Tech help for Arx Fatalis?

Jinksy

Watcher
Hi all,

Someone (CM) on rpgdot said I might be able to get help getting AF to run here. I found what seems to be the last retail copy available in England... but it won't install. Once the installation process reaches a file called speech.pak, it just hangs. The progress bar actually reaches 'completion', but the installation doesn't end, and nothing further happens.

CM suggested I try disabling antivirus software and the autorun, and using the install file from the CD, but that I had the same error. He also thought other software from JoWood might be conflicting with it, but I tried installing it on a fresh laptop and nothing changed. The store I got it from say there aren't any other copies that they could order in, so I'd really love to find a way to get it to work...

Odd. Mine installed without a problem. Then again I have no active virus protection. Certainly that is worth a shot.

I never had a problem either, but apparently it *does* happen ... here are some links:

Dark_Anubis
30-08-2003, 12:51
Hello,

thus, I have the following problem: If I want to install Arx Fatalis on my XP-system (, I have administrator rights) come to the end (the installation is actually already final to 100%) the message “the file Speech.pak could am not found” what am the hot? Those was nevertheless already installed by that CD. I can still add Dx.diag, but the nose is well-known and I perhaps needs that no longer.

Does someone know advice??

Greetings,
Dark_Anubis
punkadelic
03-09-2003, 16:36
Rear one,

someone with nem similar problem had it, because its CD was zerkratzt, and could with the fact make do that it did not set the read/access optimization for CD-ROM of “Quad speed with “capability characteristics” or more highly” on “a read optimization” - then everything was read and found.

… is ne vague hope, but try lasts ned so long:)

Greetings,
PunkaDelic

Jowood thread & FAQ

Hi Jinksy, hope these guys here can help you more then I did. We have some smart people on this forum. ;) Glad you followed my advice to ask here.

Will it install on another computer, i.e. friends or at work?
If so then we can focus on why it won't on your machine.

If you can't try it on another machine then we need to know a little more about your system like Dvd player, motherboard (plus chipset i.e. is it Via, SIS and some others require special driver updates), current Directx version (have your tried to reinstall dx9 lately?), available space on your harddrive and your operating system.

Also you could try installing it in Win98 compatablity mode. :)

Just to be sure: have you tried running it anyway after the crashed installation procedure? If so, what is the error message given?

Failing all that, there's always the option of... acquiring it using other means. I mean, if you bought it legally, you deserve to play it, even if the actual CD is faulty.

:)

Will it install on another computer, i.e. friends or at work?
If so then we can focus on why it won't on your machine.

If you can't try it on another machine then we need to know a little more about your system like Dvd player, motherboard (plus chipset i.e. is it Via, SIS and some others require special driver updates), current Directx version (have your tried to reinstall dx9 lately?), available space on your harddrive and your operating system.

Also you could try installing it in Win98 compatablity mode. :)

I tried it on the new lappy 586 downstairs, and the same thing happened. The only minor difference was that rather than hanging indefinitely, it hung for a long time and then came up with an error message.

MasterLich: that's not an option. When it hangs, the only way to exit the window is to cancel (and hence undo) the whole installation. There's nothing to try running.

VPeric, I wouldn't mind trying something like that, but I've got a couple of CD images from Underdogs, and it's a nightmare trying to figure out what to do with them. Unless someone's willing to talk me through the whole procedure, I don't think I'd get far...

Did any of these install attemps include trying to install by setting the cmpablity tab to Win98 for the setup.exe and clicking on it directly?

So are there any things the two systems have in common OS, directx version, Dvd players, video cards (actually it sounds like you could have an ATI in the laptop, since it seem to reset itself) and sound card.
What about Zone Alarm?
If so you need to go in and block the Arx.exe access to internet and system functions.

We need more info man! ;)

I don't remember properly but I think that I also had some troubles installing Arx Fatalis (the german version). In the official forums they suggest to uninstall programs like Daemon Tools, CD Emulations, CloneCD Tray Tools, GameJack, Firewalls, Virus Protection (e.g. F-Secure, Norton) etc.. Do you use Nero or something like that? I remember that I had to uninstall Nero too one time but I don't know if that was the case with Arx Fatalis or another JoWooD game. Not much of a help? At least I tried ; - )

Back
Top Bottom