Rampant Games - Indie Games: Competition and authorship

aries100

SasqWatch
Jay Barnson from Rampant Coyte updated his blog discussing this subject. His starting point is the old school Shaker RPG made by Brenda Brathwaite and Tom Hall. He first discusses competition:
It’s true that on a small (but growing) level, we indies are in competition with each other. The economy pretty much still stinks everywhere, and games aren’t quite as “recession-proof” as originally thought. Indie RPGs have gone from being all but unheard-of to being a pretty exciting field that even I have trouble keeping track of – even if I generally focus on PC games. But in my opinion, the zero-sum thing really doesn’t kick in until a market is really saturated. Maybe it is there already on mobile devices, but it certainly isn’t yet in our niche.
Then he discusses authorship:
It’s not so much “celebrity designers” as it is authorship. Authorship is something that has lost a lot of ground (by necessity and by design) in the AAA world. When you have a development team measured in triple digits, it’s going to be very hard for anybody’s contribution – even the lead designer’s – to really exert a powerful influence on the game. Really, it takes a commitment on the part of the studio and publisher to make sure that happens – and to give the responsible parties credit. Publishers have very little motivation to do so, as they can own a property, but they can’t own a designer.
More information.

that's true. something that is really saturated is the amount of cheap games you can buy, from steam or general cd keys deals.
i think most consumer are overwhelmed by the amount of games available, i haven't finished torchlight 2 and there's r.a.w another diablo clone, or now is the new Xcom remake. good thing for us? not so sure. once i would have spend months on a single game, now i can't keep up with all the shiney stuff waiting for me to pick up.

there's a huge amount of games always pouring on more and more, the only thing that keeps up the developers from bankrupting is the buying frenzy.

you have to filter a lot more than before.
but indies really overwhelmed the market by the sheer amount of games developed in short time(because there are many developers-not because they develop fast).

Yes there are so many games out now, but almost impossible to find any really good ones.

i agree, there's a certain level of professionalism in the scene now with a huge lacking VS soul of the game.

Back
Top Bottom