Risen - Gimli, Gollum and Pratchett Confirmed

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Ausir writes that Polish site Polygamia.pl has confirmed with Piranha Bytes that the IMDB credits for Risen are correct. This means some serious talent has been organised, with John Rhys-Davies, Andy Serkis and Lena Headey providing voice work and Rhianna Pratchett, James Leach and Andrew S. Walsh writing dialogues.
More information.

Woah, talk about bringing out the big guns to get the dialogue right. Hopefully they succeed, and even that aspect will be praised (usually, the translations were mediocre at best).

Deep Silver is doing a pretty bad job with the PR, by the way. If it were a Bethesda game, big names like this would have been hyped all over the gaming media, not just leaked through IMDb.

I hope the dialog is good enough not to sound embarrassing when spoken by that kind of talent. That hasn't been PB's strongest point.

I didn't have a problem with the voice acting of the previous Gothics, and I thought the low-key actors sort of fit with the games.

Good talent is great, but I think it's one of the areas where a relatively small-time budget should be used differently.

I have no idea if they had a big budget this time, but I can't believe it's up there with Oblivion/Mass Effect - and is probably closer to the middle-market stage.

I'd want swimming/underwater exploration instead of high profile voice acting, to give an appropriate example :)

I hope the polish translation and dubbing will be great (in Gothics they were but now it's another polish publisher) and I'm more concerned about voices in polish version than english ;) Anyway that's great they have some good people to write dialogues - that game might be really great now, I begin to suspect that they are making game better than original Gothics. I have high expectations now ;)

I hope the dialog is good enough not to sound embarrassing when spoken by that kind of talent. That hasn't been PB's strongest point.

Yeah, but this time they hired people from the outside, like Rhianna Pratchett, to write the dialogues, so there will likely be an improvement in this regard too.

I'd want swimming/underwater exploration instead of high profile voice acting, to give an appropriate example
I'd never change voice-acting in Bloodlines even for swimming, destroying environment, bigger world etc. and everything combined together. Great voice-acting with great writing can make the game itself ;)

Deep Silver is doing a pretty bad job with the PR, by the way. If it were a Bethesda game, big names like this would have been hyped all over the gaming media, not just leaked through IMDb.

But on the other hand it seems everybody hates Bethesda for doing that...

I hope the polish translation and dubbing will be great (in Gothics they were but now it's another polish publisher) and I'm more concerned about voices in polish version than english

There will be no dubbing in the Polish version, only subtitles. As for the translation, I'm one of the translators. :)

But on the other hand it seems everybody hates Bethesda for doing that...

Well, Bethesda is overhyping it, but Deep Silver seems to be underhyping. And Bethesda's approach is effective from a marketing standpoint, whether we like it or not.

There will be no dubbing in the Polish version, only subtitles. As for the translation, I'm one of the translators. :)

Hehe, now I know where to bitch if translation won't be good :p
But jokes aside - could you tell me what voice-acting will we have - english, german or both where you can select whichever you want? Can I change language of the text?
Btw. that's too bad we won't have dubbing... but I guess original voices are better than bad/mediocre dubbing so it's still okay.

Yeah, but this time they hired people from the outside, like Rhianna Pratchett, to write the dialogues, so there will likely be an improvement in this regard too.

Awesome. We'll see how it pans out.

But jokes aside - could you tell me what voice-acting will we have - english, german or both where you can select whichever you want? Can I change language of the text?

Only English voice acting. No idea if you can change the language of the text. I'm just translating it, not publishing. :)

And I'm not that fond of dubbing myself, if I know the original language, I just prefer to play the original version, and if I don't know it, I prefer to use subtitles.

I'd never change voice-acting in Bloodlines even for swimming, destroying environment, bigger world etc. and everything combined together. Great voice-acting with great writing can make the game itself ;)

No, I'd prefer voice acting in movies over actors swimming around willy-nilly as well :)

But seriously, Vampire is an ENTIRELY different breed - a game which is basically carried by story and setting. Underwater exploration in such a linear and focused game really would have little place from that perspective.

Gothic/Risen are open world exploration games, designed to give you the sensation that you're free to go do as you please, and I'd claim that high-profile voice acting is less vital than the actual exploration.

That said, I'm not saying Risen can't be different and if they've focused on a more cinematic experience this time around, things might be very different.

But I'm not into these games for a cinematic experience, and if you ask me - we have more than enough of that elsewhere. Bioware being a key example.

I didn't have a problem with the voice acting of the previous Gothics, and I thought the low-key actors sort of fit with the games.

Good talent is great, but I think it's one of the areas where a relatively small-time budget should be used differently.

I have no idea if they had a big budget this time, but I can't believe it's up there with Oblivion/Mass Effect - and is probably closer to the middle-market stage.

I'd want swimming/underwater exploration instead of high profile voice acting, to give an appropriate example :)

I totally agree with you.
Really liked the voice acting in gothic 1-2 actually.

Aww, I actually loved some of PB's humorous dialogue. I'm not sure what to think now.

I hope the polish translation and dubbing will be great (in Gothics they were but now it's another polish publisher)

Heh, I kept imagining that the main character in Risen will speak with the voice of the Nameless Hero from Gothic. :) I can't believe I'm saying it, but I wouldn't mind
a Polish dubbing (probably just because the Gothics had dubbing).

Back
Top Bottom