Skyrim - "Hearthfire" DLC Rumours

Like how you only picked part of my reply to respond to. Now I'll go get my soapbox and cry were all doomed and the gaming industry is in decline.:p

Every release from Bethesda has bugs that never get fixed and dlc that adds more. Nothing new. It must be a design decision. Wonder if they have meetings about how many more they can add then ignore.:)

What kind of bugs are you talking about, is this stuff that really impacts your game? Are you sure it's not related to a mod or perhaps your graphics card driver?

Haven't played Dawnguard yet, so I'm not sure about the stability of this DLC, but the only kind of serious bugs I've experienced in Skyrim so far were solely due to mods with script problems. I've played a lot of hours and as for the vanilla game the only bugs I've noticed have been extremely minor stuff that doesn't cause crashes, and hasn't affected my enjoyment of the game. For example, a companions radiant quest stayed in my quest log after completing it, or this Louis Letrush character had cloned himself, etc.

I'm a lot more concerned about some bugs in the Creation Kit which have made it challenging to develop large mods with voiced dialogue. The vanilla game, however, has been perfectly stable for me so far.

Chocula, cmon. It's not graphics card driver. I haven't spotted any graphics driver related bug anywhere (GTX560). And even if I did I wouldn't care probably.

I'm talking about other stuff. You've mentioned one, if I solved a quest, why do I have to see it in the journal for eternity? There is at least a dozen of those in my journal. And also there is a very annoying sound, chainsawlike, you get when entering a room and some book you can't move, pick up or something just vibrates on the desk. All the time. Till the judgment day it will vibrate and produce a pain in your ears. Lydia doorblocking is an unbelievable thing, how that bug managed to pass into the release I can't understand, did they betatest the game at all? Etc etc, yes it's all minor stuff, but after a while when I see so many of those things, I get very nervous. And I thought that the point of any game is getting fun and not getting nervous. Bethesda thinks otherwise.

Some of this stuff you are mentioning, the clutter physics behavior, the sound design when you enter a room, Lydia's A.I., these are not even bugs, this is how the game world was designed.

Perhaps these particular details can be annoying, but they are not really bugs, and they are not likely to be changed in a future patch. If Lydia is blocking a door, approach her and she steps aside after a very brief delay. If the delay is really long for you, or for example, when you talk to an NPC if there is a delay, etc., this could be a symptom of a mod script problem slowing down the timing of the game.

oh man, you don't know what you're missing. after I discovered mods allowing me to continue playing OB, I haven't played a minute of any beth game vanilla. I'm amazed you don't think any aspect of the game could be improved. And even if you think the gameplay's perfect, there are always the cosmetic improvements like our very own vurt's floral overhaul making the plants purtier.

Or maybe you're one of those who think "cheats and nudity" when referring to mods? In which case I agree with you as I can't stand those either. :D

I know :lol:
Unfortunately, I seem to have a mind block when it's related to mods. Even the graphic mod for Deus ex HR, which made me very tempted, was not enough to break me.
Since the old times when my brother used mods for duke nukem 3d, doom, unreal, quake etc I turned my nose up at them.
I'm very aware vanilla is not perfect but to me it seems I would be desecrating it by using mods (I'm crazy I know that).
Maybe I'll be able to finally install and play Skyrim by the half of 2013 so I might change my mind. I hear it's got a ton of mods! :biggrin:

Some of this stuff you are mentioning, the clutter physics behavior, the sound design when you enter a room, Lydia's A.I., these are not even bugs, this is how the game world was designed.

Not bugs? Okay. Those things should be redesigned then. Officially. Not by modders.

Is there any prospect of something meatier? Or do we have to wait for the inevitable ES6? I wouldn't pay $20 for Dawnguard but would pay more for an actual Skyrim expansion. But from what I can gather, those days are probably gone and we're stuck with money-making (small-scale) 'DLC' (or at least the suits hope the money-making part is true).

Is there any prospect of something meatier? Or do we have to wait for the inevitable ES6? I wouldn't pay $20 for Dawnguard but would pay more for an actual Skyrim expansion. But from what I can gather, those days are probably gone and we're stuck with money-making (small-scale) 'DLC' (or at least the suits hope the money-making part is true).

So true...
I miss the good old expansion packs.
Speaking of which, I don't remember the last game I played that featured an expansion pack. It's all about the DLC's nowadays.:'(

I know :lol:
Unfortunately, I seem to have a mind block when it's related to mods. Even the graphic mod for Deus ex HR, which made me very tempted, was not enough to break me.

I'd love to install that mod, but it's connected to a browser highjack piece of software.

Okay, it's official:

Hearthfire Trailer

Sadly, it seems another timed X360 exclusive.

On the upside, it is not the kind of DLC/Expansion Pack kind of thing I was waiting for so I don't mind waiting a bit longer.

I'm really hoping they've been slaving away at a gigantic expansion for the better part of this year and the DLC offerings up until now have just been exploring the ideas of the Gamejam while at the same time fullfilling the Microsoft contract so when a worthy Expansion sized DLC comes it will be available on all platform simultaniously.

(Note that even the adoption bit from the Gamejam has been rolled into this DLC.)

I'd love to install that mod, but it's connected to a browser highjack piece of software.

Hey! What does browser hijack mean? Is it a spyware or something?

A question: So won't this DLC be available for PC? I liked the concept but I don't have any consoles…

Looks nice, but PC users can use mods to do that already. The price is okay-ish, I guess.

@arthureloi
It will, but with the whole Microsoft exclusivity thing going on, it will probably be available in a month or two.

Looks nice, but PC users can use mods to do that already. The price is okay-ish, I guess.

@arthureloi
It will, but with the whole Microsoft exclusivity thing going on, it will probably be available in a month or two.

Thanks! That's cool, I can't touch games any time soon anyway:D

Since the old times when my brother used mods for duke nukem 3d, doom, unreal, quake etc I turned my nose up at them.
I'm very aware vanilla is not perfect but to me it seems I would be desecrating it by using mods (I'm crazy I know that).

You're missing out on a lot of great stuff bro. You'll be amazed at what the right mods can do for a game.

I've already said when Dawnguard was released…
Until I see a thorough OFFICIAL patch that will address at least 90% of tons of bugs, I'm not buying any DLC.

I'm in the same boat as you. No DLC and no further purchases of Skyrim related anything until/unless there is a substantial patch from Bethesda that fixes bugs.

And not just another underwhelming short patch list with 5 or 10 bugs fixed, but a comprehensive list in line with what is already known on the unofficial bug list for Skyrim. And personally, I'd like quest bugs in great quantities to be fixed.

Since the release of Arena I openly admit that I have been a big fan of Bethesda and their TES series. I have really enjoyed playing all the TES games. But Arena was released in 1994 - 18 years ago. And in all that time Bethesda has made little improvements with their polish and after-release support (game patching). That isn't to say that they haven't improved at all, they have, but only modestly.

I would like to see a level of polish similar to what Blizzard used to be known for (and is still much better than Bethesda today). Imagine a level of polish equal to the graphics of Skyrim - that is what I'm looking for out of Bethesda.

I will still buy TES games from Bethesda. But no more day 1 purchases for me. And no purchasing of individual DLCs or expansions until they greatly improve their polish and react much more significantly to any bugs that are discovered post release. I'll wait it out and buy GOTY versions at bargain bin prices. As I like to say, a game isn't old if you've never played it (well, that saying holds up a lot of the times, though not always).

Well so much for the mini expansion dlc that was promised. Tod Howard lied. It's a shame all the dlc for Fallout NV was better than any DLC Bethesda has released since Oblivion.

Say what you want about Obsidian but they know how to craft rpg's better.

They certainly know how to WRITE better. No question about it. However Beth has it down pat how to develop a sandbox game. Two different aspects of game dev they respectively excel at.

Back
Top Bottom