Microsoft - Buys Zenimax/Bethesda

Well this is the worst news of 2020 so far. This just sucks, even more than consoles.

Usually large corporations who buy out like this wring the new purchase dry leaving nothing left of what it once was. Maybe MS will be better than this but I can't think of any games I have even played from MS let alone ones I might like.

I can see them integrating it all into their store and app system and making things more restrictive.

Course I don't know - maybe some good will come from it but I see very little good ever coming from any mega corporation these days.

Then again a lot is driven by the players and this generation of gamers clearly want something different and are also more console focused. And companies prefer that (consoles over PC).

Ugg crappy Monday.

Talk about over reaction? You never played outer worlds? or the new obsidian game about being shrunk down? You didn't play wasteland 3?

I feel you may be a bit out of date on what MS has done with other companies lately....the dumbing down for consoles has actually not been as bad as it once was.

They will all be in their gamepass which is actually a fabulous deal for anyone playing games. First party games never rotate out.

Like why? It's a machine that plays games on your TV….not coronavirus.

Silly stuff by you as usual.

Look, person insulting someone else's choices that don't affect them or have anything to do with them. What a strange thing.

I can understand when people are concerned about Microsoft buying Obsidian and InXile, as this probably will change the type of games these studios make.

But, Bethesda. Come on, people. This is the company whose last releases include Fallout 76, Fallout Shelter, and ESO.

And I'm someone who likes their single player games.

You know they have starfield coming and elder scrolls 6....these just take time...

Look, person insulting someone else's choices that don't affect them or have anything to do with them. What a strange thing.

Weird you have no issues doing that....don't like it, don't do it.

My main worry here is the future and modability of TES 6.

I get the feeling they plan on leaving them alone on that....these guys have been talking for years. the one thing I think this means though is it won't be on playstation. PC and xbox and on gamepass day 1....good deal for those who like that.

Weird you have no issues doing that….don't like it, don't do it.

It's you who has a problem with me, I don't even know who you are, first time I see that name. As usual, I'll do as I please, so deal with it.

Microsoft buys one AAA RPG Studio after another.

Maybe I switch even more to indie games…

I kind of agree if we are expecting an "EA effect" from MS. Like the one that destroyed BioWare. However, what if MS has a different effect from EA... that remains to be seen.

Corporate consolidation FTW. Microsoft buys Zenimax/Beth/Id, nVidia buy ARM. etc etc
In 20 years we'll be buying everything from 2-3 corporations that slice the world in a way tha they don't step on each other's toes. And people are actually applauding this. Weird. It's like they don't see where this is headed.

Microsoft has already gone through some lawsuits due to buying off competition and monopolising markets. Suppose they know well where the fringe is at this point, but it does seem to be heading that way.

It's you who has a problem with me, I don't even know who you are, first time I see that name. As usual, I'll do as I please, so deal with it.

Yeah, I'm sure this is the first time you have seen my name. Whatever, you want to act all hurt and pretend you haven't done it to others that's on you. I don't care enough to bother with it anymore. I will however have no issue calling out BS.

I kind of agree if we are expecting an "EA effect" from MS. Like the one that destroyed BioWare. However, what if MS has a different effect from EA… that remains to be seen.

You can look at how they have treated other comanies like mojang, obsidion and inxile which I think has been pretty good...hopefully that is the new trend?

Well this is the worst news of 2020 so far. This just sucks, even more than consoles.
Ugg crappy Monday.

I'm not sure whether to be happy for you that your world is so amazing that this is the worst news...
or
be sad for you that this indeed is the worst thing.

:)

die Übertreibung

Yeah, I'm sure this is the first time you have seen my name. [....] I will however have no issue calling out BS.

Welcome to the forums new person. Don't forget to introduce yourself in the other thread :)

From a purely selfish point of view I am concerned. I love, love, love Bethesda's single player open world games. I am still playing Fallout 4...today. I resumed it just after I finished the Enderal(Skyrim overhaul). Historically, when a big company buys up a smaller studio, quality tends to get diminished. Don't get me wrong, I am not a Microsoft hater, just the opposite, gaming from the early days I love how stable the standards are for today. Still, I am concerned for my favorite go to games.

On the plus side with Obsidian and Bethesda on the same team, can we say New Vegas 2?????????

On the plus side with Obsidian and Bethesda on the same team, can we say New Vegas 2?????????

I could bet money that we will hear about FNV 2 in the next two years.

My main worry here is the future and modability of TES 6.

To be honest, I buried my hopes for TES 6 a long time ago. The final nail in the coffin was Fallout 4. Singleplayer MMO...

I also see huge economic conglomerates as a possible threat to freedom in the coming decades. They might become so powerful they can just "buy" the politics they want. From there it is just one more step to corporate laws and corporate military. Will be interesting to look at Cyberpunk 2077 in 2077.

I work for a very big company myself. And one thing is sure:
If a company becomes bigger then their flexibility and adaptability decreases. Like a big tanker in a rough sea.

Only if managed incorrectly. SpaceX is good example of doing it right.

Microsoft has a good record of letting their dev partners do their own thing. For instance Mojang and Minecraft. If anything it made it much more accessible to everyone.

Back
Top Bottom