Sir-Tech - The Roots of CRPGs @ Bitmob

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Next up in Bitmob's company-based CRPG history is the legendary Sir-tech:
A space-based wargame, Galactic Attack, was the next project, said to have been dreamt up during the drive back home from the show (though a vague Wikipedia entry doubts this story by saying that it was adapted from another early PC game: 1973's Empire). After convincing Fred Sirotek, Sr. to part with the capital to get the project started, Infotree completed Galactic Attack and sold enough to fund the next one -- and the company that would bring it to the world: Sir-tech. It was a game that Woodhead had been playing at Cornell with fellow student Andrew Greenberg: Dungeons of Despair.
More information.

The Wizardrys are my idea of the perfect RPGs. Some people prefer games with more story. Others prefer game with more 'freedom'. Wizardrys are more tactical, more about the party. Wizardry 7 and 8 are my favorite RPGs of all time.

I really enjoyed Bane of the Cosmic Forge. It's my favorite of the series. I didn't care for the mixing of S/F with fantasy the later games added.

The Wizardry and the Jagged Alliance series have cult status.

That was a pleasant read, thanks Dhruin.

Whilst I've played Wizardry 8 and had a great time with it; eventually beating it after an arduously adventurous two months or so, I really have neglected to get into the rest of the series, particularly compared to other classics of the era (Ultima and Bard's Tale). Must track down the first two games for C64 one day!

This piece serves as a kindly reminder of the legacy of a highly influential series.

Back
Top Bottom