Dark Messiah - Review @ ComputerGames.ro

Dhruin

SasqWatch
ComputerGames.ro let us know they have posted their review of Dark Messiah, with a score of 80%:
The game is divided into ten chapters excluding the tutorial. The size and difficulty varies depending on locations and enemies populating them. You will encounter necromancers during the first and last chapters, orcs and undead on the deserted island and ghouls during the last levels of the game. There are quite a few surprises along the way, but who am I to spoil your fun? Fighting all these enemies requires quite a bit of skill and, of course, wisely invested skill points. One thing should be reminded here. If you expected a complex RPG, then you’re in for a big disappointment. They’ve never said that Dark Messiah is an RPG, but a first person fantasy action game with role play elements. Yes, it takes a more words that I initially thought in order to describe it, but this is accurately telling you what you should expect. It is a first person shooter in a fantasy universe and your character can get better skills and spells by distributing skill points that you get after completing objectives. Any true RPG rewards a player after killing mobs, but not this one. When you complete important objectives you receive skill points that you can spend in one of the three trees at your disposal. Being primarily a first person shooter, the role play elements were kept to a bare minimum, so you will see basic skills like critical hit, archery, melee combat, strength, flame arrow, fireball, heal, telekinesis, magic affinity, endurance, mana regeneration, stealth or burglary. I haven’t mentioned all of them, but as you can see, you can either become a warrior, a mage or assassin.
More information.

Last edited by a moderator:
Any true RPG rewards a player after killing mobs, but not this one.
That is quite a dumb statement to make. Apparently someone hasn't even played VtM: Bloodlines. :)

That is quite a dumb statement to make. Apparently someone hasn't even played VtM: Bloodlines. :)

I wrote that because this is a system widely spread....i know..it's a bit forced....probably I should have used just "most RPGs". I'll modify...thanks

It would have been better to say that 'most rpg's' reward kills as well as quest completion.

There are quite a few surprises along the way
Really? I found that the game was so hamhanded in its storytelling that things that might have been surprising were pounded into me repeatedly ...

please, dont take it out of context....i didn't mention cyclops in the previous sentences and then you also have the end level liches. i was talking about monsters to kill, no storyline surprises. indeed, there are no major surprises in the storyline, except probably the multiple endings.

Back
Top Bottom