HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
PC Invasion has reviewed Fantasy General II:

Fantasy General 2 Review - A never-ending story

A blast from the past!
Truth be told, I have never played the original Fantasy General game which came out back in 1996. It just flew under the radar at a time when I had been focusing more on real-time strategy games and first-person shooters. Having said that, turn-based tactical offerings developed or published by Slitherine always remained a fixture in my library. That brings me to Fantasy General 2 -- from developers Owned by Gravity but still published by Slitherine. Is this sequel worth the wait? Or is the 23-year hiatus a bit too much? Let's find out in our official review.
[...]

The Empire strikes wack
As mentioned, Fantasy General 2 will have you playing as the barbarians led by Falirson for the single-player "Invasion" campaign. That's basically it. All 30+ missions are from the perspective of the same faction from start to finish. Sooner, rather than later, you might find the experience tiresome. There's also a short prequel campaign which has you playing as the barbarians... again.

The other playable faction is the Empire, but these lords and ladies are only available for skirmish and multiplayer. Variety for the single-player campaign is sorely lacking, especially once you've spent hours going through the motions.

Fantasy General 2 is not a bad game, per se. But, it is sorely lacking in what can be considered as a full-fledged fantasy RPG or fantasy strategy experience. It tries to be both, but without succeeding in either goal. With fantasy themes, it feels like a never-ending story as it is also a never-ending slog to reach the finale.

Score: 7/10
More information.

I will not read a review from someone who only played real-time strategy games and first person shooters when Fantasy General came out in 1996. Stay in your lane bruh ;)

I will not read a review from someone who only played real-time strategy games and first person shooters when Fantasy General came out in 1996. Stay in your lane bruh ;)

you are harsh ! ;-)

On a side note ikbenrichard, did you enjoy the Dutch win over the Germans yesterday :biggrin: I know I did. After missing the last two major tournaments the Dutch are back.

i am one of the few guys in the world that doesn't watch soccer :lol:

Back
Top Bottom