Fallout 3 - E3 Hands-On @ IGN

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Xbox360.IGN has an early E3 hands-on of Fallout 3, having apparently spent an hour with the game. Describing it as a hybrid of Fallout 2 and Oblivion, the article also calls it "one of the most impressive video games of the year". Here's a bit on different options:
In addition to repairing items to create better ones, Fallout 3 players can also interact with their environment to change the way they approach their mission. These interactions can include hacking computers (which presents a mini-game that challenges you to figure out a password from a screen full of gibberish) to control robotic gun turrets, to lock-picking (another mini-game that requires you to move the left thumbstick to adjust your Kirby Grip and the right thumbstick to adjust your screwdriver) so that you can access previously restricted areas.

When coupled with other elements such as limited environmental damage (cars blow up, etc), the fact that monsters avoid combat if they think they can't win, and the player ability to "surrender" to another NPC during combat by holstering your weapon, the world of Fallout 3 becomes real pretty quickly.
On a related note, head over to Briosafreak's blog for a summary of a preview in Xbox World 360 magazine.
More information.

aaargh ffs ..same inventory as oblivion.
looks like another butchered IP.

I want in-game footage! Or at least no more the fanboyish previews.

So Oblivion with Guns it is then. What a sad end for the Fallout series.

I agree that the VATS part of the 5½-6 minutes looked & played terrible. The combat would have been much better, imo, if it was just done in real time, I find.

I sort of liked this demo. It looks nice, the setting seem OK. I have only one complaint: If I didn't know it was Fallout game, I would have thought it was just another FPS game where you blow stuff up.

I do, however, still have feeling that the quest structure and some other things will be more similar to Fallout than to say Oblivion. This is just an intuitive feeling...

Just a brief comment... when a journalist who has never played the original Fallout games (or other early-era RPGs like Ultima) compares Fallout 3 to Oblivion, you have to keep in mind the journalist's lack of historical context.

Journalists are going to relate their experiences with the game to what they know, and if they are mainly familiar with games from the past five years, then that's how they are going to frame their experiences. Fallout 1 & 2 are a hell of a lot closer to Oblivion than they are to Final Fantasy VII or Half-Life.

Just a brief comment... when a journalist who has never played the original Fallout games (or other early-era RPGs like Ultima) compares Fallout 3 to Oblivion, you have to keep in mind the journalist's lack of historical context.

It's like testing any nbew RPG without having ever played an Ultima game.

Which means in the end that newer RPGs are considered a "standard", also in what they contain.

Back
Top Bottom