InXile Entertainment - Jason Anderson and an Epic RPG

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Here's one out of the blue. Jason Anderson (Fallout, Troika) was last known to be working at Interplay as Creative Director on FOOL but Worthplaying has an announcement from Brian Fargo's inXile, saying Jason has joined to lead a second team "focused on an epic game that will push the boundaries of RPGs":
Jason has an extensive resume of creating amazing RPGs over the past two decades and we feel very lucky to have his talent directed to one of our upcoming projects," said Brian Fargo, chief executive officer of inXile entertainment. "His leadership and vision will allow us to have a second development team focused on an epic game that will push the boundaries of RPGs.
inXile has been working on small games of late (Linerider for the iPhone, among others)...could they finally be moving on their Wasteland IP? Seems unlikely but we'll keep an eye out.
More information.

could they finally be moving on their Wasteland IP? Seems unlikely

Really? Why?

I mean, I'm not sure where InXile would get the funding, but "Jason Anderson" + "InXile" plus "epic game that will push the boundaries of RPGs" = Wasteland 2 (or Remake), no?

Might it not be just as simple as that they will develop Fallout Online for Interplay?

Might it not be just as simple as that they will develop Fallout Online for Interplay?

Interplay will lose the license on April 4th due to lack of funds. The deal with Bethesda was that Interplay needed to have full funds by April 4th, 2009, amounting to 30 million USD. It was always unlikely Herve would gain these funds, and Jason leaving Interplay can be seen as a sign that he hasn't.

I'd have thought Wasteland myself. Brain Fargo has the rights. I believe I read something about that somewhere, at some point.

You probably read it here on the Watch!! :)

Remake of the original would be nice.

Really? Why?

I mean, I'm not sure where InXile would get the funding, but "Jason Anderson" + "InXile" plus "epic game that will push the boundaries of RPGs" = Wasteland 2 (or Remake), no?

Yeah, sure...except, I can't see where you get the funding for Wasteland 2 in the current market.

Jason does seem to embrace Fallout 3's approach in the Gamasutra interview, so maybe they've taken that sort of approach. Still...would you fund it? Second to market after Bethesda with a fairly niche setting and a company that did The Bard's Tale and then mobile games?

Obviously it's a possibility...I guess we'll see.

You probably read it here on the Watch!! :)

Nah, it was either at the InXile site or one of the Wasteland fan sites. It's probably around here somewhere though.

Yeah, sure...except, I can't see where you get the funding for Wasteland 2 in the current market.

Why? Given Fallout 3's financial success, I'd say it makes it easier to get funding for another post-apocalyptic cRPG, made by one of the makers of Fallout. Wasteland has some name recognition as Fallout's predecessor, so I don't see why they'd make any other cRPG than Wasteland 2. For any publisher it would be a much safer investment than an original IP.

Sorry, but Wastland 2 doesn't sound to me like "an epic game that will push the boundaries of RPGs." I could be wrong, of course.

PS:T was rather something that's fit this description, but it would be too good to be true.

Sorry, but Wastland 2 doesn't sound to me like "an epic game that will push the boundaries of RPGs." I could be wrong, of course.

Any cRPG can be marketed as that, I wouldn't read too much into it. Just standard marketing speech.

Okay, if that's common ...

After what that company did to Bards Tale, it's hard for me to get excited.

Why? Given Fallout 3's financial success, I'd say it makes it easier to get funding for another post-apocalyptic cRPG, made by one of the makers of Fallout. Wasteland has some name recognition as Fallout's predecessor, so I don't see why they'd make any other cRPG than Wasteland 2. For any publisher it would be a much safer investment than an original IP.

I don't agree - but, hey, what do I know? It will certainly be interesting if true.

Well, I see your reservation, D, but on the other hand, would it be more likely for Fargo to be able to find funds for an RPG without the Wasteland license?

A big, huge, "maybe?". I guess I think Fallout 3's success is a combination of Bethesda, the style of game they make and the extra profile from the Fallout license (both fans and noise created by the hardcore anti-Beth groups).

Wasteland obviously still has fans around but its sheer age means that's a smaller group and those memories are even more faded. I also think post-apoc is niche without a juggernaut like Beth attached to it, so a mainstream fantasy game would easily overcome any advantage of "Wasteland" in my mind if I were a publisher.

But who knows? Maybe their pitch hit exactly the right clone-of-Fallout-3 notes to get a publisher excited.

I wonder, will they do to Wasteland, what they did to Bard's Tale??!!?? :)

Back
Top Bottom