Dark Souls II - Early Access Armour & Weapons

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Namco Bandai has sent out a new press release for Dark Souls II that contains information about a new Black Armour Weapons Pack.

NAMCO BANDAI GAMES EUROPE ENHANCES ITS LIMITED BLACK ARMOUR AND COLLECTOR’S EDITIONS WITH EARLY ACCESS TO BLACK ARMOUR WEAPONS PACK

PARIS, FRANCE – 12th February 2014 – Leading video game developer and publisher NAMCO BANDAI Games Europe S.A.S. announced today that fans who pre-order the DARK SOULS™ II Black Armour Edition or the DARK SOULS II Collector’s Edition will receive an exclusive voucher allowing players to unlock early use of weapons contained in the Black Armour Weapons Pack . These inventory items will help players as they begin their journey to the sequel of what many critics and gamers call one of the most challenging experiences in video game history. Coming in Europe and Australasia on March 14, 2014 for the PlayStation®3 computer entertainment system, Xbox 360 games and entertainment system from Microsoft and shorty after for PC. DARK SOULS II will top all fans’ expectations with two exclusive editions and never-before-seen challenges!

The DARK SOULS II Collector’s Edition will feature a premium quality Warrior Knight figurine, an exclusive hardbound art-book filled with stunning images coming out of the talented artists’ minds at FromSoftware and a sizable full-colour fabric map of the DARK SOULS II game world.

On top of this exclusive offer, survivors who pre-ordered the game will instantly have access to the Black Armour Edition. This Pre-Order offer contains a metal case, the game disc and the official game soundtrack.

To reward fans who pre-order the DARK SOULS II Black Armour Edition and DARK SOULS II Collector’s editions, FromSoftware has made 5 weapon packs available for early access at the beginning of the game. Discover the five set of items of the early access Weapons Pack:

Black Flamestone Dagger and Black Flamestone Parma – A dagger and shield encrusted in Black Flamestone both found in the Gutter at Black Gulch. Even though they are heavier than a normal dagger and shield, the Flamestone crystal’s unique properties make the dagger extremely sharp and give the shield high resistance to damage.

Yellow Quartz Long Sword and Yellow Quartz Shield – A straight sword and small shield hardened with yellow quartz both uncovered at the bottom of the Iron Keep. Even though these items can break easily due to their high level of corrosion, they are exceptionally light and their power to inflict damage has not declined.

Bound Hand Axe and Bound Wooden Shield – A brutal hand axe and shield found in the Undead Purgatory. Both items are wrapped in chains and thorns to cause additional bleeding on enemies. Both the axe and shield have diminished in overall slashing power but their ability to deliver pain has been deliberately increased.

Homunculus Mace and Homunculus Wooden Shield – A mace and shield with spherical protrusions found in Aldia’s Keep. Although heavier than normal maces and shields, the hard protrusions greatly increase the striking power of the mace as well as the shield’s defensive capabilities.

Transgressor’s Staff and Transgressor’s Leather Shield – A staff and leather shield entwined with an unknown and seemingly lackluster element; these items are found in the Dark Chasm of Old. They have become a catalyst for sorcery and hex and cause an effect known as Darkness.

The Black Armour Edition and its rewards are also included in the very exclusive Collector’s Edition! In order to guarantee one of these versions, customers will need to pre-order as they are limited!
More information.

I am not sure if I would want higher level gear early in the game. In the first Dark Souls, getting the Drake Sword threw off the balance and made the first part of the game a lot easier, maybe too easy - a phrase you don't often hear tossed around regarding Dark Souls.

I'm pretty sure I read, like weapons, you are going to need to match certain criteria with your stats before you can wear some armour. i.e. you will need 32 strength before you can wear the Elite Knight set. So whilst you may have access to it it doesn't exactly mean you can wear it yet.

Did anyone else read that or did I dream it?

I'm pretty sure I read, like weapons, you are going to need to match certain criteria with your stats before you can wear some armour. i.e. you will need 32 strength before you can wear the Elite Knight set. So whilst you may have access to it it doesn't exactly mean you can wear it yet.

Did anyone else read that or did I dream it?

Yeah, I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that the heavy armour, like Black Iron or Giants, the ones that lower your stamina regen, now have a strength requirement like greatshields. Great armour, great shield.

I don't think Elite Knight Armour would have a requirement since it's more of a medium armor set.

VaatiVidya says "Some of the stronger" armors.

He is also one of the huge fanboys of #1 that has played some of the final version of #2 and seems to like it quite a bit. Puts my mind a bit at ease at this point. I haven't seen any of his lore videos but I think he has a firm grasp of #1 (and probably has put way more time on it than my 130 or so hours across two playthroughs ;) ) so I expect that the core of the game at least looks intact…

Generally speaking I do expect a different game for #2. I think it was obvious even from the first big batch of screens Namco released a few weeks ago. A bit lighter in tone and mood (perhaps) a bit more exposition and a bit more accommodating in easing new players in (*). The rest should just be Dark Souls ;) (I have also spoiled myself a bit with Vaati's early impressions and things sound quite good).

The only stuff I've heard and don't like are things like early warping and the soul respecc item and being allowed to level up only on one place/NPC. But the first two at least can be ignored (mostly, you will have to warp to lvl up of course) even more easily than that silly "early access" preorder bonus :rolleyes: (at least we can be thankfull that they haven't done anything as dumb as exclusive ;) )

(* I actually suspect/hope a Gothic 1 to Gothic 2 sort of transition: A more unique in setting tone and atmosphere game to an almost equally atmospheric but a bit lighter and at places a tiny bit more streamlined, but generally more polished, competently made and meaty game. If we are talking g2 + NOTR that is. I would be perfectly fine with that :) Now lets wait and see…)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom