Skyrim Taverns in Skyrim

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

yllaettaevaet

Sentinel
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Hmmm, don't know if I have visited all taverns yet, but: Do they all look the same? A bar, a fireplace in the middle, some chairs and tables, some rooms, and: not very crowded at all? I visited the one in Whiterun at 11pm, just 3 people in there...

No life in taverns?

Im afraid you will have to wait for a mod if you were hoping to pickup a few wenches or join a tavern brawl.
Most of the taverns ive seen seem to follow 1 of 4 layouts and have the standard bartender, bard, serving wench and 2-3 npc's who may or may not have a quest.
Guessing people get sick of the bard playing the same two songs over and over again.

You haven't met some of the more interesting random encounters in the taverns I take it. I don't know if there is more than this one guy I found, but this one turned out to be a doozy. Great sidequest.

As for the layout, ehhh I don't care. It's the patrons that interest me :) I'm hoping there will be more interesting patrons that you can encounter like the one I have. Other than that I think they are where you pick up your misc quests.

Drinking contest, anyone? ;)

Most of them seem to have fairly similar layouts, but that's not really that unrealistic. I've noticed quite a lot of the population piles in them in the evenings, and every now and then you'll get a barmaid telling you that the other one in town is better, so there's a bit of character there. Yeah, a bit more variety wouldn't hurt, but I'm fine with them as they are.

Speaking of character in the NPCs, it shocked the hell out of me when the townsfolk gathered around a dragon we just slain and started talking about it.

I know it's not a big deal, but it's little touches like that that bring the world to life. At least for me it does.

Oh and yes, definitely the drinking contest ;)

Yeah, I've had quite a few guards and lucky survivors comment on dragon attacks. Far, far better than them just walking past the suddenly skeletonised corpse and rambling on about mudcrabs to their friends.

My favorite comment so far was something like "You… you just absorbed its soul!", with a slight tinge of terror to it.

That's another thing, the quality in the voice acting has been ramped up. Beth actually decided to hire some talented people this time around. Even the everday NPCs are decent.

Ok, enough talking about it. I'm going back in :)

I know that the bar near the gate in Whiterun didn't have many people but the one at the other end had up to 10 or so people. I got into 2 bar brawls and stole a bottle of alcohol for a drunk.

Seems i had just been unlucky when choosing taverns and thus got the wrong idea about them being a neglected part of the game.
In the past day or so i have been woken up by a ghost chasing the barmaid around, been kidnapped, awoken by yet another ghost and went on the drinking binge of the century after what started as a friendly drinking contest.
They might not be very lively but there are some truly great quests to be found around the various taverns.

The indoors of stores, bars and inns look different in the major cities... the smaller towns and stuff though seem to use those templates over and over. Hard to complain about that, considering the huge number of places.

That quest where you get in a drinking contest, then get to go clean up a temple after you soiled it.....yeah, some nice twists in that one. Quest rewards seem kinda weak to me, compared to what you can find off easy nameds just sitting out in the wilderness waiting to be sniped by a Draeda bow from 5 clicks away =p

-Carn

Yes im not really sure how i feel about the fact that nothing you can find anywhere ingame is better then what you can craft/enchant for your self.
Even daedric artifacts are relatively useless apart from staves wich seems to be the only exeption.
I stopped bothering with loot alltogether after hitting 50k as there is nothing to spend it on and having to visit 10 different shops to unload your inventory is just plain silly.

Once I realized how powerful my own crafted armor was, I completely stopped caring about digging up loot. I just use it to sell/disenchant. As you say, even the Daedric stuff is useless compared to heavily enchanted dragon stuff.

I've not seen too many daedric artefacts yet, but they do seem to be a bit underwhelming. Yeah, they shouldn't be gamebreakers, but they should still be better than almost anything you can slap together.

I think a paid of feather boots is the only loot I've found that I'm actually using. Everything else is homemade.

I haven't had a problem with quest rewards yet. Everything I get seems to be fairly decent. My Daedric artifact which summons a Dremora is especially great, and probably my most prized possession thus far. I do have entirely too much money already. I'm up around 20k and have nothing really to spend it on. Seems as though gold is already starting to lose it's meaning to my character.

Taverns are cool in Skyrim because you can always expect to meet interesting people or find interesting quests. Or if you're tired of your companion, you can always hire someone new. I do wish the taverns were a pinch more lively though, but that's to be expected based on the hardware limits. Maybe on the next game system there will be room for even more NPCs. I hope so.

I have no money and never seem to have much. I'm always hovering between 1k and 3k. I can't even afford a house. I'm already level 17. Where are you finding these cash fountains?

I just do sidequests which lead me to ruins and forts and stuff, and I always take the enemy's loot, even if it's just fur armor, or hide armor, etc. It's only worth 50 a piece but it adds up. Usually in every place I visit there's a chest at the end that has some powerful scroll in it, a magical staff, a nice Dwarven shield, some gold and a few soul gems or something. That stuff all gets sold. Then I create potions and sell the ones I don't need. I think I've made a fortune selling potions, because at times I will have gathered enough ingredients to make like 15-20 of a certain type of potion, so I make as many as I can and then sell them. It all adds up.

I dunno, it was pretty easy to build up that much money and still afford Breezehome. Just do more quests and make sure to loot your enemies well. I *wish* I would hover around 1k-3k, it would make buying and selling much more important. Right now it's basically lost it's importance in my game.

There seems to be some strange tipping point where you suddenly have loads of cash. I know I went from having only enough to buy a few spells at a time to having loads of spare cash. It doesn't feel like I'm finding that much more loot, but apparently I am! :p

Of course, having a spouse bringing in some extra cash doesn't hurt.

Level 33 and have around 6 thousand gold. I could have more if I grinded and made many trips to the same dungeon to get all the loot or if I started making potions up the wazoo and traveling to the different shops to sell them. If I spent an hour or so just doing that then I would have all the gold I could ever want.

As it is now I'm just using the gold to buy ingredients for my potions, some spellbooks and I'm saving up for an expert destruction robe.

In any event, now that I'm level 34 I'm finding all kinds of high quality weapons. Sell a few of those things and I have more money than the shopkeeper has.

Well the economy of this game was fun while it lasted. Level 1 - late 20s was great, now…not so much.

Back
Top Bottom