Jade Empire - Review @ 1Up

Dhruin

SasqWatch
1Up is next to review Jade Empire: Special Edition. Commenting that " Compelling narrative and crippled combat make Jade Empire a case of form over function", the score is 7/10:
As in KOTOR, most of your problems get solved through either conversation or combat. The former is where Jade's attention to detail comes in -- as you wander from place to place and clear objectives from your quest log, you meet dozens of people, most of whom have a lot to say to you. It doesn't take long to get a sense of the time and attention put into the game's atmosphere and dialogue; once you get over the amusing irony of Jade's heavy reliance on Western accents, it's easy to appreciate the detail that went into the various plot threads. Most of your dialogue responses amount to "good" and "evil" choices, but unlike in KOTOR, these are framed more as differing-but-equally-valid philosophies (Way of the Open Palm/Way of the Closed Fist) and less as hard-and-fast moral beliefs, though they do dictate your martial options to some extent.
Thanks, Role-player!
In related news, you can now pre-load JE from BioWare's online store.
More information.

You're welcome :)

Too bad the review is rather short and doesn't go into detail about several of the game's elements.

Well, I think that if you really want to learn about the game, there are plenty of 4-pager reviews of the XBOX version ... just take out the gushing and 9.9's and insert the more grounded text and 8.0's ...

I've actually pre-ordered it so I'll learn about the game sooner or later :) I just wish the more centralized sources of information actually spent a little more time "dissecting" the game so as to players get a better feel of things. But then again - and I understand this is a generalization of sorts - most gamers who go to those sites are more interested in final scores than the actual review. But 1UP's review is short even by the standard reviews for these sites.

Back
Top Bottom