Skyrim - Magazine Review @ Atomic MPC

Mods helped me for awhile, but not enough. The bar was set too high with Morrowind.

Like I said though, I've got an idea on how to get around the boring melee. I'll bypass that combat system with magic or bows and see if it can interest me longer. Sure, I might have to get into melee occasionally, but if I'm a pure wizard then it'll be more fun. I'll probably go back to Oblivion one day and try playing a pure wizard as well. I always played a fighter/mage combo.

Last edited:
Mods made OB one of my favorite games of all time (but unplayable without). Imho, after mods, the only area OB loses out to MW is it's setting/world.

That said, it's a day one must-have for me but only because I intend to dive right in to the Creation Kit. Don't trust Beth to do it right anymore :D

For me waiting on the purchase has nothing to do with not thinking this will be a good game. It's the fact that a couple of months from now there will probably be several DLC-expansions, and one or two of them might actually have content I want in my game. It's just like with FO:NV, I've been holding out for the GOTY, and soon it's finally here. I doubt I can wait that long for Skyrim though, but I'll try.

Wouldn't be TOO surprised if my resolve falters after a week or two though, especially if people on this site praise the game...

Does this mean it has hardcore mode ror roleplayers that want more?

There should be a setting for rpg in rpg game:

mild rpg
vanilla rpg
chunky rpg
hardcore rpg

Sounds like a great concept but unfortunately no hardcore mode.

I'm sure modders like Duke Patrick and Arwen will put something together, however.

I'll bypass that combat system with magic or bows and see if it can interest me longer.

That's what got me thru Oblivion. I pretty much played the entire game with magic (for healing and buffs) and bows and found it an acceptable alternative to melee. If Skyrim adds in some of the more RPG-style gameplay of the Fallouts, I'm in!

Sounds like a great concept but unfortunately no hardcore mode.

I'm sure modders like Duke Patrick and Arwen will put something together, however.

I suspect we have very similar tastes, my good Count. Those two's mods are must haves for me.

Does this mean it has hardcore mode ror roleplayers that want more?

There should be a setting for rpg in rpg game:

mild rpg
vanilla rpg
chunky rpg
hardcore rpg

I beleive the gradiation goes something more like:

Broadcast (RPG aspects reduced to QT events and minigames)
Cable (with "RPG elements")
Soft-core ("RPG elements" and conversation options)
Hardcore (divergent character and plot developement + increased complexity)
German*

*The game - regardless of what it is - deletes itself and is replaced with copies of Gothic I & II, The Witcher Enhanced, and Eschalon I & II locked into the hardest difficulty modes (for the ones which actually offer them). The installer will add the enhancement of an aggressive launcher which renders the computer otherwise useless until all games are completed to its satisfaction as well as a commentary track that berates you in German (with helpful subtitles) for being pathetic and coddled by puny AAA titles with "RPG elements." Whenever the player dies in either Eschalon title, the commentary will further mock them by reminding them that they were included as light relaxation for the player's benefit and are not even German.

I would like to apologize for the shameless and libelous mischaracterization of all things German as employed this post.

An Italian site has broken the embargo it seems.

http://www.spaziogames.it/recension...taforma/12358/the-elder-scrolls-v-skyrim.aspx

They give it a 96 - or so metacritic attributes to the review. I don't see a numerical score myself though. I can't read Italian and I'm far too lazy to paste it the URL into this reply AND google language tools. When I read it out-loud though it sounds fairly enthusiastic and kind of Italian - see "Italian for Beginners" episode of The IT Crowd. There are more green positive bullet points than red negative ones, so I'm guessing that's a good sign.

Ultimately, Skyrim is a lot like Fallout: New Vegas

Fallout Vegas crashed my machine (not the nice crash to desktop) every play session. It was an absolutely totally frustrating play experience. But with all that, the game is easily one of my top 5 games of all time. I put in over 200 hours in one play through. I can only dream that Skyrim approaches the greatness of FO-NV.

Back
Top Bottom