Non-RPG General News - Are AAA games really failing?

On this account, AAA products can not come to the console market.

You think everyone who plays computer games rushes out and buys the latest console as soon as its released?

total sales of ps4s (worldwide):

28/04/2106 - 40 million
31/07/2105 - 25 million
30/09/2014 - 13.5 million
13/11/2013 - 22/02/2014 - various release dates.

So its safe to conclude that sales average 1 million per month. Meaning that consoles have the same customer mindset. PS4 also vastly outsold all competitors. 1 million per month worldwide means that for any specific country, even the United States, monthly sales are only in the 100,000s of thousands.

When you consider that AAA game development and marketing is weighted to demand first week sales as their biggest consumer moment, and deciding factor on investment and success rating, again, appealing to older system requirements is more mass market than anything content-wise in the game.

The PC niche is precisely niche because it demands quality improvements at a faster rate than the console market. One of the best ways to piss off the PC AAA market is to release a game that is optimised for 3 year old consoles instead of current PC.

Consoles will sell a limited number.
Figures show that PS4 is moving toward this number at a doubling up rate per year rate.
AAA developpment cycle is roughly 2 years: two years after PS4, a publisher relies on a 40M market to break even.

Chien...

Because I'm from England I despise having to complain about people who have trouble speaking English as a foreign language. If I do so not only to I come across as a selfish ignoramus but I, personally, lack the ability to not put the effort in to at least try to understand what someone is saying.

However, you seem to be different from 'normal' people. From what I can gather about normal people, myself hopefully included, is that when they go about performing an activity they're not very good at then they'll make it a personal goal to improve themselves over time, whatever the subject matter. In this regard, if the world still spoke French as the global language of communication, and I didn't speak it very well, I'd go about making sure I improved my skills.

Now, I'm aware one doesn't need to speak English everywhere in the world and many people can get by just fine without it, but I suspect those people aren't making their second hobby one of trying to communicate on an English speaking discussion board with other people who have chosen to communicate using the English language.

And in this regard, people who are not confident with the English language will likely still post when they are particularly triggered about something and try to make themselves understood as best as possible, but they wont be contributing 10 posts a day on a whole range of topics. Because they will be 'self aware' that they are crap at English and the conversations don't seem to be working out.

You not only seem aware that barely anyone can understand a sentence you make, but you seem completely undaunted by this 'mild' setback to your posting regime and even revel in the fact. Sometimes it seems like you're making a relevant point, and you most likely are in a lot of cases, but if people can't understand your points 95% of the time and every single person you have a conversation with eventually informs you of this, why in all that's reality do you persist in not only increasing your contributions but also persist in refusing to either improve and also persist in refusing to acknowledge you even have a language problem?

One day a different language might well be the communal language of sites like this, but, in the mean time:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/English_as_a_second_or_foreign_language

Yes? No?

Again with that stuff.

Same answers as usual

First, people show their command over a language when they are able to understand the greater number of forms.

Second, the points made. Most of the times, they are straightforward observations that anyone should be able to make.
Making them tells little, far less than failing to make them.

Anyone reading this
total sales of ps4s (worldwide):

28/04/2106 - 40 million
31/07/2105 - 25 million
30/09/2014 - 13.5 million
13/11/2013 - 22/02/2014 - various release dates.
should be able to make a few basic observations.

Back
Top Bottom