, then go with 64bit when you upgrade to Windows 7. Sure, you won't be able to use up to a gig of it, but it's easier and sometimes cheaper to get 4gb than 3gb. My work computer have 4gb but can allocate 2,74gb of it. This seems to be related to the CPU. My main computer have a Core i7 in it. My server have a 64bit Athlon with 3gb of ram and can allocate all 3gb of it. My older intel, Q6600, could only allocate 2,50gb.

I've already had 4GB for some time now, I was just curious if there were any tweaks to help utilize it better. I also have an unopened copy of Vista 64 Ultimate, but I've decided to sell it and wait for Windows 7.

Im actually holding back my purchase of an EEE PC while waiting for windows 7

If you did tweak I think the software would have to be written to take advantage of the extra memory anyway, so I doubt it would do much more than cause problems.

Im actually holding back my purchase of an EEE PC while waiting for windows 7

The Ubuntu Jaunty Jackalope Netbook Remix is really good. Netbooks are too wimpy to play games on anyway (other than with DOSBox, which also works on Linux). You might want to try giving that a spin.

The Ubuntu Jaunty Jackalope Netbook Remix is really good. Netbooks are too wimpy to play games on anyway (other than with DOSBox, which also works on Linux). You might want to try giving that a spin.

I'm not planning to play games on it. It's going to be my tool for writing schoolwork during the upcoming years in which I have to spend 2 hours per day on a train. I need to be able to have full Office 2007 support a long with compatibility with other win-applications, and I would like that support without hassle. It might also have a second job in being a walkthrough-reader when playing games and a GM tool when leading RPG's. This means that it needs decent PDF support, compatibility with dicerollers etc. I have the required applications available already and I wouldn't want to be forced to learn how to set up a samba network and wireless access to internet on a new operatingsystem.

I've already had 4GB for some time now, I was just curious if there were any tweaks to help utilize it better. I also have an unopened copy of Vista 64 Ultimate, but I've decided to sell it and wait for Windows 7.

I have a tweak I use on my computer to better utilize memory ... I boot to Mac OS X ... :D

There are programs here and there that let you see more of the 4GB, but it's really not worth it. They install some deep drivers and who knows what they might mess up. If you had 6GB it might be worth it, but for 4 it's not. Besides, Windows 7 is around the corner (October release I believe)

I'm not planning to play games on it. It's going to be my tool for writing schoolwork during the upcoming years in which I have to spend 2 hours per day on a train. I need to be able to have full Office 2007 support a long with compatibility with other win-applications, and I would like that support without hassle. It might also have a second job in being a walkthrough-reader when playing games and a GM tool when leading RPG's. This means that it needs decent PDF support, compatibility with dicerollers etc. I have the required applications available already and I wouldn't want to be forced to learn how to set up a samba network and wireless access to internet on a new operatingsystem.

All of these applications running at the same time shouldn't even need the full 2 GB, let alone 4.

All of these applications running at the same time shouldn't even need the full 2 GB, let alone 4.

I meant I was waiting on Win7 before buying an EEE PC, but not because of 4gb capability. I do not want Vista on EEE PC and since WinXP is going away I would prefer to have the most recent operating system. I will probably upgrade to Win7 64bit on my main computer though.

some of the limits are BIOS based but more often than not there are firmware upgrades.

The only tweak which could be made to use more memory is to have adresses in the 2 GB memory space point out the adress of other parts in memory, that would increase the time of a memory read greatly, so I don't see much use in that at all.

I went for the 8GB on Vista Ultimate 64 bit edition. When I bought my pc (only 4GB RAM) in March 2008, the drivers weren't good and the support for 64-bit programs was pretty lame. In the Meantime the support has improved a lot and I can use most of my programs again without lifting my finger to much.

Conclusion: go for a 64bit OS.

You could use the memory remap function with the registry trick (search on google). But I think the better solution is Vista or Win 7 64 bit.
64 bit support is almost mature and you can find drivers and a lot of applications without problems.

Follow Batracus conclusion!

I've decided to wait for Windows 7. I've never been impressed by Vista, and I just don't think it's worth the money at this stage.

Back
Top Bottom