Votes: 8 9.5%
  • Ultima V: Warriors of Destiny

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • NWN2: Mask of the Betrayer

Votes: 3 3.6%
  • Gothic

Votes: 8 9.5%

• Total voters
Of the ones listed, I'd have to go with KotOR - as I clearly recall thinking the end-level and fight was just like I want them to be. Unique environment which exceeds the ones before, and a boss fight that's pretty easy because you're a bad ass by the time you get there. The storyline was also very satisfying and everything about the reveal worked wonders for me, at the time.

Nothing touches PS:T when it comes to game endings in my book.
When I played the game for the first time I was quite worried about the conclusion because everything that came after the ridiculously awesome dialogue with Ravel was obviously rather rushed, but thankfully the last part delivered in spades.
Story-wise and emotionally satisfying, made perfect sense, left me quite speechless for a few hours and still produces a bit of tingling sensation when I recall it :).

Strictly combat-wise, I think my favorite of the listed would be Throne of Bhaal, however with mods, most notably Ascension. It´s rather frustrating and unfair, but ultimately makes for a fitting and very memorable combat conclusion of the whole saga.

Fallout, without question.

The build up of returning a hero then being ejected by the overseer was so true to the setting and mood.

The first time I beat Fallout I got the bonus of the VD shooting the overseer before walking away. I loved that, there was so much justice in it. Where the working man doesn't just accept the authoritarian pronouncement of the Overseer but shows him with his gun the reality of the wasteland, the new world, and by doing so declares the start of a new beginning where the world isn't blindly ruled by the bureaucrats that destroyed the world the first time. A world where people will be held accountable to their actions, no longer able to hide behind their title and status.

I don't even remember the end to PS:T, I guess it didn't have the same impact on me it did for lots of you.

Hard question. As far as the actual endings go, I have my favorites. But endgame? Difficult to answer because I think RPGs are often horrendous in this area, often providing absolutely awful "end levels", often with the grand old "a million enemies that you have to beat down" design that I hate so much.

That said, Fallout is probably the clear winner here because there was a nice amount of choice on *how* I wanted to handle things. Plus the ending itself is a classic.

I also liked the MotB end-game because while there was a lot of fighting, there was good variety in the actual levels and it didn't feel as if you were stuck, treading the same mill for ages. The pace is kept fairly quick.

The actual ending of PS:T is wonderful but the parts of combat before it (which is even more soured considering how the post-leaving-Sigil game is kinda bad) were just a chore.

Ultima V is the only game on the list I don't own. I agree that all the other listed games are great but I've actually only finished KotOR, Planescape, Fallout and TW. NWN2 and BG2 as well, but not the listed expansions. Of these I think I'll pick Fallout as this was the first time I've played a game which included an end sequence with the consequences of your actions. That was cool and satisfying.
Btw: didn't David Gaiders Ascension mod rewrite the ending of BG2:ToB for the better ? (I know it may be a matter of opinion but you know what I mean ;))

It is embarassing how few of these I actually played. Too little time to play games, although its my only real hobby.
Anyway, of the ones I played, I think I would pick the Witcher here. I though the ending, including the dream-like ascent to the temple and the revelation at the end were particularly memorable, and a fitting end to a cool game.
Fallout was cool, but as I said before, I came to FO late, and it didn't wow me as much as many others who played it at the time it came out.
The ending of Gothic (as opposed to the rest of the game) I remember actually as a bit of a dissapointment. And yes I know, I really have to play Ps:T ... one of these days.

I really liked the end game of kotor

And planescape torment. Whats really weird about it is actually the unique graphics and explosions they added for it.
Actually if you want to say end GAME you have to say planescape torment theres a final maze and stuff. The pst develoopers wanted to win this award someday i think.

Im not sure I liked the endgame to fallout although it was great it didnt seem over.
Fallout is perfect in most ways but its just too short.

I did actually play jade empire all the way through and it deserves no such accolades as to even be on a list.

It just sort of ends and lets you start the game all over from the beginning using a different class.

All in all I didnt like that game at all.

Back
Top Bottom