Avernum 6 - Review @ JayIsGames

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Indie site JayIsGames takes a look at Avernum 6. The article is generally positive, though there is some criticism - here's an example of both:
What's actually disappointing is the lack of evolution the series has displayed. This final installment was their chance to wow us with something new, and instead Avernum 6 barely tries anything different at all. While the turn-based combat does give you a chance to plan your strategies, after a while it just feels frustratingly slow and tedious, as does constantly tapping [G] to search your surroundings for items. The game looks basically the same since its initial installment, despite some minor graphical changes and improved interface, and it winds up feeling a little stale as a result. If you've played any of the previous games, Avernum's gloomy underground terrain will have lost much of its mysterious appeal, and the game just doesn't feel like it's trying to surprise you anymore. Oh, dear, is it another mushroom farm and lizard caravan? Ho, hum. Half the fun of the series has always been exploring strange new locales, and too much of where you go in Avernum tends to feel familiar.
The series continues its tradition of fine writing bolstered by a dry sense of humour. The game makes such a huge point early on about stressing that you joined the army to become a hero and how disappointed you are with your current position that it comes as no surprise to absolutely anyone when you're suddenly called upon to save the realms. And yet, because of the strength of the writing, the way the story enfolds feels quite natural and exciting. You work your way up from lowly Food Depot worker to hero as you move from one quest to another, and looking back on how far you've come is very satisfying.
More information.

Bit odd expecting massive evolution from the last game in a series . . . if he's got cool new shit then he's going to be pumping it all into his new IP, realistically this was just going to be a "more of the same" release to build up a bit of cash to give him the time to innovate and get his new IP out.

I'm happy with more of the same anyway, they're always solidly put together games that I enjoy playing.

Bit odd expecting massive evolution from the last game in a series . . . if he's got cool new shit then he's going to be pumping it all into his new IP, realistically this was just going to be a "more of the same" release to build up a bit of cash to give him the time to innovate and get his new IP out.

I'm happy with more of the same anyway, they're always solidly put together games that I enjoy playing.

I agree. I feel the exact same way

Back
Top Bottom