Deus Ex: Human Revolution - The Missing Link DLC Announced

Dhruin

SasqWatch
The Deus Ex site has announced The Missing Link DLC, due for October:
The Deus Ex: Human Revolution conspiracy grows deeper in The Missing Link. During Adam's quest for the truth in Deus Ex: Human Revolution, he mysteriously vanishes for three days. Where was he? What did he find out? The Missing Link reveals it all.
After being tortured by Belltower agents and having his augmentations disabled, Adam Jensen must rely solely on his basic capabilities to escape from a freighter, destined for an unknown location. While fighting for his survival on the ship, he uncovers another layer to the conspiracy that he never would have suspected. As Adam, befriend new, mysterious allies and fight ruthless enemies to discover what was happening in the shadows during the events of Deus Ex: Human Revolution!
-New layers of conspiracy unveiled
-Sprawling new environments
-Brand-new characters to interact with
-Rebuild Adam's augmentation set from scratch. Build up a brand new Adam!
What is The Missing Link? You'll find out soon...
More information.

Sweet.

I'm assuming it's standalone but hopefully they'll incorporate it into the middle of the game (where it actually happens) as well. Either way, I'll sure be buying it.

I don't think so, its worse than AP gameplaywize, or even hitman
and the exploring part was good in the first town (part of the game) but not great
expected more, more details, more content, more variety,
This is a game that i will never replay, I say it again, no one will play something, if he doesn't feel he missed a good part
I m not sure what is wrong with the designers these days, but I've kind of lost all faith :)

DX:HR has some flaws, but overall it's a very good game. At the very least, it's far better than Invisible War without a doubt.

Looking forward to the DLC, but… October? :-/

October is just in 1 month...or do you mean "so soon?" by that. I have the feeling that most developers plan their games with "DLCs" in mind...

oh well.

Nah.. I want it sooner. :)

Depending on when in October it's released, it could be 2 months or more after DX was released. That's too long for the first DLC imo.

Well in the mean time you might find something interesting on Belltower.

Well, if this game lived in a bubble then 1.5 months or so for large single player DLC would be fine. But there's at least 4 fairly large games coming out in the next 3 months (more, but 4 I will be buying day one). I guess I'll buy this and play it later.

Oh, and to say this game is worse than AP or Hitman is purely subjective. I loved AP but for completely different reasons. And as much as I love stealth games the Hitman games are pretty friggin lacking (and forgive me but consolized controls & inventory). This game feeds my Thief stealth game needs...almost perfectly. Sure it has flaws but I've been more entertained by this game than almost any other for the last year or more.

Hitman was not my cup of tea at all. Alpha Protocol was good. Deus Ex HR is great, sort of a grown-up AP.

human revolution was a great game and i'm not sure if i'd rate it higher than alpha protocol or not, though i'd hardly call it a grown-up Alpha Protocol. if you mean have as little meaningful choices and consequences that affect the game then maybe. that's one of the chinks in the noble armour of human revolution as to me the choices in the game were pretty miniscule and it seems like the average person would pick more or less the same choices. in that category its inferior to both prior deus ex games. looking forward to the dlc and as much as they want to dole out as i highly doubt we'll see another full game in the series, even if its a "anniversary remake" for a number of years.

Imo, DX:HR is too different from AP to really compare the two. I think V:tMB is actually a better comparison because of the similar setup with the hub levels and missions.

Well in the mean time you might find something interesting on Belltower.

So what's the deal with that site?

Am I the only one who thinks that the whole "character reset" thing (done, in this case, by switching of the augs) is pretty annoying and sounds like someone was missing good ideas? For me, it's annoying as hell when done in a sequel, but now they also start doing it in a DLC...

Sounds ok, I suppose. I hope they manage to release a proper expansion or something similar in terms of DLC. I'd love to get a replay going at some point, with enough new content to make it all worthwhile.

Sadly, I don't think the game has a lot of replay value - as all augmentations are available on a single playthrough - or at least all the interesting ones. The story doesn't really branch, and as far as I can see only has a few choices that really make an impact.

Also, they really need to adjust the way energy cells work. I'd say just make them all recharge, but at a slower rate. That, or make an augmentation that lets you keep more cells recharged. The way the system works now, especially with augs like silent running and see-through-walls, you're almost discouraged from combining them - which is a big problem in a game like this. They need to tweak how these things work, so you don't feel restricted once you've invested in these powers.

I can't express enough of my frustration with the many, many situations where it would have been wonderful to combine silent running, cloaking, and double-take down - for instance. Naturally, such a thing should be costly - but at some point they really should let you play more freely with your stuff. All the difficult situations could easily be beat by spamming energy bars, anyway, so it wouldn't be a big balance issue to let the player have some fun being a super-human.

October is just in 1 month…or do you mean "so soon?" by that. I have the feeling that most developers plan their games with "DLCs" in mind…

oh well.

Many developers hire/assign team members to start working on DLC way before the game is even released. It is why many people seem to think that DLC is just ripped out content, because it gets released so soon. But in reality it is because there was already a separate team already working on this content way before the game even releases.

Just completed it today. Will definitely be going for a 2nd playthrough as I did miss quite a few things which friends have told me about, to my amazement - I didn't expect certain events to have alternate results, like the hostage situation (wasn't in time to save the hostages).

One of the best games I've played recently, better than ME (which I forced myself to complete) or AP (which I quite enjoyed). Of course, I played it the way I'd play DX: got rid of the cover system by unbinding it (and the game is still perfectly playable without it), disabled the hand holding mechanics. It was a challenging enough game, and I liked the multitude of ways to handle situations. It's a very DX game, and while I don't think it's as good as DX, it is nonetheless an excellent game in its own right. It has its shortcomings (bosses, environment not very interactive), but it's good enough for me to ignore them, so that speaks volumes about the rest of the game.

Absolutely can't wait for the DLC :)

I hope this dlc is better than it sounds, just the premise sounds like it doesn't fit in the game.

AP is a RPG, DE3 isn't. I'm not saying DE3 isn't a good game, just hard to see it as a more than a Action game, with some RPG elements. Granted Eidos Montreal pulled off a minor miracle just managing not to piss everyone off. ;)

I really haven't found any choice and consequences here in DE3, yet in AP almost every conversation can and often does have an effect on the game. Of course there is no comparison to the budgets and production value. If AP had this this much funding, would have been a much better game than how it was forced out unfinished.

@Dhruin
Acleacius and curious have said the main idea, but I was simply comparing the gameplay while in combat zones. Hitman offered more and diverse alternatives for assassinations. And also gave better rewards, or maybe I was a young fool :), but i loved playing it over and over, I didn't find my motivation here

I have to mention, the thing i hated in AP was present here ... invisibility -_- thats so like cheating, designers way out, so nobody gets stuck

i agree, even in a futuristic game like deus ex cloaking is a bit of a stretch. in a far future game maybe, but 2027? now cloaking that affects robots or cameras might be more reasonable as it could basically be some sort of scrambling device. the prior deus ex games i believe did distinguish between the two in fact. truth be told the augs (at least active ones) in human revolution were a let down. i suppose they didn't want to tread on "future" waters of the prior/future games. and speaking of water, i hope we see a return to swimming as that was a big part of the deus ex games. seems like so many games leave that out these days when that adds so much potential to a game.

Back
Top Bottom