Might & Magic X - Previews

Uncanny valley. It looks like the games you know, and then it doesn't. *sniff* :)

I enjoyed both types of M&M games, in different ways. But I'm not going to write off an instalment that is explicitly trying to get back to the franchise roots because it uses a gameplay model that, well, goes back to the franchise roots.

It does sound like the scale is a bit smaller, though — 25 hours? Then again, I'm a lot older now and I have a job, so I don't really have time to map out every world map square by hand the way I did for MMI.

Yep, was also wondering. Then again I played Grimrock for 22h and it felt like it was already too long by 10h. That doesn't mean that I don't enjoy 100h+ games, but maybe they just want to restart small with having Grimrock in mind.
I don't mind that much as long as the price does not exceed 20€-30€ in this case. And even if it is short, maybe you can take your characters over to the next games and continue the story like it was often done in the good old days (think Realms of Arkania, Ishar, EoB).
I think a change to 25h of gametime can mean two things:
1. They want to go the FPS way and try to sell 5-10h of gameplay for a ridiculus amount of money.
2. They want to restart small and check if there is a market. And maybe we see somewhat episodic follow ups after that, or DLCs expanding the game or maybe the next game will be a "full sized" 50h+ game again if everything works out well.

I just hope for the 2nd, and as long as they are within my rule of thumb to not wanting more than 1€ per 1h of good gameplay I am fine with it.

Neither am I. Why should there be turns in your movement outside of combat? This seems more like a Heroes game rather than like any of the Might and Magic games. I don't like it for that fact alone. I can't stand what seems to be stutters as you are trying to move. Until they pull that feature and make like all the other MM games, I am not interested.

You seem a strange one. Following your argumentation, why should there be turns in your movement (or anything else) IN combat? My FPS player friends tend to get upset by that in RPGs, too!

For more information on the game itself, you might find this link I gleaned from the Codex to be insightful:

http://www.reddit.com/r/MightAndMagic/comments/1avd30/so_any_preview_of_pax_for_mm_legacy/

Video looks awesome, I'm totally sold. I also prefer the step movement of the first 5 M&Ms than the last ones.

It really has a distinct M&M feel. ^^

Cool enough. I guess I spent endless time on Might and Magic III-V, Isles of Terra and World of Xeen, with Xeen being my fav. God, I played Xeen prolly a dozen times. It has a remnicent of it. Which I like to see. And WOOT for turn based party combat! :D

Nice link to Reddit, thanks

However, I'm sure I am not the only person who prefers free roam. You don't have to be a FPS addict to prefer the Elder Scrolls. Or Gothic for that matter. Or Baldurs gate.
Might and magic 6 thru 8 were the best in my book. & 7 was tops for me. I'm sure many would argue that. To each his own. I liked how Wizard and Warriors handled movement.
I just don't feel I'm missing anything by not being limited in movement until I come to an encounter. Thats my opinion. You are entitled to yours.

The page where the video is hosted has pictures of a semi-naked anime girl flanking the sides. Very annoying.

So here's the YouTube equivalent instead.

The Reddit thread was very informative, thanks for that Moorkh! All in all, the game looks very promising. I am very pleased with how things are shaping up!

It is pretty weird seeing a major studio doing a AAA release with a target audience of . . . . well, us basically. I wouldn't have thought we were a big enough market, not complaining though.

Well, Ubisoft does have same good IPs but they seem to be advocates of publishing to multiple platforms. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing because more people enjoying a game is always a positive. But "dumbing-down" certain aspects (UI, controls, core gameplay) MAY occur.

Let's hope they realize that a large number of the player-base is intelligent enough to play and enjoy the classic game styles. This might spur them on to develop games in a similar vein.

Well, Ubisoft does have same good IPs but they seem to be advocates of publishing to multiple platforms. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing because more people enjoying a game is always a positive. But "dumbing-down" certain aspects (UI, controls, core gameplay) MAY occur.

Let's hope they realize that a large number of the player-base is intelligent enough to play and enjoy the classic game styles. This might spur them on to develop games in a similar vein.

Seems to me that a turn & step based first person party game would be rather easy to adapt to tablets without losing much at all. There's nothing that requires fine degrees of mouse control in this type of game and movement is easily done using an on screen arrow block, which the interface of M&M already has. Also this type of game doesn't make heavy requirements on hardware.

I agree. Many games are ideal for tablets. Just so long that PCs get the games as well :)

I don't think that tablets were ever much of an danger for turn based RPGs. Consoles with their controllers on the other hand...

I also dislike the step-based movement outside of combat… that dungeon footage looked too much like Grimrock for my tastes. Grimrock was a decent game for what it set out to do, but I expect more from an M&M game.

Training skills on the fly without need of a trainer hints at further "streamling" in the game as well.

I also dislike the step-based movement outside of combat… that dungeon footage looked too much like Grimrock for my tastes. Grimrock was a decent game for what it set out to do, but I expect more from an M&M game.

Training skills on the fly without need of a trainer hints at further "streamling" in the game as well.

What exactly do you mean with the dungeon footage looking too much like grimrock?

Color me impressed with the video. Though this is Ubisoft. I expect draconian DRM viruses, outright fraud, and a complete lack of quality.

If it shows up on GoG, virus-free, I'll buy it. It'll be the first Ubisoft purchase in a long time.

The page where the video is hosted has pictures of a semi-naked anime girl flanking the sides. Very annoying.

So here's the YouTube equivalent instead.

The Reddit thread was very informative, thanks for that Moorkh! All in all, the game looks very promising. I am very pleased with how things are shaping up!

Heehee! You know, this seems to be a google ad - everyone gets to see what Google decides fits their profile. I for one get to see an eve online ad. You, however.... :D

Heehee! You know, this seems to be a google ad - everyone gets to see what Google decides fits their profile. I for one get to see an eve online ad. You, however…. :D
Makes me wonder what I did to deserve an ad from an insurance company…

Back
Top Bottom