The ever-popular "Currently Listening" thread

dte-
finally listened to that first yellow orange red track you posted today. i enjoyed it though i'm not sure if they are a band i could get into. i tend to prefer the darker and "drowning out" or "aquanotic" as i like to call it sound that comes from the more goth sounding ethereal/dreamrock/pop or shoegaze bands/songs. i enjoy the bright and happy stuff to but appreciate it more when it has more insturments that are akin to its sometimes celtic sounding roors. its kind of the reason why i never bought a sundays album until recently which i have yet to listen to and give them a fair shake. a great indie effort though and who knows in time i could get to like them. thanks for the find. have you posted the "fleeting joys" before? i saw them referenced on that page, and i know i've seen them before and may even have a comp with them on it though i can't remember what they sound like...

Some folks really love the Fleeting Joys. It's a very shoegaze group (as opposed to dreampop), lots of dense noise. I'll listen when they pop up on Vertigo, but I wouldn't buy their stuff.
FJ MySpace page

Good comp hit the streets today. Well, I think, based on the tracks I've heard already, that it would be a good comp. Info here

Currently listening to the internet stream of the Cowboys game. Frickin' NFL Network games.... :mad: Cheeseheads up 3-0 after their opening drive, Good Guys taking the field now.

Middle Earth Ensemble
listening to their Debut CD

No, they arent Tolkien-heads jamming out all dressed up as Uruk Hai and Dwarves and what not (even tho you know that wouldnt bother me if they were!)

No, their definition of "middle earth" is:
Looking at Earth from Space, the Middle East, Africa, Asia and Europe all come together in the Mediterranean, literally meaning the "Middle-Earth".....

I saw them perform at Lestat's coffehouse here in San Diego last night, they were really good. Tho much of the metal I listen to (particularly Therion) has a lot of this type of middle eastern flavor to it, however Ive never really sat down and gave this type of music a serious listen. I was suprised how much liked it, this was a really good band!

Then out came the belly dancers.....

I also strangely enough was getting a lot of RPG vibes in this music. Seriously! I felt like I was in some sort of weird RPG cantina or something. It was dimly lit except for the performers. The ganesh cones were going, the ancient-sounding tune being played (and quite loudly over amps) by sitar, flute, drum, mandolin, etc in full swing. Bejeweled dancer writhing to the beat, glistening with sweat....

Needless to say (but I'll say it anyway of course) I think that I'll be seeing another one of their shows soon, I need to turn some friends on to this one. I frequent a couple of the local coffeehouses they regularly play at, just have never been at the right place and time I guess.

Obscure Aussie for today courtesy of Vertigo, reminds me quite a bit of Cocteau Twins:

"Close" by Tegan Northwood

@magerette- looks like she's a horticulture meister, perhaps you'll understand what she's talking about at the end of her bio blurb

@sammy- your taste has gotten nearly as scatalogical as Jazzy's, not that that's a bad thing. Medieval chamber music, bellydancing, and death metal. The funny thing is that you can pluck out some common threads that connect it all on a consistent spectrum.

Last edited:
I've always enjoyed Middle Eastern music Sammy. Have you tried Sarah Brightman's album "Harem"? http://www.amazon.com/gp/recsradio/...2-0707511-1274444?ie=UTF8&refTagSuffix=dp_img
It's not nearly as authentic as what you were describing (which sounded awesome btw) but there are some nice middle-eastern flavors there.

Perhaps more authentic would be Loreena McKinnits dual disc "Live in Toronto" album. There are some nice live set middle eastern pieces on that. http://www.amazon.com/gp/recsradio/...2-0707511-1274444?ie=UTF8&refTagSuffix=dp_img "Marco Polo" is one I had specifically in mind... I can almost see the belly dancers now...

I'm a Sarah fan, but Ive been outta the loop for a long time w/ her, I dont have that release. Thx for the referral, just ordered it used!
I have pretty much all her stuff, Time to Say Goodbye is such a great cd, gonna throw it on now since I'm prolly gonna be up all night in a weird candlelit black and white tv w/ no sound going twilight zone (went to bed after work w/ a migraine). Went down and chilled in the jacuzzi for a while w/ some unknown half-corked dames that were hanging out in there topless (i love california!), so I'm pretty mellow and 'time to say goodbye' should hit the spot. Water must have been 120 degrees in there! I'm like feeling valium'd out, yet I cant imagine sleeping.

Never done the Loreena Mkennit thing, I have a friend who really likes her but Ive never given her a shot yet. There's some artists I just am saving for later ina way, she's one of them.

Following up on the medieval/middle eastern thing, I'd offer up Dead Can Dance. Lisa Gerrard's solo stuff might be an even better fit.

i saw dead can dance for the first and only time at the hollywood bowl a couple of years ago. it was an amazing experience as it was one of the only shows on that tour that they played with a full orchestra. what sucks is though it was never released officially like the other ones because the la symphony wanted far too much money to make the selling of the recorded concert viabale...damn shame.

oh and even though that was far from my first time in la, it was my first time riding on the la subway. what's weird is many people living in la don't even know there is one, and riding on it was like riding on a train in a post apocolyptic movie it was so desolate:)

i would recommend this song (always played as a 2 parter) i can see/american dreaming which we may be playing at my wedding.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CclpK9yQFzk

plus i've always liked this song (the carnival is over)...but listening to it near the beach adjacent to the santa cruz boardwalk during stormy weather...unforgetable
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LtNFQ7RJbaQ&feature=related

oh and for a really great sounding celtic rock band you should try and look up "the moors" they had a great album released on CvB records back in the late nighties. one of a number of stellar boston bands. just found a video, didn't even know they had any!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4yLcyPOHI6M
here's their myspace page as well; had no idea they were still together.
http://www.myspace.com/80965155

Following up on the medieval/middle eastern thing, I'd offer up Dead Can Dance. Lisa Gerrard's solo stuff might be an even better fit.

Lisa Gerrard collaborated with Hans Zimmer for the soundtrack to the movie "The Gladiator." It's an excellent soundtrack.

New tunes up at the Titania MySpace page, including a really good unreleased instrumental track.

I just can't get enough Orange Yellow Red! I wish they'd get on the stick and release a cd.

The Nightmares - Bloodfeast

cool song, I like this band. Low fi garage horror-ish punk, theyll be playing here the 15th with another cool band, Deadbolt. Deadbolt is pretty weird too, but totally different, theyre like some twisted Johnny Cash/Screamn Jay/rockabilly/surf/Cramps mixup or something. They sound pretty cool tho, I cant wait to see them tho theyre on a really bad night for a show

Snow day today ... so we had the Holiday Music XM Radio channel on Direct TV all day ... we'll be sick of all that music *well* before Christmas ...

Isn't that sort of thing outlawed by the Geneva Convention, Mike? BAH HUMBUG!

Just caught David Gilmour live at Albert Hall on public tv--very nice--(with some back up from Graham Nash, Dave Crosby, and David Bowie--and a man who played alternating solos with a sax and bass sax around his neck.)

A walk down the psychedelic crazy pavers of memory lane. Some of those liquid guitar solos made the hair on the back of my neck vibrate... :)

That clip's a good example of the smoother face of Pink Floyd that I don't mind. Gilmour is a great artist. Much better than the abrasive Roger Waters stuff.

Is that Bill Clinton on sax? ;)

THANKS SANTA DTE!
listened to the first 3 and thouroughly enjoyed them. can't wait for an album to be released! unfortunately for some reason you have to be a myspace member now to download songs?!?! i think not.

good track magerette-i never really have listened to pink floyd much at all. but when i have its always been enjoyable. one of those laser light shows is on my list of thing to do before death comes a knocking.

It's a calling, CU. Some people just know their lives should be dedicated to spreading the Waze of the Gaze. :please:

Decent song, but what a soaring chorus...

"Roll Down" by Saturna

(sounds like they may be a one trick pony)

Back
Top Bottom