The ever-popular "Currently Listening" thread

Sad about Ether Aura--I liked them.
AFA mrs dte--she'll have to hold her own end up. If she promises to handle bon jovi, I won't ask her to have a thing for Keith Richards. Fair? (I'm not even sure he has a thing, at this point.)
Actually, you might enjoy the new incarnation of Ether Aura, The Blueflowers. They went from shoegaze to Americana. Not really my cup o' tea, but I can appreciate the talent. Kate sounds very good and the style certainly puts her vocals front-n-center. Blueflowers has a MySpace page as well, which I'm sure is linked somewhere on the Ether Aura page if you don't feel like using their search function.

You definitely won't have any competition for Keith from Mrs dte. Her only infidelity to Bon Weenie is Chris Daughtry, and that's only because she was pissed when Bon Jovi went country.

Actually, you might enjoy the new incarnation of Ether Aura, The Blueflowers. They went from shoegaze to Americana. Not really my cup o' tea, but I can appreciate the talent. Kate sounds very good and the style certainly puts her vocals front-n-center. Blueflowers has a MySpace page as well, which I'm sure is linked somewhere on the Ether Aura page if you don't feel like using their search function.

Found a place where you can listen to samples:
http://cdbaby.com/cd/blueflowers
Not nearly as gazy and a bit more bland, but she still has the voice.

... that's only because she was pissed when Bon Jovi went country.
O_O I don't know that I even want to think about that. I lost my C & W mojo completely when Hank Williams Jr--of Whiskey Bent and Hell Bound (and --Mr Weatherman; my personal fave, even if the tune is a rip-off of Free Bird)--started showing up at Sarah Palin rallies, but if I hadn't the thought of bon jovi twanging away would have done it even earlier.

A very powerful song. It's an acoustic remake of an older song. Stunningly beautiful. Suffers much from the lossy audio compression tho.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z97_bH_dwc4

Cool! Original is probably my favourite from Judgement and I consider Judgement their best album.
This version surely takes no prisoners on the emotional side but dynamic-wise I still slightly prefer the original.
I´m quite looking forward to their next studio full-length, though I´m bit worried it will be too sentimental for its own good.

As for what I´m listening to right now:

maudlin of the Well - Part the Second (2009)

They´ve just released the album for free, In Rainbows style.
The production of the album was fully fan-funded.

It isn´t as diverse as Bath/Leaving Your Body Map, contains no harsh vocals and it´s overall much softer ... and it´s rather great.
Interesting soundscapes throughout and really superb, lush chamber sound.

Can be dowloaded from their website - http://www.maudlinofthewell.net/

Opener:
Excerpt from 6,000,000,000,000 Miles Before....

Last edited:
Just returned from the WGT; I managed to see several of the roughly 200 bands playing there over the weekend (let's say... seven, and none of those I actually wanted to see... just like last year). The last act I saw (on Monday) was the one I liked best: Patenbrigade:Wolff. For a trance/ambient/electronica duo, their stage show was rather funny. And they really like heavy machinery :rotfl:...
Actually I prefer the original - ambient - version of the song I linked to to the club mix, but I couldn't find it on the net.

I came across a song from Nik Barscht's Ronin album Holon called Modul 42 ... and I recalled I hadn't gotten the earlier album Stoa ... remedied that and have been seriously digging his 'Zen Funk' ever since ...

The voice of An April March is back in the saddle, and all is good.

"Stubborn Taurus" by Danella Hocevar

The Congos - Heart of the Congos (1977)

Great, great reggae rootsy album.
Rastas singing about fishing and shit.
Very uplifting and relaxing. Nice vocals too.

Fisherman

Solid Foundation
Best reggae song evah! I simply love the feeling in the first half (the second, instrumental, half basically serves as a coda for the whole album).

Murcof - Martes (2002)

Very introspective glitchy minimal techno with strong infusion of modern classical music.

Memoria

Mir

Last edited:
Premiata Forneria Marconi - Storia di un minuto (1972)

One of the best italian prog releases. Nothing really visionary but, cool music in there anyways. Sometimes cheesy, but it¨s moose milk one we´re talking about.

Live versions of songs from the album:

Quando

Impressioni di Settembre

Last edited:
Another tape - rip that I got around to buying from Amazon:

Art Tatum - 20th Century Piano Genius

The 2CD's were stuffed on one tape, which had pretty lousy quality to begin with and the years weren't kind. Amazon had it for ~$10 last week ... wonderfu lpiano music.

Hope Chest acutally checked in at MySpace after many moons. A few new tunes up and a new video! Pretty good stuff, too. This is more Sarah-sound indiepop than shoegaze, but still very good.

"Sleeper" by Hope Chest

@DeepO: Wow, wonderful!

Today I was - don't ask me why - reminded of this one:

Youssou N'Dour, Neneh Cherry: 7 seconds A beautiful song, a beautiful video, and - the part I understand - good lyrics:

"And when a child is born into this world
It has no concept
Of the tone the skin is living in"

According to Wikipedia it's about the first 7 seconds of life - we're born, and we have no idea about what lies before us. It touches me, because this is something I actually think about.

I probably should listen more to Youssou N'Dour.

Back
Top Bottom