Dishonored - Review Roundup

The description of its RPGness is basically the same you would say from any adventure game, or action game, or anything with a well developed story pretty much. Basically that you 'feel about the characters in the game'.

That builds on the confusion between narrative games and RPGs.

How deep the player gets involved in a game through the story is a quality marker for a narrative game, not for a RPG.

Stories are not the main in a RPG, situations are.

Dont know why people hang so much on reviews since most players will buy the game anyway. Most of the times, players look for reviews that would fit the required perception they would need to justify the purchase. So big chances is that they will be reviews that provide enough of a justication somewhere around to help a buyer decide over what is already decided.

That builds on the confusion between narrative games and RPGs.

How deep the player gets involved in a game through the story is a quality marker for a narrative game, not for a RPG.

Stories are not the main in a RPG, situations are.

Not this again. Story is essential to an rpg. Otherwise your just playing in a sandbox with your imagination. I play all my rpg's for story without it games lose my interest.

It doesn't need voice overs and cutscenes. Just a good plot and memorable npc's. Just like the Baldur's Gate series.

If stories were essential to RPG, RPG could not happen without stories, which they do.

Role playing requires situations to exist. You wont find any RPG without situations to sit the roleplaying act on. But RPGs without stories, a lot of them. Training role playing, health care role playing games all come with no story to them, only situations...

The way a game is played does not make what the game is.

Games can be played for their graphics. And what?

If stories were essential to RPG, RPG could not happen without stories, which they do.

Role playing requires situations to exist. You wont find any RPG without situations to sit the roleplaying act on. But RPGs without stories, a lot of them. Training role playing, health care role playing games all come with no story to them, only situations…

The way a game is played does not make what the game is.

Games can be played for their graphics. And what?

I'm sorry you lost me. I cant make sense of what you saying. What do graphics have to do with story? What do training games have to do with rpg's also? Are you implying there rpg's and not sim games and education tools?

Last edited:
I'm sorry you lost me. I cant make sense of what you saying. What do graphics have to do with story? What do training games have to do with rpg's also? Are you implying there rpg's and not sim games and eduvcation tools?
I play all my rpg's for story without it games lose my interest.

What do graphics have to do with story?

One can play all of one's RPGs for graphics, without them, games lose one's interest.

That is what it meant. Player playing RPGs for stories are no different from players playing RPGs for graphics.

Educational tools or sim games? Now the question is what does it have to do here? Educational tool, that is a purpose. RPGs can have fun, health treatment, training purposes etc Does not change they are RPGs.

A number of players love to think that playing survival games etc fit an educational purpose in teaching them how to behave in a survival disaster etc

Conspiratorial or not,i cannot believe how the review scores for Fallout 3 were considerably better than those of Fallout New Vegas.To me there is no comparison between the two games.
Also i do not hold Oblivion in such a high esteem as almost all professional reviewers
have done.I would never rate this game higher than 8,being ruined by the level scaling and some other design choices.

No comparison? They used all the same assets. of course they were comparable, but in obsidions case they got to focus on story instead of engine building etc.

Good idea. ;) Scores never have been my priority. If you've already read the interviews and watched the gameplay trailers of Dishonored and If you know what you want and what kind of game you like to play you should buy this game immediately whether it's received overwhelmingly high scores or vice versa.
Very true. In fact, this game has been on my radar for a while and I liked the interviews with the developers, gameworld and gameplay descriptions. I basically only need player confirmation that it isn't just all hype.

I don't know. "Hunted" was at least hyped enough to get me interested. Dishonored seems however much more hyped, although I think a lot of that stems from prospecitve players who (*cough, cough* like me) expect something like the second coming. You know, that first video sure is eeriie and tempting.
I was curious to know if there were some similarities. With Dishonored, it seems that they have invested a lot in marketing and are aiming very high, at least according to how I perceive it. With all these pre-release reviews, I t is just hard for me to believe that the publisher would let this one "slip through their fingers".

pibbur who can think of several things to do with drunken people
Better not go there lest you be banned from the forums ;).

pibbur who can think of several things to do with drunken people

Better not go there lest you be banned from the forums ;).

Oh, I'd just feed them to rats, or cats and slash their throatses with whatever unsnharp device I had access to. And just in case - take their ring(s). Nothing serious like spamming them or calling them n00bs.

pibbur who has been drunk once and didn't like it.

She really must have had an ugly mug scaring you to death when you woke up that morning after which you vowed: NEVER AGAIN!!! ;)

Well, eh...

Actually, marrying the wife is still the wisest thing I've ever done. Even after 34 years.

pibbur who sometimes is happy that the wife don't visit the Watch. His two daughter do, however. Occasionally, which might be a problem OTOH they both think he's (pleasantly) weird, so he might just get away with things

A lot of people seem to be holding off buying Dishonored so far, and I think releasing it the same day as XCOM was a big mistake.

Top sellers for the last week on Steam. Dishonored isn't even in the top ten.
http://www.ggmania.com/?smsid=33826

1.XCOM: Enemy Unknown
2.Borderlands 2
3.Torchlight II
4.The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - Dawnguard
5.The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
6.Counter-Strike: Global Offensive
7.Darksiders II: Death Lives
8.The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - Hearthfire
9.Arma II: Combined Operations
10.War of the Roses

To be fair, however, that lists corresponds to last week's sales, and pre-orders are usually rather low for new IP.

This week, or at least today, Dishonored is ranked at the top of Steam's "top sellers" list, above XCOM.

Um. How's the game?

Playing on PC between, on normal.

Weapon handling is really cool. There is a definitive Arkane feel to it and some features remind me of Arx Fatalis and others of Dark Messiah. The dialog system works like Skyrim as well: you can look around while talking to people.

I love the setting though, it's like Half-Life 2 meet Moby Dick (whales, whales, whales). Everybody is ugly too. Really different from the "market".

The first missions is linear, a few things hidden for you to discover (lots of lore books). The first few minutes is pretty much like Deus Ex HR intro (in a way), you don't have to kill everybody though. You can upgrade weapons/mask with money, so coins act like XP (the upgrade are things like more ammo reserve, more accuracy, zoom feature, etc).

Killing people is easy. They die in 1-2 hits on normal. You can't survive more than 3-4 hits yourself though. I much prefer the stealth approach. It plays like thief, you can steal keys, use shadows, etc. I almost forgot how leaning worked and you have to pay attention to sounds as well, to not be seen.

I need to play more to see a real mission. The 1st one is the tutorial and pretty much designed to teach you how to play. Although so far, I'll say this is Thief meet Deus Ex HR. I can't comment on the story either.

To finish this not-so-much a review:
Motion sickness = me had to stop playing for now. At least I can turn off the head bobbing. Might have to change the FOV as well. The motion sickness is mostly caused by climbing, the way the camera move just make me sick and I was exploring around the "base camp" and did it too often in short notice.

Killing people is easy. They die in 1-2 hits on normal. You can't survive more than 3-4 hits yourself though. I much prefer the stealth approach. It plays like thief, you can steal keys, use shadows, etc. I almost forgot how leaning worked and you have to pay attention to sounds as well, to not be seen.

How is the hardest difficulty setting? Can you try it?

Back
Top Bottom