LucasArts - Shuts Down

coaster

Utarg of Utarg
Original Sin Donor
http://uk.gamespot.com/news/lucasarts-closed-6406363

Oh well, its not as if they produced anything worthwhile for ages anyway (Star Wars Kinect, oh god). I just hope Disney flogs off some of the IPs, eg Monkey Island, or at least gets a third party publisher to do something worthwhile with them.

Edit - from Wiki:

On April 3, 2013, Disney confirmed that LucasArts would cease to operate as a video game developer and serve as a licensor. As a result, all of its future projects were cancelled, and most of its staff was laid off from the company. Disney indicated that the new business model would "[minimize] the company's risk while achieving a broader portfolio of quality Star Wars games."

Yeah, been a long time since they've done anything relevent, but sad to see them go. Between Origin, Sierra and Lucas Arts, you can account for about 90% of my free time as a child!

Still - another once great name, gone.

NOOOOOOOO

An other one bites the dust :(

Lucas arts has been an huge part of my life.

Some of my favourite games come from their catalogue. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_LucasArts_games

-Full Throttle
-The Dig
-Indiana Jones and the fate of atlantis
-Dark forces / Jedi knight series
-Kotor 1&2
-Monkey islands
-X-Wing vs. TIE Fighter
-X-Wing Alliance
-Rogue squadron
-Outlaws
-Grim Fandango
-Republic commando
-SW: Battlefront

They've been undead for quite a long time now, but it's still sad to see one of the old giants, a logo that almost guaranteed a good time, go away.

RiP Guybrush Threepwood and Manny Calavera let's hope no money hungry necromancer tries to resurrect you,unless it's HD edition like first 2 Monkey island;).On bright side maybe we can finally see Monkey island,Grim fandango and KotOR on GoG.

One of my favorite games (if not my favorite... but that's a tough battle with Europa Universalis 3 and Crusader Kings 2) was made by them for the old consoles... Gladius. It didn't sell that well and LucasArts never made a sequel. Hopefully this means some other company will acquire the rights for very cheap and make a sequel of their own.

Well this just confirms the rumors that Star Wars 1313 was cancelled earlier this year. Shame it had promise but what I really wanted was another StarWars rpg.

Last edited:
Day of the tentacle is one of the best games ever made of any genre - however they really were LucasArts in name only for the last 10 years or so. The magic died a long time ago.

Kotaku has the info that Disney has closed the Lucas Arts studio.
The staff were informed of the shutdown this morning, according to a reliable Kotaku source. Some 150 people were laid off, and both of the studio's current projects—Star Wars: First Assault and Star Wars 1313—were cancelled. Disney will still use the LucasArts name to license games, but the studio is no more.
Publicly, Disney is saying their current games could be licensed out to a different publisher or developer, but according to our source, that's unlikely. Our source says Lucas has pursued the option for "one or both games," but nothing happened. "With the teams now basically being dispersed I think both games are effectively dead forever," our source said.
More information.

I'm sad about Star Wars 1313, but I can only view this as a good thing. Now Disney can hire other studios like Obsidian to make more StarWars games.

Well, it was a long time ago that studio made any good games, but a long time ago.. they made some of the best games there was.

Looking at mobygames statistics the newest game on the list of top 10 most popular games was Star Wars: Jedi Knight - Jedi Academy released 2003. That was 10 years ago. Also most of the games on this list are just collections of lucasarts games from the 90s.
Most popular games as rated by MobyGames users.
5.0 Star Wars: Episode I - Collector's Pack
5.0 Star Wars Jedi Knight Collection
4.9 Zehn Adventures
4.7 Star Wars: TIE Fighter - Defender of the Empire
4.7 Outlaws: Handful of Missions
4.6 Star Wars: X-Wing Vs. TIE Fighter + Balance of Power
4.5 LucasArts Classic: The Entertainment Pack
4.5 Star Wars: X-Wing - Imperial Pursuit
4.5 Classic Collection: Lucasfilm
4.5 Do 335 Pfeil Tour of Duty

http://www.mobygames.com/company/lucasarts
They made good simulators and adventures games but both genres died in the late 90s. They also made good fps games like outlaws and jedi knight but for some reason after them their fps games took a dive for the worse.

I don't remember the last interesting game they made, so maybe this is an appropriate decision.

One of my favorite games (if not my favorite… but that's a tough battle with Europa Universalis 3 and Crusader Kings 2) was made by them for the old consoles… Gladius. It didn't sell that well and LucasArts never made a sequel. Hopefully this means some other company will acquire the rights for very cheap and make a sequel of their own.

Just played through Gladius again some months back, and it still holds up. Great game.

R.I.P. LucasArts.

It was mentioned as well that they were going to outsource their games now.

Back
Top Bottom