Divinity 2 - Shaky cam video @ YouTube

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
Last friday a presentation of Divinity was given by Larian Studio's Swen Vincke at the Games Convention. A video of this presentation was made by Xanlosch (a forum member of the Divinity 2 forums).
It shows the first live footage of the game and it is split up in 3 videos:

More information.

This is actually looking very good. I haven't kept up with Divinity 2, as I have never played the first and Beyond Divinity is unplayed on a shelve, but now I have an interest in this game.

I talked to Swen Vincke after the presentation about Div2. He said that the last part of Divine Divinity was so hack'n'slay-ish because they ran out of money, and it will be much better this time. :)

Looks fantastic.

Just WOW? awesome, the problem with Europa RPG games where the engine of the games, now they are beginning to use engines of others company's and dedicate just for the story.

See what happen with Gothic 3, engine made in house a disaster.

The witcher, made with bioware engine aurora, game is so beautiful, even better than nwn 2,

Now see Divinity 2, they are using the gamebryo engine (that use oblivion) to make a fantastic rpg, they stay true to their roots, divine divinity was a action rpg with heavy old school rpg elements, this one is a action rpg, they update the engine and do something awesome with it.

I just hope more Europa developers see this a example.
________
XS ELEVEN

Last edited:
Truth be told, Gothic 3 on a high end computer looks better than any other RPG I've ever played (including Oblivion), but yes, it also lead to tons of bugs.

On the other hand, I think Gothic 1 and 2 also had an engine developed by PB, and that turned out better superb.

They have changed gameplay drastically... I think it would be better with isometric view, but that's not what casual gamers want these dark days. Only Blizzard stays true :)

A few quick reactions:

1) Does look awfully nice, as far as you can tell from a shaky cam vid
2) Is it just me, or does the name of the opening town sound like Fargrove? :devilish:
3) You can invest in a reading minds skill to use in dialogue? Awesome!
4) "10 to 20 possible endings for the average side quest" wha? did i hear that right?:wideeyed:

4) "10 to 20 possible endings for the average side quest" wha? did i hear that right?:wideeyed:

That´s correct. dtp forced them to go down a bit.

All I can say is 'thank you Europe' for coming out with some games to look forward too.

Q2/09

------------------

Personally, in a public presentation I would avoid using the word "Dragonslayer" three times or so in every single sentence...

They have changed gameplay drastically... I think it would be better with isometric view, but that's not what casual gamers want these dark days. Only Blizzard stays true :)

I think you are quite mistaken about that one. The "casual gamer" part I mean.
Real casual gamers would most certainly prefer an isometric perspective because it is the most simple (you just point and click - doesn't get more simple than that), most accessible (very low requirements regarding player skill and hardware) and most convenient perspective. You do not need any spatial awareness and only very limited orientation skills in an isometric game. You also don't usually get motion sick from an isometric game and casual gamers who -by definition- don't play a lot of games are definitely more prone to motion sickness than non-casual gamers.

In fact one could argue that Blizzard is once again making the much more casual gamer friendly game due to the choice of perspective than Larian.
After all, you do need a certain level of proficiency and experience at keyboard and mouse control to successfully navigate a character in 3D through a 3D world.
An isometric game with simple point and click mechanics on the other hand can be picked up by just about anyone age 4-99 within a couple of minutes.

I would agree that the market (of mainstream PC and console gamers) requires 3D nowadays but 2D is certainly a lot more casual gamer friendly. Or to put it this way: If I had to make a AAA full price video game with a target of 500K sales on the PC then I'd always go for a 3D engine but if I had to make a $9.99 game for the casual gamer market with a target of 1M+ sales then (even if I had the budget to make it 3D) I'd make it 2D to reach as many people as possible.

Back
Top Bottom