The "I Just Bought" thread

I often see these book cases being sold on RPG-related events (like the RPC, for example, or the "Spiel International" board games/RPG/comics fair).

I guess they have a certain amount of customers among LARPers, too.

I once followed a guided tour through a university library … The guide said that with hose medieval leather-bound heavy books one could rather kill a person than the book would go kaputt. They are indestructible - almost. No-one knows leather bindings of today, but I guess the guide's right : those are gold worth in terms of stability. The only problem comes if a book's paper contains too much acid - that simple destroys the paper in the course of the decades, and that's a *uge* problem in libaries here now. That, and the so-called "Tintenfraß", the dissolving of paper through acidid ink. Many original manuscripts suffer from that (Bach, or example).

Woah, those leather cases do look yummy! Need to get an ebook reader some time, although I'm still getting by with my android phone.

I finally got Arkham Horror and had a chance to try it out at home. So far I love it! My spouse, unfortunately, wasn't too thrilled by the monster bashing, she prefers more calm trading games along the lines of San Juan or Civilization with city building and stuff. Ah well, AH can be played solo, so it's fine.

I had also ordered special, custom made dice for the game, which look absolutely gorgeous. (green = normal, red = cursed, blue = blessed). The black velvet monster bag I got well in advance from a medieval summer faire, it still has a nice smell from all the bonfires.

Attachments

• IMG_20111127_142248.jpg
    IMG_20111127_142248.jpg
    227.1 KB · Views: 152
  • IMG_20111127_142319.jpg
    IMG_20111127_142319.jpg
    156.6 KB · Views: 148
  • IMG_20111127_142629.jpg
    IMG_20111127_142629.jpg
    269.7 KB · Views: 148
Woah, those leather cases do look yummy! Need to get an ebook reader some time, although I'm still getting by with my android phone.

Definitely advantages to reading on a phone or tablet (Android or iOS): you get *every* store, you don't spend money on a specialized unit, and so on.

But at the same time, it has been shown that LCD screens cause more eye strain than reading 'normal' books, whereas the E-Ink screens of readers do not. Also, for me getting a dedicated ereader (nook Touch) meant doing nothing but reading - and I read more as a result!

As for the Kindle Fire, that is tougher to recommend - if you are heavily into the Amazon ecosystem, like the 7" size, and don't plan to be heavily dependent on it as a full-scale tablet, it works. Otherwise, look elsewhere.

Yeah, I'm a fan of open formats and the like, so I'm not sure if the Kindle, or any Kindle for that matter, is for me. But I'm also not in a rush to buy a real reader yet (as opposed to my phone), as I still have other things on my list of priorities.

Thanks for the input, though. Relaxed reading will be my main reason for getting one, eventually.

As for the Kindle Fire, that is tougher to recommend - if you are heavily into the Amazon ecosystem, like the 7" size, and don't plan to be heavily dependent on it as a full-scale tablet, it works. Otherwise, look elsewhere.

Yeah, I took a good look at the Fire when it was first released, but that 7" screen definitely kills it for me.

Yeah, I took a good look at the Fire when it was first released, but that 7" screen definitely kills it for me.

The screen itself is better than just about 7" Android tablet I've used (but haven't touched the new Galaxy Tab 7 Plus yet), but the size is definitely a matter of taste.

For me, the iPad is the perfect size where I use it as a laptop replacement for ~80% of my stuff. The Fire is just an extra thing that sits between my Droid Pro phone, iPod Touch for music and games, and iPad ...

Jess just got a Kindle "fire" and loves it, never puts the thing down. It's almost like a small tablet pc, now with all the color and browsing, music, etc it does. I'm still on the Kindle Mark II, but I have a feeling I may be getting a Fire for xmas since I've been kinda checking hers out lately...

Got a Kobo Vox for the wife on her birthday, after a few days of trying to figure out how to use the damn thing, now she loves it. The first few days, I really thought it would wind up bouncing off a wall, but now she hardly puts it down!! I had planned on getting her the Kindle Fire but with all the stuff blocked for Canadians, I went with the Kobo.

-Carn

After too many bluescreens it was finally time for a PC upgrade. Luckily I was able to keep most of my old hardware, so I bought an Intel i5 2500 (3.3Ghz quad-core), a Gigabyte Z68 motherboard, and 8GB ram (which is crazy cheap now btw).

A pair of khaki's, some Gucci loafers, an LV scarf and a white Lacoste Polo (picture of which you can see in my profile pic)

Just bought another book of Lovecraft's. The famous Necronomicon ! :D

P9140008.jpg

Just tell me if there's any other book of Lovecraft that I missed without knowing, please.

I NEED to enhance my dreams and nightmares and start writing MORE of it! :D

That is a rather lacking compilation of Lovecraft stories and one I've warned several people against in the past. For any self-respecting Lovecraft fan, I strongly suggest the complete omnibus series that come in three books and contains absolutely any story HPL has ever written.

Book 1, Book 2, Book 3.

The second book also includes his essay on horror literature. Beautiful cover art and quality cover textures to boot.

The Alien Quadrilogy DVD set.

It's kind of hard to find in retail now, so I had to go the Ebay route. Seeing that trailer for Prometheus made me want to watch the entire franchise again.

Attachments

• 20120214_165032.jpg
    20120214_165032.jpg
    197.2 KB · Views: 19
New acquirements!

The Last Story(Wii) - I contacted the local Greek Nintendo publisher to hold a copy for me, because I had a seminar for my sport, Kendo, and it was the chance to get it from near. I got it the day before the release day.

Sega Mega Drive 2 - For retro collecting. ^^

Deus Ex: Human Revolution. 50% off on steam yesterday, seemed to nice to pass up..

GalCiv 2 Ultimate Edition. One of my favorite games ever. Already bought it once on Impulse, but i really HATE having my games spread out on Steam, Impulse and hmm whatever that other client is called.

Total War: Shogun 2. Not sure i'm ever going to play this. Stupid impulse buy, i do that far too often with games.

SEAGATE FreeAgent GoFlex 1,5TB HDD black (since My WD Passport has started clicking, better backup that drive quickly :/ )

Dreamfall: The longest Journey, UK Limited edition (£4+postage, advertised as being used but in a very good condition). I already own Dreamfall, and think that it is an excellent game, but the 100page artbook & soundtrack CD (and this is why the UK limited edition is the one to get, as it comes with a complete soundtrack CD) sounded too good to pass up on.
It also comes with the original game (again UK version only), which I also already own.

That is a rather lacking compilation of Lovecraft stories and one I've warned several people against in the past. For any self-respecting Lovecraft fan, I strongly suggest the complete omnibus series that come in three books and contains absolutely any story HPL has ever written.

Book 1, Book 2, Book 3.

The second book also includes his essay on horror literature. Beautiful cover art and quality cover textures to boot.

Well, I see that it includes those I already have from this book as described.

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/bar...lassics-hp-lovecraft-h-p-lovecraft/1106658815
144087584.JPG

:)

He has ALL his stories in this huge book. They're the 3 above books you described as a total book. The cover is well made, and its outlines from the pages are gold coloured. I was lucky to find it in a local and serious bookstore for 50 euros.

Just ordered the Wacom Intuos 5 Touch :)
in5-big.png

will hopefully force me to do something creative (a nice side effect when spending a bit of money). Been using the Intuos 2 since it was released many years ago, been very happy with that purchase.

I like HP Lovecraft quite a bit but sometimes he goes on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on .......

Just got World of Goo for my phone finally. Looks like a very good timewaster.

Back
Top Bottom