Kid in a candy store

TheMadGamer

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor
Is it just me or is it a sea of RPG goodness right now???

I have been so busy for the last 6 months I'm quite literally dogpiled by RPGs raining down all around me. I need a RPG umbrella.

Witcher 2, Skyrim, KoA, Risen 2, and now D3. The only game I've put any significant time into is Skyrim and have only scratched the surface of the rest.

I can't even remember the last time I had so many good RPGs to choose from to fit my mood. Anyone else feeling the same thrill?

Aye, for the first time in years I'm actually having a hard time keeping up. That says a lot. Gaming has been good lately, even though none of the games in question would make my top 10.

Yes, it's a good time right now.

All the titles you listed I see as being 90% action games with 'some' RPG elements (especially KoA, D3). Plus the stories of Skyrim and KoA were just to weak to draw me in beyond 15 hours or so.

For me, the last 6 months is Avernum Escape from the Pit, Grimrock and (hopefully) Game of Thrones (waiting for inevitable sale after the poor reviews).

I would agree! I don't have a lot of time but there is such a huge collection of great games of many different types I am pleasantly overwhelmed.

Currently back into Skyrim. I got to 225 hours and took a short break to play some beta's and return to RIFT for a short while. Now I am back into it full time after downloaded a half-dozen excellent mods.

I play on alternating Skyrim and Diablo 3 until TSW and GW2 comes out. Speaking of which D3 is annoying for some reasons but overall the game is very well done for its style - very fun graphics and lots to see and do. Sure its a whack-a-mole style game but for its style its top-notch so far. I play with two friends who live across the country from me a few times a week and really enjoy it.

So right now I have as my top 3:
Skyrm
Diablo 3
Legend of Grimlock

Coming up I have:
The Secret World
Guild Wars 2

On backlog I have:
Divinity 2
Fallout 3
King Arthur RTS
KoA

It's good time to be RPG player so many quality and diverse titles both from major and indie developers in past year I still got Avadon:black forterss in my backlog.Seeing some of demos and betas it looks like there are more good times ahead.Games I am most excited about are:

1.Age of Decadance(beta left my jaws nailed to the floor could this be cRPG I been waiting for since arcanum?)
2.Eschalon book 3(Eschalon book 2 is so far my favorite indie rpg)
3.Driftmoon(pre-ordered it after playing pretty long demo)

Also looking forward to new skyrim DLC and hoping it will be more size of fallout:new vegas DLCs than classic small DLCs from companies like EA

I'm still just playing Battle for Wesnoth... I have a neverending amount of fun with that game and I'm not sure why... Maybe it's the challenge.

Graphics are abhorring. Gameplay is nothing new. Strange, but I can play a game on it for 3 hours straight :D

I'm aiming to play Risen after my exams, if I like it, I might get Risen 2 too, but Gothic 3 failed to pull me in as much as G1 or G2 so I'm slightly wary.

Age of Decadence seemed a bit too restricted for me, but we'll see. I also will have to play Discord Times since I joined the Kickstarter for Legends of Eisenwald...

I'm still playing Mount & Blade every few months as well and I'm waiting for the next major patch by the Last Days (LOTR) modding team to start with that one again. :)

I'm aiming to play Risen after my exams, if I like it, I might get Risen 2 too, but Gothic 3 failed to pull me in as much as G1 or G2 so I'm slightly wary.

I think you'll like Risen. It's closer in feel to Gothic 1&2 than Gothic 3 was. Risen 2 its worthy as well.

I really need to give Mount & Blade a try one of these days...

I'm in a particular situation. I don't enjoy action RPGs (like Diablo or Risen or Gothic), so my RPG list is reduced, but on the other hand I like strategy games (not RTS), so yes my plate is also full.
Right now I've been playing Might & Magic Heroes 6 for like the last 2 months, doing the campaign maps in chronological order (story makes much more sense that way).
Just finished a full game of Crusader Kings 2 that took me like a month, and started another to see if I can make a Russian kingdom that can withstand the mongol hordes (I'm hoping when they appear and cream my troops I can at least get to keep a barony somewhere).
Also playing Game of Thrones which has been very enjoyable so far.
Luckily Magna Mundi has been delayed and delayed, or that would have been a month of exclusive play.
Now in the recent sale I got Frayed Knights and Avadon added to the queue.
Got Skyrim in December, and played a few hours of it, and though I think I'll play it someday, their removal of the spellcrafting system really lowered my enjoyment of the game.

Wasn't here somewhere a thread about Heroes VI ?

How is Heroes VI ? I loved Heroes III, IV less and V even less and I am not a fan of online-only "achievements" and items. Any idea of this is for me ?

Heroes III is my favorite heroes game too but I liked V more than IV in my opinion skip Heroes VI and wait for king's bounty warriors of north.
In my opinion Heroes VI is worst game in series
Btw I forgot king's bounty warriors of north in my most anticipated list I love king's bounty

Heroes III is my favorite heroes game too but I liked V more than IV in my opinion skip Heroes VI and wait for king's bounty warriors of north.
In my opinion Heroes VI is worst game in series
Btw I forgot king's bounty warriors of north in my most anticipated list I love king's bounty

Pah, forget Heroes III and get Age of Wonders 1 instead :p

How is Heroes VI ? I loved Heroes III, IV less and V even less and I am not a fan of online-only "achievements" and items. Any idea of this is for me ?

I love Heroes VI. To me it's about 3rd in the series (3 being the best, then 5 and then 6). Playing the maps in chronological order is the best way to play it. It has a great story and it's very playable now, unlike how it was when it was released (it was full of bugs and non-working powers).
As for the online stuff, I'm playing it offline so if you don't like online-only achievements and items, you don't have to use them.
Suggested order of map playing:
- Prologue 1
- Prologue 2
- Stronghold 1
- Sanctuary 1
- Inferno 1
- Haven 1
- Necropolis 1
- Stronghold 2
- Sanctuary 2
- Haven 2
- Necropolis 2
- Sanctuary 3
- Stronghold 3
- Inferno 2
- Necropolis 3
- Inferno 3
- Sanctuary 4
- Stronghold 4
- Haven 3
- Necropolis 4
- Haven 4
- Inferno 4
- Epilogues

How is the gameplay ?

Heroes VI gamplay?Somewhat simpiefied compare to previous parts there are only 3 resources+gold there lot less buildings and gampley of each faction is too similar(that fact that each faction now has melee/archer/suport as first 3 units annoys me particulary).But not all is worse heroes development(skill system etc.) system and storyline are better than in previous parts.Also unit stat system is difrent not necessarily better or worse just difrent.Btw any else misses hexes besides me(last seen in heroes III)?

Back
Top Bottom