Fallout 76 - Won't Launch on Steam

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
PC Gamer reports that Fallout 76 will not be launching on Steam.

The Fallout 76 beta FAQ states, among other things, that "the B.E.T.A. [that's a Fallout-style acronym for Break it Early Test Application] and the game will be available on Xbox One, PlayStation 4, and on PC (via Bethesda.net only)." The Fallout 76 purchase page also bears only a generic "PC game" logo, with no mention of Steam. And today, Bethesda confirmed that neither the beta nor the full game will be released on the platform.

[...]
Thanks henriquejr!

More information.

Ha called it the game will be the first to use only Bethesda.net. So anyone a betting man that future games will only use Bethesda.net like Blizzards Battle.net.:evilgrin:

It is a risky move on their part. To forfeit the large gamer database that Steam has (which is, by itself, a piece of software already tested and consolidated), in the name of another gaming client nobody even asked for. As if we needed another excuse to not buy this game...

More paid mods to go with your games as a service anyone?

More paid mods to go with your games as a service anyone?

Yes, it seems so. I don't really know what's passing in the head of Bethesda's men responsible for taking such decisions…

I know I am waaay too late saying this (since other WatchMembers already did it) but this is the first time I really really wish the Fallout franchise went to another developer.

One more notch on the way to failville.

iu

Well, well... interesting. Will wait and see how this plays out. Steam has massive
numbers in their favor.

Will the real Fallout please stand up?

Yes, it seems so. I don't really know what's passing in the head of Bethesda's men responsible for taking such decisions…

I know I am waaay too late saying this (since other WatchMembers already did it) but this is the first time I really really wish the Fallout franchise went to another developer.

That ship has sailed sadly. If you are a fan of Fallout 1 & 2 it is worthwhile to check out Encased. Power armour and Planet of the Apes, in an apocalyptic setting with the Fallout style. I think these guys will really deliver.

Wanting to control your own distribution makes sense. I don't begrudge them for it, really.

At the same time, my interest in anything they're doing (or in some cases, how they're doing it re: Creation Club) is plummeting faster than Ethan Hunt out of a plane.

It is a risky move on their part. To forfeit the large gamer database that Steam has (which is, by itself, a piece of software already tested and consolidated), in the name of another gaming client nobody even asked for. As if we needed another excuse to not buy this game…

Valve also took a huge gamble with HL2 when it required Steam, however back then this dristribution model via one client was new and now Bethesda tries to throw it's weight as an AAA developers/publisher around and establish it's own distribution client... Maybe the game is good enough, maybe they will fail to grab a significant share as Origin etc. did.

Well given that I will never buy a game from Bethesda.net I guess I won't be buying any more Bethesda games.
-
I can understand the issue with steam taking a 30% cut and to be honest they should be able to negotiate a better deal (if they haven't) but like blizzard.net I'm not going that direction. Now if they want to send a disk without an online requirement (not relevant to this game); that is another story.

That ship has sailed sadly. If you are a fan of Fallout 1 & 2 it is worthwhile to check out Encased. Power armour and Planet of the Apes, in an apocalyptic setting with the Fallout style. I think these guys will really deliver.

Encased? Intriguing, must find out more. Thanks Silver.

Wanting to control your own distribution makes sense. I don't begrudge them for it, really.

I don't think they'll eschew Sony's and Microsoft's DL stores, though, so it does NOT make sense. I think this is just about Steam making some monetization schemes difficult...

I don't think they'll eschew Sony's and Microsoft's DL stores, though, so it does NOT make sense. I think this is just about Steam making some monetization schemes difficult…
Par the course as usual just look at Diablo III.

Only the PC Market needs multiple game clients it seems.
Has any new videos or screenshots been show yet?

All I see is artwork & concept art on the webpage.o_O

Could you provide us some links? The game "Planet of Apes" I'm finding is from PS2 era???

Could you provide us some links? The game "Planet of Apes" I'm finding is from PS2 era???
Here you go. As I said not much info available yet.

About the game

• Encased is a modern single player sci-fi post-apocalyptic isometric role-playing game. It’s all about exploration, adventures, and survival inside a sealed territory.
  • Our game is heavily inspired by the famous isometric RPGs of the late 90’s and early 2000’s. However, we aim not only to repeat the essential aspects that made those games golden classics, but also to improve and evolve the genre even further.
  • The player is a participant in a project researching the technology and artifacts of a long-gone civilization. Wondrous discoveries, mysterious artifacts, and dangerous anomalies are constant companions.
  • The story campaign will last twenty-five to thirty hours with significant replay potential. Play any character you want and watch the world change in response to your actions.
  • The game will feature turn-based combat. All mechanics are designed to give players a large number of tactical choices, freedom of action and an ability to approach every combat situation in a unique and creative way.

Link - http://darkcrystalgames.com/

Thanks Couchpotato!!! Somehow I misread @Silver;'s post: I was thinking he was referring to three games (Encased, Power Armour and Planet of Apes) instead of only one :p :p

Dumb me!!! :)

Thanks Couchpotato!!! Somehow I misread @Silver's post: I was thinking he was referring to three games (Encased, Power Armour and Planet of Apes) instead of only one :p :p

Dumb me!!! :)
At first me two but hey A Planet of Apes RPG sounds intriguing.:drool:
The twitter account is quite active and shows lots of concept art and some video.
https://twitter.com/DarkCrystal_HQ

Planet of the Apes concept art
https://twitter.com/DarkCrystal_HQ/status/1025063680889614336

Heres a snippet of videos you probably haven't seen
https://twitter.com/DarkCrystal_HQ/status/1021439809951358976
https://twitter.com/DarkCrystal_HQ/status/1020716031478820864
Thanks as I stay away from Social Media nowadays.:thumbsup:

Back
Top Bottom