Torment:ToN - Free to Try Weekend

Eh, I'm afraid Numenera is beyond repair. It's probably better to get W2 Director's Cut.

I loved the game.
Sure it was like reading a book, but it was a good book.

I loved the game.
Sure it was like reading a book, but it was a good book.

Can you summarize the moral of the story, I dont think I can go through a game with that much text. Put it in spoilers so people dont accidently read it.

Torment: Tides of Numenera is the best game I have played in the last few years. I actually enjoyed it more than Divinity Original Sin, Pillars and WL2. I am highly surprised I enjoyed it so much given some of the negative posts about it I have read. It is a very demanding game that requires a lot of reading and not everything will make sense in the early game. However it all comes together nicely midway through the game and you can see how all the little stories combine to form an epic story which is right up there the story of Torment planescape. The various castoffs you meet are complex characters who can't be easily classified as good or evil. In fact through some of the Mere's you start to understand some of the tough decisions they had to make and what drives the changing god.

I found the combat reasonably well balanced but I was playing as a skill focused nano. Someone speccing for combat would probably find the fights a bit easy.

Had a great time with this game and one of my favorites of the year.

Imho the story was well written, but not my taste.

And the combat was like the rest of the game mechanics: Not well worked out and in addition completely and utterly pointless because they don't have any consequences.

Solution A: Fight in Combat and Win: You convinced them that you are the messiah.
Solution B: Fight in Combat and Lose: You cannot die. So you stand up again. Opponents are impressend and now convinced that you are the messiah.

This basically sums up pretty much the whole game and it's decisions.

Not a bad game. But more like a "chose your own adventure" without mechanics and where, no matter which choices you pick, you will finish the game. The difference is just the decisions and the path you pick. But there is no feeling of accomplishment or anything similar.

It would be interesting if it was possible to poll everyone who played it and find out if they are also people who read books on Kindle regularly. My guess would be:

Kindle fans = happy
Never touched a Kindle = meh to mad as all hell

I'd be your statistical outlier I guess. I've never touched a kindle or ebook and I loved the game.

I'd be your statistical outlier I guess. I've never touched a kindle or ebook and I loved the game.
I also liked the game, and have never read any sort of e-book, I don't even read regular books anymore. I'd say it's the best game I've played in the last year or two (but I haven't played D:OS2 yet, which is likely to take over that title…) Could have used more combat and higher difficulty though.

Not me. Never read a complete book on my Fire Tablet (which functions like a Kindle in many ways). I like reading a good book that I can hold in my hand.

But I prefer text in general so don't have issues with it in-game as long as I enjoy the writing, which I did in this game.

Not me. Never read a complete book on my Fire Tablet (which functions like a Kindle in many ways). I like reading a good book that I can hold in my hand.

But I prefer text in general so don't have issues with it in-game as long as I enjoy the writing, which I did in this game.

Yes, jokes aside, that was the point I was making. If you don't mind a huge amount of text in your video entertainment product then TToN wouldn't deter you. If you don't mind a huge amount of text and not a lot else then TToN wouldn't deter you. If you don't mind a huge amount of text and not a lot else and the text is in a genre and style you like then TToN would likely be right up your alley.

The difference is just the decisions and the path you pick. But there is no feeling of accomplishment or anything similar.

I would argue that you are looking for a significant in game event to justify your decision and there are less of those in Torment due to the sheer amount of possible choices and flow on complexity it would cause. In Torment it is more a sentence of text might be different further in the story. The sentence however could have significant context in terms of the overall story. The Brucca mere would be an example of something where you can change the meaning of a later encounter significantly depending on which path you go down in the mere.

Having said that there are decisions in Torment which have more significant outcomes in the game i.e. with Rhin :
In the bloom you have a choice to send her through time so she can be happy and if you choose this option she will come back later in the game as an adult version of herself. You can do the same thing back in sagus cliffs except she won't come back later to help you. Or you can convince her to stay in your party and things just continue as normal.

Eh, I'm afraid Numenera is beyond repair. It's probably better to get W2 Director's Cut.

W2 is an unplayable trainwreck. At least Numenera has a cute GUI, but just looking at Customer Anger on Steam… sigh. Remember, how the idiot designers were boasting, how many tonnes of lines of writing Numenera has? Then how it turned out.

W2 is an unplayable trainwreck.

In your opinion obviously. Reviews in general would disagree with you. Personally I thought it was a excellent and one of the best games I have played recently.

I enjoyed T: ToN well enough, but they could have just skipped the Torment thing. PST: EE was released a few months after T: ToN, and I enjoyed that a whole lot more, despite having already played the original quite a few times over the years.

Back
Top Bottom