Michael Pachter explains why there are less single player games from Western Publishe

Damian

SasqWatch
Original Sin 2 Donor
...rs

Basically it's because single player games make less money than multiplayer games because it is easier to sell microtransactions in multiplayer games. So publishers are dumping their single player devs and keeping their multiplayer devs.

Yeah, the guy knows the industry very well. I watched him all the time back on GameTrailers.

Interesting that there's a lot fewer "next gen" consoles than last gen still. I would have thought they would have caught up by now. I wonder if that's mobile (and, to a smaller extent, PC) taking a bite out of the market?

Yeah, the guy knows the industry very well. I watched him all the time back on GameTrailers.

Interesting that there's a lot fewer "next gen" consoles than last gen still. I would have thought they would have caught up by now. I wonder if that's mobile (and, to a smaller extent, PC) taking a bite out of the market?

While mobile hasnt taken a bite out of the market, it has stunted its growth however.

Newzoo_Global_Games_Market_Revenue_Growth_2016-2020_April_2017.png

Basically it's because single player games make less money than multiplayer games because it is easier to sell microtransactions in multiplayer games. So publishers are dumping their single player devs and keeping their multiplayer devs.

Sounds reasonable to me.

Sounds reasonable to me.

Yeah, why else would all the big publishers keep pushing "micro-transactions" stuff. Hardly because they want to make games cheaper.

I don't even blame the publishers and developers, I blame the sheep who play the damn games and buy lootboxes...

Always revolves about the same thing: serve the master.

The thesis is horrendous and leaks from everywhere. It has one virtue: it protects the master.

The thesis does not explain how microtransactions are optional in SP products and even counterproductive to any player willing to play the product.
It does not explain how devs came to introduce MU in products that have no microtransactions and by design, are unfriendly to MU like UgoIgo products.

Devs are moving to MU products because this is what players desire. This site have echoed the demand much.

SP opens doors that can not be opened in MU. And reversely.

Players committed to SP tend to demand features that can only be delivered by SP and devs who are committed to pushing the exploration of SP gameplay further put an emphasis on features that are exclusive to SP gameplay.

Players have little interest in SP, nor in MU gameplay.

When asked how to improve Skyrim, they see MU as a must. Satellite reign must be completed by a MU mode etc

Players desire a SP product that can be played by multiple players at the same time and a MU product that makes other players not mandatory.

When players are given a SP product, one of the first questions is whether it has a MU/coop mode.
When they are given a MU product, one question is whether they can play it alone.

The micro transaction stuff is just business of opportunity (actually originated in the online dimension)

Publishers renegate on it fast, they have not dropped their game design though.

Always revolves about the same thing: serve the master.

The thesis is horrendous and leaks from everywhere. It has one virtue: it protects the master.

The thesis does not explain how microtransactions are optional in SP products and even counterproductive to any player willing to play the product.
It does not explain how devs came to introduce MU in products that have no microtransactions and by design, are unfriendly to MU like UgoIgo products.

Microtransactions are optional if you have unlimited time to play. If you dont and want to play the game at a satisfactory level, you have to pay.

Devs are moving to MU products because this is what players desire. This site have echoed the demand much.

You have to be kidding me, this site is the most anti multiplayer gaming I have seen.

SP opens doors that can not be opened in MU. And reversely.

Players committed to SP tend to demand features that can only be delivered by SP and devs who are committed to pushing the exploration of SP gameplay further put an emphasis on features that are exclusive to SP gameplay.

Players have little interest in SP, nor in MU gameplay.

This is simply not true. Kingdoms of Amalur is a game that combines a lot of Multiplayer gameplay in single player. There is no reason why single player gameplay cannot be used in multiplayer games, SWTOR is an MMO that has many Single player traditions.

When asked how to improve Skyrim, they see MU as a must. Satellite reign must be completed by a MU mode etc

Literally no one wants that for Skyrim.

This site is told to be anti MU products yet displays posts calling for MU in Skyrim.

The examples of products providing MU while having no financial incentive (as depicted) are numerous, SV is one example among many others.

Players have little interest in SP. They do not ask exclusive to SP features. One of the first demands when a SP product is introduced is that it features a MU mode.

Players have little interest in SP.
Little it might be.
But in my case SP is the ONLY interest.

I have another opinion.
Players have little interest in streaming. Players. Actual players. Those are not streamjunkies.

Another Fallout, Witcher or Elderscrolls single player game would clearly show the weakness in these assumptions. Try another Baldurs Gate.

The next witcher might include MU features depending on the studio's next product.
But in my case SP is the ONLY interest.

No. MU is not compatible with SP. Beside, comments like players cheating in SP show also a lack of interest in SP. Nobody cheats in SP as a SP experience belongs to one player and one player only. Players do as they feel.

Back
Top Bottom