Risen 2 - Let the Music Play

Dhruin

SasqWatch
The 4th Risen 2 "Making of" video is now online, looking at the creation of the music in the game. From the official site:
Deep Silver and Piranha Bytes today released the fourth episode of the six part making-of series that will become available over the course of the next months until the release.
The developers from Piranha Bytes this time describe what kind of music works best for games:
- how a soundtrack for a game gets created even though the game itself is too early to be used as an inspiration
- how the different music tracks get placed in the different areas of a game world
- and how music can convey different moods and emotions in a game.
More information.

I like the Music. Its good and works to supplement and enhance the atmosphere almost to the degree it did in its predecessors.

It did seem a bit tame (and it is that and somewhat inferior in comparison to say #1) but it grew on me pretty quickly and I've only heard 3-4 different tracks, so this at least is an aspect I am not particularly worried about :)

Still will miss Mr. Rosenkranz :salute:

That was awesome, who's the narrator, is it Rutger Hauer? The voice seems familiar…

Daniel.

First Piranha game that doesn't come with music made by Kai Rosenkranz.Sad, but I am still looking forward to this game.

I'll take JDR's comment as some measure of reassurance, however what I did hear in the video wasn't altogether inspiring and certainly less impactful than the music from the first game, a soundtrack I'm rather fond of listening to even outside of the game.
Here's to hoping it will still have those quiet classic KaiRo-like moments of contemplation, thereby allowing that atmospheric immmersion factor to sink in that little bit more.

Here's to hoping it will still have those quiet classic KaiRo-like moments of contemplation, thereby allowing that atmospheric immmersion factor to sink in that little bit more.

Trust me it seemed a bit too tame to me at times (I obviously speak from experiencing the beta, not having yet acquired psychic abilities ;) ).

What it lacks is the character and intensity of Kairo's compositions... a sense of individuality and the exotic (and even a bit of lurking menace at places) that his compositions in Risen 1 (not to mention the Gothics of course) had.

Or to put it plainly, Kairo's were simply hands down better on building an atmosphere while Seelbachs just complement placing more in the background (Hoge's intro indicates that this was actually a design goal)... Just my Opinion of course :)

I never found Kairo's work particularly intense, with the exception of some of Gothic 3's tracks. His best stuff was more about building ambience rather than being majestic, imo. I think that's why I preferred his work in Gothic 1+2 over the more orchestrated Gothic 3, although I know a lot of people feel otherwise.

I never found Kairo's work particularly intense, with the exception of some of Gothic 3's tracks. His best stuff was more about building ambience rather than being majestic, imo. I think that's why I preferred his work in Gothic 1+2 over the more orchestrated Gothic 3, although I know a lot of people feel otherwise.

I feel the same, G3 had some magnificent tracks(like in Ishtar)but I rarely got that 'haunting' feeling that I was getting from the music in G1 and 2, it was perfect… just amazing atmosphere.No other game ever surpassed G2's music for me.

Gothic 2 - Valley of Mines
Gothic 2 - Nature 1 theme

Darn, nostalgia fever.

Last edited:

Although I do consider Gothic 3's soundtrack superior to G1-2 that is not really what I actually meant here.

Rather that, even on tracks like i.e. the Swamp camp soundtrack on Gothic 1 (or even the one on Risen 1) Kairo's music has more character and individuality and more worked to actually dictate the atmosphere rather than stay as a complementing influence on the background. (I am speaking in comparative terms here)

Between Gothic 1 and 2 I consider the soundtrack on #1 quite a bit superior to #2 really, except from the tracks on Jharkendar (Didn't NOTR make everything better…).

And speaking of favorite contemplative and introspective moments (which are in fact some of the finer moments of Kairo's music): Free Mine (But I believe it played around Cavalorn's hut too), The pirate camp theme from Jharkendar…

I was of a mind to start posting "haunting" introspective pieces from Gothic3 .. then I realized that this post would start to look a bit longish… Myrtana at night, Varant solo strings and Lizbeth Scott's voice on the ruins and Vengard ….

Edit: It seems people just remember the bombastic ones. I have the soundtrack in my playlist in addition to my 3 playthroughs… :)

Last edited:
Between Gothic 1 and 2 I consider the soundtrack on #1 quite a bit superior to #2 really, except from the tracks on Jharkendar (Didn't NOTR make everything better…).

Easily the most memorable expansion, really added to the game on so many different levels.As for G1vsG2(music wise)I am not one hundred percent sure to be honest, it's been SO many years and I am counting way more play-throughs in G2 & NoTR than G1.Planning on playing all three of them again soon.
And speaking of favorite contemplative and introspective moments (which are in fact some of the finer moments of Kairo's music): Free Mine (But I believe it played around Cavalorn's hut too), The pirate camp theme from Jharkendar…

Brilliant pieces indeed, I can picture Cronos walking around at night, glowing ore mound beneath, all the bandits sitting near fires… loved the scenery.
I was of a mind to start posting "haunting" introspective pieces from Gothic3 .. then I realized that this post would start to look a bit longish… Myrtana at night, Varant solo strings and Lizbeth Scott's voice on the ruins and Vengard ….

Just checked the songs again, I should really give Gothic III another chance, my previous experiences were terrible thanks to all the bugs, but it shouldn't be that bad with community patch and all.

Anyway, easily my favourite series out there and seeing it getting mangled* beyond recognition was just plain sad.

*See G3 expansion & Arcania

Brilliant pieces indeed, I can picture Cronos walking around at night, glowing ore mound beneath, all the bandits sitting near fires… loved the scenery.

In that case you would be hearing that one In addition to Cronos yelling at you to step aside ;)

Anyway, easily my favourite series out there and seeing it getting mangled* beyond recognition was just plain sad.

*See G3 expansion & Arcania

Well the IP is back to PB now, so we are spared further indignities :)

I couldn't spot any piratey themes in that trailer, where are the yo-hos? Guess I'll have to settle for the monkey and parrot.

On my quest to discover who the narrator is, most people think it's Anthony Hopkins, but I can't find conformation anywhere. Can anyone confirm?

Daniel.

I'm not seeing any mini documentary on the music; all I see is a newish trailer being voiced by a younger, less raspier version of Anthony Hopkins.

Back
Top Bottom